United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if so, do share your experiences! For me, it's mostly distance ones, and passing that useless Mission for Food (as a gamble) we don't really need, nor the repaired location we didn't need either. We've finally been NOT playing to Earth since more newbies have gotten in (no Pegasus nor Exodus to keep things simpler and quicker? CHECK! Keeping in Daybreak for more variety? CHECK! But then we're going to Earth?), and even then sometimes the Earth material gets completely ignored anyways with folks not experiences enough to deal with the game itself, let alone that.

1) Remove a bs from the game or sort of the opposite by putting 1 out + damage Gally

2) remove 2 cents and heavies from the game or put each of them out

3) +2 food, and repair 1 damaged location can be useful if you're desperate to repair and/or really need the Food

4) in some senses, cylons are sort of already crippled by having to spend a turn to reveal, but if you have the cards to spare, destroying the hub can still be worth it.

5) The Rebel Basestar (RB or RBS) has been discussed on another thread and IIRC, a higher risk, higher reward option. It's a great way to utilize a mediocre/no good use miracle token and/or super crisis.

6) Speaking of which, gaining a mt back can be very nice. Like that super crisis Footage Transmitted that gives all cylons a super crisis card, but for humans instead. Interesting wording how it doesn't allow Cultar to gain a 2nd or 3rd mt (if he already has one), whereas other methods would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rarely, if ever.

The other cards are there primarily to make Demetrius an action sink.

I prefer Kobol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack on the Colony(? - the Basestar one) is great when passed - with only one Basestar in the game, a lot of the pressure gets taken off - Raiders/Heavies respawn more slowly, it's easier to keep ahead of damage, and so on. It's the difference between needing to take heroic measures to handle the space combat, and being able to take other actions and still stay ahead...

Pre-Sleeper, the distance Missions are a bit double-edged - sure, you've got a better chance of passing them when you don't have two hidden Cylons to sabotage them, but passing an early Search For Home (2 Distance) just means playing to Kobol with Sleeper at 2 Distance rather than 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
Attack on the Colony(? - the Basestar one) is great when passed - with only one Basestar in the game, a lot of the pressure gets taken off - Raiders/Heavies respawn more slowly, it's easier to keep ahead of damage, and so on. It's the difference between needing to take heroic measures to handle the space combat, and being able to take other actions and still stay ahead...

Pre-Sleeper, the distance Missions are a bit double-edged - sure, you've got a better chance of passing them when you don't have two hidden Cylons to sabotage them, but passing an early Search For Home (2 Distance) just means playing to Kobol with Sleeper at 2 Distance rather than 4.
I'd be more concerned about the possibility of you turning cylon after such a boon for humans. And I'm leaving out the distance Missions since they've been (relatively ) done to death. Already have a handle on those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We had a hidden Cylon go bust out a mission on his first turn as a way of soft revealing without even looking at it. It turned out to be the one that destroys the hub and the humans passed it. After I turned at sleeper, he and I lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
I'd be more concerned about the possibility of you turning cylon after such a boon for humans.

It's still good midway through the game - for example, it beats nukes as a counter to Massive Assault - okay, it leaves the Raiders behind, but it has the long-term benefit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
I'd be more concerned about the possibility of you turning cylon after such a boon for humans.

It's still good midway through the game - for example, it beats nukes as a counter to Massive Assault - okay, it leaves the Raiders behind, but it has the long-term benefit...
Point it you may be at a disadvantage if you don't wait until sleeper to do this when your Loyalty is confirmed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the thread I've been looking for...but I need more action in it! Disclaimer: I play Day+Pegasus.

Ok, look. Earth is basically saying go 2 more distance, and we'll give you these missions and the Captain's Cabin. If you ignore them...you're playing a tough Kobol game. The CC is great, but the missions?

And this is my problem...it seems that the distance missions are borderline mandatory to pass. I think you have to hit both spots, as well as have a different destination strategy (hello, Tylium Planets) to win. The other are a bit situational...but -1 basestar, hub destroyed are Ok.

IMO, the worst one in the game is the Cylon Civil War / Rebel basestar. Why? Why did the designers need to include a whole new board where such of small % of games will end of using it? And for what? A huge amount of card strength for the chance to spend a card transferring ships (and one coming back, if you don't want to be useless) and blowing your OPG for an ability that seems...maybe just as good? Granted, some character's OPG are terrible...some are good, but become useless. But for me...the "Wow" factor isn't there, considering all the humans give up to get it, and use it.

At least its way cheaper for the Cylons to fail the check. With Pegasus, there are a lot more "meh" Super Crises out there, so 2 raiders activated immediately might finish off an already dying human opponent. The crisis sorter is nice...but no bury is odd. Finally...searching through the skill deck...ugh. Cylons and Humans alike, that is pretty bad. Your OPG/SC has to be completely useless for it to make sense.

