United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Alcoholic - At the start of any player's turn, if you have exactly 1 Skill Card, in your hand, you must discard it.

It seems like they could've just made it at the end of any player's turn instead of at the start. Any case it would've mattered given just the base game or all the expansions?

Only possible timing issue I can think up of is this triggers at the same time as Ellen's OPG, but that's a trivial thing, if at all. Actually, Boomer would have to do her Recon first, THEN get to see Saul's discard. Anything else that makes a difference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a problem with how it is now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly to allow Tigh to help with a location (admirals quarters) and a Crisis skill check on the same turn without worry of triggering his downside between skill checks.

As for end of turn and begin of turn, I don't see a huge impact on gameplay with either interpretation. Perhaps it's at the beginning of the turn because that's when the Hangover hits.

---

On Alcoholic, generally:

Saul will usually dump all of his drawn XOs and LSs cards into checks but hold into his interrupts. SPs will be used frequently, however, Tighs drawback forces Tigh to hold back some of the time to avoid discarding his last skill card. (This is important for Cylon play as well: it allows Tigh to withhold cards, when, due to his skillset, his cards will help skill checks a substantial majority of the time).

In any case, Tighs drawback is less of a drawback with all expansions because there are, on average, fewer interrupts available to Saul Tigh. In the Base Game, Saul has to carefully manage helping skill checks and using his skill cards for interrupts. The demand for SPs will always be very high but Declare Emergencies lose a lot of their value because the conditions for DE occur less frequently with all expansions. (This is something I've noticed through many games with and without all expansions. In the Base Game, it felt like DE's text was a consistent lifesaver. With all expansions, the card feels best utilized for it's printed strength rather than it's text.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it does avoid any arguments about exactly when to check at the end of a turn - that is, before or after any crisis card. I can envision players arguing over if that's part of the turn or not and this avoids it entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamethrower49 wrote:
Is there a problem with how it is now?
No. Just curious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
Well, it does avoid any arguments about exactly when to check at the end of a turn - that is, before or after any crisis card. I can envision players arguing over if that's part of the turn or not and this avoids it entirely.

If someone were to argue that that just shows they have no concept of how a turn works according to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:

You already check hand limits at the end of every turn, so players need to get that right anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.