Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Not counting dice and such, there are two important items that FLAC players will need to bring to the gaming table. The first item of course will be aircraft miniatures, but to be honest, FLAC can easily be played with aircraft counters instead of miniatures or models. It is just that the miniatures give the game that visual appeal most gamers like. Also, with miniatures it is easier to depict diving, climbing, and banking, which is harder to do with a counter.

The second item players will need are maneuver dials. Now, players might be put off by this, but the dials are simple to make and are easy and convenient to use during game play. “So, how do you make them?” you say. Well, there are several ways to make them, and it depends on the materials you have at hand. For me, I only had primitive materials and tools to use to make the very first batch of twenty-four maneuver dials. These were made “quick and dirty” in a short period of time - approximately two hours or so.

1) I printed up four sheets of the maneuver dials. You can find the maneuver dial sheet in the back pages of the rule book.

2) I took two big empty cereal boxes and cut out the front and back parts.

3) I sprayed the cereal box pieces (the none printed side) with 3M’s “77 Super Spray Adhesive” (great stuff!), and carefully set the printed sheet on top.

4) I simply cut out the bits.

5) I used punch hole pliers to make the center holes in all three bits (separately), and assembled them on a brass eyelet, which come in all sorts of types and sizes. I then used my eyelet pliers to close the brass eyelet, but don’t press to hard! You have to be able to rotate the dial, so only use enough pressure to squeeze the eyelet closed for a semi-firm fit, but not so much that it makes it difficult to rotate the dial.

As a final step, I spray painted the back sides of the dials black to cover the cereal box printing. Not necessary, but it just looks better I think.

Incidentally, we still use these same maneuver dials, but one of our club members had some special laser cut FLAC maneuver dials made, which brings us to another option. FLAC players can have special maneuver dials made. That is, to have them laser cut out of MDF, plastic, or acrylic if they like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.