Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Oberhauser
Germany
Lauingen
Bayern
flag msg tools
Hi everbody,

this afternoon I opend my copy of Quarriors and was blown away... from a cloud of 'you-rellay-don´t-want-to-tuch-this-stuff'-smell of cheap plastic or paint. It seems that there are no such topics at bgg, so I wonder if I am over reacting. I am quite sure, that the dice are not the main reason for the smell, but the inlay and the zip-lock bags (inlay is a comon problem, but never had stinking zip-lock bags ).

It´s hard to tell, if the dice just smell because the where in the same box or if they are of the same bad material. Any experinces with that? I googled a bit and found an interesting (and very long) discussion in a german forum about mage knight, wich is from the same publisher (wizkids) and there where analysis about the material with not so good results, so i am a bit carful.

Greetings,
Michael

Edit: Dear god, lot's of typos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Picture or it didn... oh wait. Smell. Right.

I've smelled the contents of my box, but nothing really standing out. Yeah, it's smells like plastic, all right. I don't remember anything shocking when it arrived, either. I've played this game a lot and haven't developed anything on my skin, if that's what you're asking. I would, however, recommend against swallowing the dice ;)

Obviously, given the low quality of dice, you can expect that the production materials aren't brilliant. If that is a serious problem, then I would recommend checking another copy - but chances are, it will be the same.

As an alternative, get it out, let it breath on a balcony/porch for few days - maybe the smell will go away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember my copy of Quarriors having a "smell" but I know there is nothing like the wonderful aroma of fresh cardboard that comes with opening the lid of a new board game for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
joeyj1220 wrote:
I don't remember my copy of Quarriors having a "smell" but I know there is nothing like the wonderful aroma of fresh cardboard that comes with opening the lid of a new board game for the first time.

It has long been my hypothesis that the reason MtG players stick with the game for so long, constantly buying new booster packs, is because they're addicted to the smell of new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyj1220 wrote:

When it's printed in German or the Czech Republic.
There are exceptions, but most games from China come with The Stench(TM) or enough mold (though invisible) to make my eyes itch by the end of the game.
The itching goes away after repeated plays (i.e. handling of pieces), but it's amazing how I *never* get that from a game made in Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, games from Germany tend to have wooden components, that might be it :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dice never smelled. Is it a new box? Maybe one or some of the dice did not get the correct mix of chemicals or didn't cure all the way? I'd suggest put it outside (open) for a few days (not in direct sun) and see if it will out gas all the way. I hate that smell and you shouldn't breath it. The EU is much smarter about plastic toys IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does expensive plastic smell like?

Seriously, my Quarriors never had a discernible smell, or not one that you notice. I wonder if there was something it has subsequently come into contact with that has started some chemical reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oberhauser
Germany
Lauingen
Bayern
flag msg tools
After a walk with my dog and a fresh nose I have to say it´s even worse as the first impression. To be clear: It´s not the smell of 'good' plastic, it's the kind that let's itch my nose and after repacking I felt a bit dizzy (at this point the dice had lain for half a day at the fresh air, no sunlight).

I didn`t expected the best quality considering the price for so much dice, but I didn`t expected that. Well, it seems to be a single problem, becaus I couldn`t find anything like that for this game in the net. But it seems that there where issues with wizkids products in the past. Anyway, I ask my retailer if he takes it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, get rid of that one. You could always contact WizKids and ask...who knows, they may want to know for quality control feedback. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
BrackAttack wrote:
You could always contact WizKids and ask...who knows, they may want to know for quality control feedback.

Oh, that's a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M mom
Netherlands
doesburg
gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karlvonl wrote:
joeyj1220 wrote:

It has long been my hypothesis that the reason MtG players stick with the game for so long, constantly buying new booster packs, is because they're addicted to the smell of new cards.

Yep that lasted 12 years for me..now i go for the big box games whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.