Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Roth
United States
cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently purchased BSG with Pegasus and Daybreak expansions. This Saturday 6 of us are going to play it for the first time. Should we just play vanilla since it's are first time? Are there components from the two expansions we could add to make the game better - without adding too many rules?

Thanks in advance for any input...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally, I would go with just the original copy and for six people do the non-sympathizer variant. The other ones add additional rules that you can mess up. I wouldn't add any expansions until you've played several games of the base, and know the rules completely. Then adding the additional rules will be much easier.

But if you insist on adding an expansion I would go with Daybreak over Pegasus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am with Chris and it MIGHT NOT be a bad idea for instance to go fully cooperational - but this depends on if you are seasoned boardgamers or such. With new people to gaming I would go that way, but with experienced players having a cylon or two for the first game will also not be bad. Only, they will not know right away how to secretly harm the fleet the best way so... But have fun!!! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe just the Pegasus board to give you guys some more locations to use, but other than that, i'd keep it simple and just play base game for your first one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with just the base game. Before you start, go through the setup and a few player turns by yourself. If a question comes up during the actual game, do not dwell on it for too long, just make a ruling and check it out after the game, and also read through the rules again. Repeat for the first few games.

You can well have 2 cylons without the Sympathizer for the first game. (I.e. for a 6-player game shuffle 10 You are not a cylon and 2 You are a cylon cards.)

When you have the base game rules correct, then you have an idea what to add, and how much to add at once (how the group will handle it). All additions change the game (not necessarily better, but also not worse, just different), so your strategies have to adapt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Play with the base game with the "No Sympathizer" variant, the Pegasus Investigative Committees and Plastic Basestars (both of the latter instead of the base game components, of course).

When you've got a handle on that, then you can start adding some other expansion stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roth
United States
cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys! I did read the base rules along with Pegasus and Daybreak. I was already thinking playing the base game with just adding the Pegasus board so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. I do like the idea of setting the game up and play a couple rounds solo to get a feel of the game. I think I'll do that tonight.

Again, thanks for the quick responses - much appreciated. Can't wait to try this one out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob,

you might even check one of the PBF topics here on BGG, those with only the base game used. There you can pretty much see how such a game evolves and though many times you might find some elaborate "thinking" going on (mostly from experiences players), it is really the actions the players do that matter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my opinion that the expansions ultimately detract from the base game. Go with the base game initially, it's busy and tense enough, it will give you many sessions of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game to start off should be fine.

The only case I'd say to go for expansions from the start is if everyone/majority has a preference for those, and you know you won't be able to get in enough games often enough to get to that point sooner or later (e.g., some people can only manage to get BSG to the table 3 to 6 times a year. If your end goal is to play with all expansions, may want to do so sooner than later). As for missing stuff, you're going to do so with the base game anyways.

Another case against just the base game won't apply to your group for now is once people become very good at just the base game, then it becomes difficult for cylons to win, especially if NOT using Pegasus style Investigative Committees that also reveal Destiny. It's too easy to keep track of the skill cards due to lack of variety, and you really don't have much opportunity to sabotage while staying hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play the Base game. Do NOT add the Pegasus board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick with the base game. Replace base game cardboard Basestars and Centurions with their plastic counterparts from Pegasus/Daybreak respectively. Maybe replace the base game Investigative Committee skill cards with the Pegasus versions.

When you come to add expansion components, avoid the Pegasus components that get replaced by Daybreak ones (Treachery and Cylon Leader Agendas).

I'd probably add Daybreak components and mechanics before Pegasus - movement abilities are weirdly counter-intuitive, and reckless skill checks are a relatively large amount of rules for a relatively minor part of gameplay (and get rewritten to work with Daybreak Treachery anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.