Subject: Confused by all the Banter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom glass
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am new to Kremlin. It is a game I have long been interested in playing but until the newest reprint never felt like handing over the sums of cash people were selling this game for.

That said, I am confused by all the discussion over errata and version rules. At this point the forums read well for established players but are confusing for those new to the game (or maybe just me).

From what I gather a number of people prefer the AH rules to any other, and it is possible to play those rules with the new edition. My questions:

1) If I choose to play the AH version of the rules with my JRG edition what components do I need to remove from those in the box(if any)?

2) Are the basic game rules and advanced game rules in the file section the AH rules? and are they immediately transferable?

3) What, if anything, do I need to ignore on the board/player aids?

4) Which influence pad do i use?

Thank you....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Yes the versions in the files are the AH rules.
And as I don't own a copy of the new one, that's all I can say with confidence.

My understanding is that the game can be played by the AH rules with little or no physical alterations, but I'll let someone with a more intimate knowledge of the new one confirm that for you.

Lots of people really like the Fata Morgana rules, and these vary only slightly from AH. It might be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eh, I wouldn't say they vary slightly. The way you win the game is significantly different and alters the way you approach the game.

I'm glad you're giving Kremlin a try.

Basically, you have the original Fata Morgana rules, then the AH rules. And now the 3 versions from JRG. One of which, Standard, comes really close to replicating Fata's version. 1928, resembles AH's winning conditions. Modern, a whole new way of playing, also resembles AH's winning condition but with a different tie-breaking method.

To play straight up AH with the new edition use the fictional politicians with only the red shaded intrigue cards.

Yes, there's nothing in the AH rules that can't be done with the new edition.

Ignore the Exile zone on the board.

You use the influence pad that's associated with the Politicians you used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All in all, the new rules are needlessly confusing, but salvageable. It's a shame the rules weren't posted as an open draft prior to printing. Besides the rules, the new edition is quite nice, and I'm happy to own it.

IMHO the FM rules remain the cleanest, easiest way to learn the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
DiploGuy wrote:
eh, I wouldn't say they vary slightly. The way you win the game is significantly different and alters the way you approach the game.

Insofar as the number of rules that are different, and the technicalities of play vary only slightly, making game play technically similar. But certainly strategies can change significantly with the change of any one rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zenflux
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done myself a ruleset for the JR print of Kremlin (in finnish I'm afraid ) with rules for three different versions.

The standard in JR Kremlin is near Avalon Hill version. So my standard is Avalon Hill's version. With the winning condition from Fata Morgana I can have a 4th "Original" version of the game.

The 1928 in JR Kremlin is almost like Avalon Hill version with the Revolution expansion. So my 1928 version is the Avalon Hill's version with the expansion rules.

And then we have the Modern version which I'm gonna play like JR states.

Now the rules feel quite clear and don't differ too much from version to version. The modern version is the only version that has the binding deals over phases thingy and some other new exciting stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.