Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Galaxy Defenders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using tactics & skills after the dice roll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Advanced Gun Barrel" device says you must commit to using it before you roll the dice. Does this mean that other tactics, skills and devices can be used after the dice roll if they don't explicitly forbid it?

For instance, does the sniper get to choose to use his "Eagle Eye" after the dice roll, or does he have to commit to using it before he rolls?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can typically use tactics and skills after dice rolls. You just have to be in the correct combat phase (so you can use Eagle Eye after the dice roll, but you can't use it once you've moved to the defense phase).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
You can typically use tactics and skills after dice rolls. You just have to be in the correct combat phase (so you can use Eagle Eye after the dice roll, but you can't use it once you've moved to the defense phase).

Agreed! thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Heil
msg tools
Reading the rules, activating a akill or tactic is an action.
So how would it work to activate them mid-combat?

Second question: Is it possible to activate both skill and tactic (e.g. +1 hit dice and Eagle Eye) for the same combat?

Third question: Are you allowed to activate a tactic like reroll ammo/jam/skull even after having used an action before combat?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alibenbaba wrote:
Reading the rules, activating a akill or tactic is an action.
So how would it work to activate them mid-combat?


Your Action is much more flexible than Combat or Movement, so depending on what you're using it on you can spend it during combat or sometimes even outside of your agent's turn (this is much more rare). However, you only have one Action to spend each turn, so use it wisely! It's hands down the thing that's going to be limiting you the most (which is mainly why some of us have come up with action point systems).

Also note that if the skill/tactic says it's a "reaction", then you don't have to use your Action to trigger it. If it says it is "passive" it's always active and doesn't require triggering explicitly at all.

Alibenbaba wrote:
Second question: Is it possible to activate both skill and tactic (e.g. +1 hit dice and Eagle Eye) for the same combat?


Usually not, but there are exceptions. If one of them is a Reaction, then it doesn't require the use of your Action. Sometimes skills are paid for with something other than Action (like the sniper's "sacrifice your movement to reroll failed dice" skill), and that can allow you to get fancy.

Alibenbaba wrote:
Third question: Are you allowed to activate a tactic like reroll ammo/jam/skull even after having used an action before combat?


You only have one Action, Movement, and Combat for the entire game round (regardless of when you use them), so if you spent your Action prior to your agent's turn, you cannot use it again until the next refresh phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.