Subject: Another fight question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for being a bit dense here, but the wording in the rules confuses me. Here's what they say about fights:

Quote:
If the Martian Pack wins (has a higher roll), the Hero takes one wound.
If the Hero wins (has a higher roll), one Martian in the space is wounded (Hero’s choice) and the Fight ends.

Why do they stipulate that the fight ends if a Martian wins, but not if a Hero does? I'm trying to picture the scenario. Let's say a Hero is in the same space as a 3-Martian pack. The Hero rolls higher which, presumably, kills a Martian and the fight's over, I get that. The implication of the rules, though, is that if the Martian pack wins the fight continues. Is that right? In other words, a fight can't end until at least one character dies, is that correct?

The rules similarly don't mention the fight ending if there's a tie. They just say no one wins or loses. Does the fight continue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
This was also brought up here:
Fights only ends when Heroes win?

The consensus is that, like in LNOE, fights are only 1 round regardless. My guess is it says "the fight ends" for Hero's winning in case someone might think the fight continues because there are other martians in the pack? The other possibility is that they used the LNOE rulebook as a template and it is leftover text from the fended off result they forgot to remove.

I found it's already very challenging for the heroes, so I don't think the martians need a boost to keep fighting if they win the roll!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realise LNoE had the same ambiguity as well, which means I might have been playing that wrongly also. I'd love to get a clarification. From watching playthroughs, everyone seems to do one round regardless which makes sense but I wonder why they specifically put that line in if there's actually no difference who wins.

There's another line in the rules that relates to this which could be ruled either way, too. You cannot heal during a fight. Do they mean a fight against more than one enemy, or does it just underline that a fight only ends when someone is killed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules refer to the fact that if there are several heroes on a space with a martian pack the PACK will have to fight EACH HERO one at a time. After a hero is wounded the pack will attack the other hero and so on

BUT

If a hero damages the PACK then the FIGHT is over and the PACK cannot attack any other hero that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.