Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife recently backed a game on KickStarter at a pledge level that allowed her to submit a picture of herself for the sake of "becoming" a creature in the game. Specifically, a zombie.

Before I progress this further, I want to note that I do not want to call-out any designer, company or the game that this issue has occurred with. It's not a smear tactic, just a bit of venting and some hope that in the future, backers of new games don't get screwed over as my wife did.

When you create a game and place it on KickStarter to be crowd-funded, be very careful with your pledge levels and what they offer. If I give extra money to have me in the game, then I better be in the game. Do NOT tell me that my likeness is going to be featured in the game, then have the final product show a character that is unrecognizable by my friends and family. This is what has happened to my wife.

She paid over the game's value to be in the game and the damn zombie looks NOTHING like her. She showed me the art for the five people who were made into zombies for this game and asked me to pick her out of the picture. In other words, the ol' line-up from down at the police station.

It was incredibly tough as I had to use deduction to narrow it down to two, where I chose correctly. ...her sister wasn't as lucky. It shouldn't be that tough.

There have been games placed on KickStarter that offer the same perk and the artwork has been stunning. The photo and the picture are nearly identical. Must be nice to pay more for a game and actually be recognizable therein. Not with this particular game, not for my wife.

It was very sad. She was excited to be able to show herself off to everyone, including her gaming friends, but now she's put off and disappointed that this random zombie is supposed to be her.

What a joke and a rip-off.

Please, designers and illustrators: if you're going to make people pay more to be in YOUR game, at least have the art turn out somewhat like the photo. I don't care if the character is going to be human or an undead zombie. Even a zombie will carry distinct human characteristics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you need to protect the guilty parties here. Feel free to name names. Personally I'd love to see the images and the photo you submitted to see how similar they really are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TTIWWP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
TTIWWP

QFT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I don't think you need to protect the guilty parties here. Feel free to name names. Personally I'd love to see the images and the photo you submitted to see how similar they really are.

Interested as well.

Better yet, post the lineup of characters as well as the picture submitted. Then make a poll and let us guess which one is supposed to be her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
TTIWWP

Actually, it doesn't require pictures at all. I am not looking for consensus here. I already know the art doesn't remotely match the photo. She's disappointed as I would be.

The point is that pledging more for personalization that ends up not being very personal is a rip-off. This goes well beyond my wife's situation and full into every crowd-funded project out there that offers the option. I wouldn't be surprised if others have experienced something similar.

Take my original thought as more or less a reminder to these illustrators who're contracted to create art for such projects. If you can't replicate a photo into simple game art, go back to school. You stink.

Thanks for the input, all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But...we want to see! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Sauer
United States
Hamilton Square
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.shootagaingames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly why when I offered people being in the game as a pledge level it was name only and I showed the exact imagine your name would be added to in the final printing of the game. As long as I spelled the name right I was golden. I considered adding people to the art as an option, but that seemed like a slippery slope. I did have my husband added into one of the cards though as a surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:
Take my original thought as more or less a reminder to these illustrators who're contracted to create art for such projects. If you can't replicate a photo into simple game art, go back to school. You stink.
You're laying all the blame at the feet of the illustrator... which may or may not be justified. It's possible that the people running the campaign dropped the ball and didn't get the photo to the illustrator in time and so they used some stock drawing for your wife's image. I'm not saying that's what happened, just that it's a possibility before you blame the illustrator.

Either way I think the only way to deter this behavior is to shame the game... Otherwise it becomes a non-event that no one notices. So if you truly want to prevent this from happening again then you need to make it a thing and make there be actual consequences to the bad behavior. So give them some grief for what they did. Otherwise no one here will even remember the discussion in a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.