I think my frustration lies with it being so situational...a whole board dedicated to such a small thing...and here's hoping you have an MT left to spend on it (even if you thought it'd help).

Sorry...so Earth. Is it just a tax with Tactical Plot until you find search for home? That sucks...might have just stick with Kobol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say about half the games we win as humans we don't end up passing a single distance mission.

As far as the non-distance missions go, there is an unwritten rule among my gaming group that you always go for the Rebel Basestar mission. (So far, we've only seen the mission even come up once). I do wish that this board showed up a little more.

Apart from that, the two we frequently go for are the remove Basestar/remove Centurions missions. (Can't remember what their names are) Playing the game without a 2nd Basestar is huge, especially if the mission is passed early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
al_fredo wrote:
IMO, the worst one in the game is the Cylon Civil War / Rebel basestar. Why? Why did the designers need to include a whole new board where such of small % of games will end of using it? And for what? A huge amount of card strength for the chance to spend a card transferring ships (and one coming back, if you don't want to be useless) and blowing your OPG for an ability that seems...maybe just as good? Granted, some character's OPG are terrible...some are good, but become useless. But for me...the "Wow" factor isn't there, considering all the humans give up to get it, and use it.

At least its way cheaper for the Cylons to fail the check. With Pegasus, there are a lot more "meh" Super Crises out there, so 2 raiders activated immediately might finish off an already dying human opponent. The crisis sorter is nice...but no bury is odd. Finally...searching through the skill deck...ugh. Cylons and Humans alike, that is pretty bad. Your OPG/SC has to be completely useless for it to make sense.

I think you're massively under-rating the Datastream - it's comparable with Command Authority, and superior to Fast Learner.

Raider Bay is better than CAG (effectively 8/12/16 Viper activations, depending how many moves you'd need to get them there)

Hybrid Tank is extremely situational, but either late-game, or when the wrong Cylon Activation would be fatal, it can be a life-saver; and just knowing what's coming up is not a terrible thing.

Overall, I agree that the Rebel Basestar is unimpressive - it could really do with a reusable utility location - but the Cylon Civil War was a major part of the final season, so it makes sense that it gets at least a mention in-game.

Personally, if they wanted to add the RB board into the game, I'd just have had it appear at Sleeper and either ally or attack...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Datastream is OK, for sure...but note:

Fast Learner let's you see a crisis first, then pick the color. It's not an action. Command authority isn't an action either...and you can see exactly what your getting. You're probably getting more than 14 points.

Datastream IS an action. You're getting the best of the deck, assuming someone isn't holding a 5 point card in their hand. You'll burn 2 cards getting there and back. True: you can find the cards you want. Someone mentioned in another thread the Exodus card that gives fuel....but I'm not playing with Exo.

Civvies are usually directly below or aft of Galactica. The Bay get's a lot more out though. Is CAG really that good? It's 2 short of someone XO'd on Command.

Reuseable utility would be great. Maybe something like what a Pegasus or CFB space would do (for those that don't have those modules). I also think along with the 'action' space' it should say "Draw a card"...to at least make it not so painful for moving there and back.

I haven't played many games when the RBS is in play and when it is, if it is used at all. Just looking for interesting choices. I also feel like the spaces should favor the humans. After all...they need to do a lot to get it on their side...the Cylons just need it to fail.

And perhaps that is the best benefit of all...so the Cylons don't get it. Which is a bit lame! It's why I'm not super high on Earth yet, but everything else in Daybreak is a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
al_fredo wrote:

Reuseable utility would be great. Maybe something like what a Pegasus or CFB space would do (for those that don't have those modules). I also think along with the 'action' space' it should say "Draw a card"...to at least make it not so painful for moving there and back.

I'd advocate a "reusable utility". Don't know what that'd be though. And like with NC, you now have a case where Cally can execute revealed cylons, unless you make a house rule that locations are accessed the same, but there's some divider separating humans and revealed cylons on a same location

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still keep the allegiance concept, tho. Such that it is either available for revealed Cylons or humans...not both.

Something as simple as a "Draw 2 Cards" is not exciting (better than the press room, but worse than human fleet), but at least you might stay on board.

Maybe as space that place Cylon ships for cylons, and advances jump track for humans. Lots of ideas on Tdaver's Colony/Rebel basestar. Even "Discard 3 random skill cards, advance jump track by 1" is nice.
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1245760/tdaver?size=large
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1301534/tdaver?size=large

I was also thinking of tweaking Research Lab...and pretty much settled on draw 2, discard 1. Captain's Cabin is miles better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.