Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many monsters damage you if even they miss your AC. A question came up from a game I played recently. I was using Tarak and he got hit for some damage from a monster. I decided to use his utility power that allows a hit from a monster to become a miss. That particular monster still does 1 damage on a miss. Does Tarak still take the 1 damage or does the utility card override all of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would say you take the damage as the monster never "hit" you to have the power make it a "miss".

Just because of how it is worded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A miss is a Miss. Your power doesn’t change its damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what if someone is using "Critical miss" (automatic miss + no miss damage) on every natural 1?
I would say/rule that in such case: no damage would be applied (as the outcome of miss can be that 1 too).

IMO this won't disrupt any balance, so in fact - it might be applied to the standard play as well (if all players agrees on it; it will mainly help to the weaker characters anyway).

But of course - ruling strictly with the card's wording without house-rules, miss damage should be applied (as nowhere it is written the opposite).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several utility cards affected by this ruling (miss damage yes/no):

Bodyguard (Arjhan)
Shield (Immeril)
Shield of Faith (Thorgrim)
Tumbling Escape (Tarak)
Parry&Strike (Artemis)

And as it seems that both interpretations could be valid, we will go with the "no miss damage" for our next plays.
-> IMO this is just a small boost for Heroes (if any at all)..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D Next Q&A: 10/17/13 (general discussion)

Also, What is the designers reasoning behind the "damage on a miss" mechanic and what is their reasoning behind it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Franklin1742 wrote:
Is there an official ruling on this point?

Presuming we are taking about 'Tumbling Escape'. The power card wording is clear. "Use this power when a Monster hits you with an attack." So the power can only be used if the Monster scores a hit, not when it misses. It is the die roll that determines hit or miss, and only the die roll.

Once the Monster has a hit we can choose to play the Utility Power card, and that card should take precedence, and cause the attack to miss entirely. I see no obligation to go back and change the result of the original die roll.

Given that a valuable power card is used, this interpretation seems quite reasonable.

Yep, tumbling escape is the power in question in my example. Everything you said here is exactly what I was thinking. I went ahead and played it that he took no damage whatsoever. Otherwise it makes the power, and others like it, pretty weak in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.