Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Vosahlo
Czech Republic
Velvary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not participate in the KS for the game, but I would like ask backers to share their overall impressions about the campaign and delivery. What was the delay? Was the communication OK?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McHugh
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought their communication was very good. The only problem for me and I don't think it was their fault was how the payment from kick starter went. Since I live in the U S , there was a different kind of pay structure and there was a lot of sending and resending of information. Again I do not blame them and I received my game and k s stuff in great shape and wasn't missing anything. So, from my stand point they delivered in everything and were very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Zombi
France
Near Dijon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a few months of delay, compared to their planned delivery, but it was their first KS and they are a little company, considering that I think they've made an excellent job. They delivered what they promised, the miniatures are awesome with a lot of details, the game is really fun and easy to play. I really don't regret my investment !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delivery was supposed to be Oct 13. Arrived June 14. So a "few months" delay was 8 months. Probably on average for a miniatures based KS project.

Communication was not great. They did not respond to KS comments and there are KS backers who have complained in comments that they don't respond to KS messages either. I'm not sure if a language barrier played any part of that. A lot of their website is in French.

Support for the game in terms of forums, etc seems to be lacking. For example, there isn't anything about how to put the miniatures together. One of them has multiple parts. Maybe it's obvious to a miniatures guy, but I'm more of a gamer.

Every KS is missing the same batch of miniatures which the company is promising they will send out. I'll reserve final judgement until those are received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaat Van Hee
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The communication there was, was sometimes as confusing as hell. Missed deadlines, wrong info were rather the norm (and math is defintely not the strongest point of Taban). The communication where the extra boards were going added to every base box also doesn't sit well with me.

After delivery, everybody started mentioning the missing bots (smaller robots) in the base box and the additional set of bots for the sensei levels. The excuse for the missing bots in the base box was a mispack of the chines manufacturer. But the description of the box mentions effectively the amount of bots that are included in the box (which does not correspond with the description of the kickstarter)! So I don't think it is fair to blame the chinese manufacturer. It's a missed QC thing in my opinion.

Some people are missing cards, wrong language cards, etc.. How and when this is going to be resolved is still a question. I don't doubt that it is going to be resolved though.

I do like the game but the post-delivery support and communication is lacking in my opinion. The presence of Taban on any english fora is as good as non-existent. This makes getting answers on some unclear game mechanics rather difficult. Fortunately the rules are quite clear.

It's again one of those companies (like Cipher) that hide after 'yes, but we are a small company and we've got lots of work...'. As a company, you need to know that when you run a rather succesfull KS you better get organised. Nowadays, we expect more from a game producer than simply producing a game....

I know the above might seem harsh but that is how I experienced the campaign. The question is would I be backing Taban again? Maybe, maybe not, it depends. But this is valid for a lot of companies that launch KS as I've gone into a mode of 'KS fatigue' after some bad experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Villars
Switzerland
Eschlikon
flag msg tools
mb
Communication is bad. Taban don't reply in the comments section.

I still have not received my game. I am waiting and waiting... and waiting :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaat Van Hee
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, that's defintely bad. I know that the presence of Taban on KS itself is as good as non-existent and I've also read stories that they don't even respond to mails

Their communication is indeed seriously lacking. A shame because they have some nice products....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McHugh
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have backed quite a few k s games and I would say is,that delays are the norm. I think all of these companys try to deliver on time but it seems like there is always something that causes the delays. It really doesn't bother me that much as long as I get "it". About communication, I didn't really follow the comments on k s, but they e-mail me quite a few times to make sure my address was up to date and like I said earlier the payment was different than the kickstarter payment that I'm use to due to the fact I live in the states. I myself had a good experience with them and probably back them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Morse
msg tools
I agree with Renaat 100%. Once money was in hand, Taban just about forgot about community relations. It's not too hard to periodically drive by the comments section and answer questions. It goes a long way toward keeping people excited about the game during delays and even after fulfillment. That the stat cards the rule book mentions to get online are available only in french shows Taban squandering a great opportunity. They exist in English, they just need to be uploaded. The fact is, between Escape and Eden, Taban has two very strong games that deserve a wider audience, but they don't seem to want to seize the opportunity dangling in front of their face and expand their customer base.

Just to give some perspective about delays in general, I keep a spreadsheet of everything I've backed and about 20% are within 30 days of estimated delivery for the first wave, 55% 1-6 months late and 25% more than 6 months, so 10 months is definitely more towards the extreme end of the scale. In fact, of all my miniatures based backings, it ties one other KS I backed for the longest past fulfillment. I've yet to have one later than 10 months late for initial delivery. Mantic tends to be on time, CMON tends to be a couple months late (or on time for Zombicide) and the more boutique ones like Hell Dorado and All Quiet on the Martian Front were in the 6 month range. If Kingdom Death, the ultimate boutique KS, delivers before September, it will be less late than Escape was. All that said, I don't tend to get too concerned about delays as long as we're kept in the loop about it and Taban was a bit spotty on that front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, this is not Taban's first crowdfunding campaign that can't be an excuse for them -- even if it is their first "Kickstater" campaign. They already ran another one previously for Eden on Indiegog. Although I suppose the China boardgame printing is a new experience for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaat Van Hee
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and now we're almost 3 months after the latest news on the missing swarmbots and Taban seems to have forgotten all about the kickstarter (if not the game entirely).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.