10 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: replacement miniatures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darth Desi

Washington
msg tools
probably a FAQ.. but are the fans of this game aware if you can buy more detailed ship miniatures, and use them on the game base?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthDesi wrote:
probably a FAQ.. but are the fans of this game aware if you can buy more detailed ship miniatures, and use them on the game base?

I've seen this done quite a bit, particularly with the ridiculously undersized USS Enterprise model.

It takes a bit of smart conversion work, but you should be able to get them to take a STAW peg without too much trouble. Micro machines ships seem to be popular replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I've proxied my two tinyprises with a micromachines enterprise and enterprise-a, and also replaced my excelsior with the micromachines version. They look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Desi

Washington
msg tools
nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my micromachines Enterprise in the mail and immediately thought 'It's too big'. I just will never be happy with a TOS Enterprise it appears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
I have used a starline 2400 enterprise from Amarillo design burea and it looks great.....you do need to paint and assemble however...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Ryan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this guys stuff:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/provider
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hadrian132 wrote:
I have used a starline 2400 enterprise from Amarillo design burea and it looks great.....you do need to paint and assemble however...

Amarillo design bureau/Task Force Games/Star Fleet Battles (both 2400 and 2500) are good sources and indeed the original ships had a nice keyed hole not dissimilar to the one AW uses. In fact you can just use the AW stands pretty successfully without modification. The lead models have the potential of overwhelming the stand however.

The original plastic Constitution, Saladin (DD), and Federation (DN) are all made of a superb, durable, stiff, lightweight plastic and were made originally by Gamescience (Lou Zocchi) from Gulfport Mississippi. They were for his Star Fleet Battle Manual game but were used in Star Fleet Battles as the core fleet (Zocchi made the Romulan bird of prey and the Klingon D7 in lead as well). They are excellent replacements for the tinyprise but as it says above, you have to snap them together (they don't really need glue) and then paint them. You don't have to go crazy, just white spray paint, red on the nacelles and a few details and you can have a pretty good ship.

FASA's lead versions couldn't really support the weight of the lead in the nacelles and tended to droop. This is especially true for the Movie version. But Fasa's K'Tinga's were great as were their other designs for Klingons and Romulans. A weird and wonderful design was the Klingon 1 wing destroyer, an asymmetrical design. This was never produced in miniature, but only as a counter (though someone did a miniature later on in the aftermarket).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tpryan01 wrote:

At least one of those is a copy of a FASA Klingon ship, I think the D18 destroyer. There are a lot of those on Shapeways and considering the company is long out of business, it might be the only way to get them, though if you search for FASA Star Trek miniatures or ships on eBay you might find a lot of them at a low price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
carbon_dragon wrote:
hadrian132 wrote:

Amarillo design bureau/Task Force Games/Star Fleet Battles (both 2400 and 2500) are good sources and indeed the original ships had a nice keyed hole not dissimilar to the one AW uses. In fact you can just use the AW stands pretty successfully without modification. The lead models have the potential of overwhelming the stand however.

The original plastic Constitution, Saladin (DD), and Federation (DN) are all made of a superb, durable, stiff, lightweight plastic and were made originally by Gamescience (Lou Zocchi) from Gulfport Mississippi. They were for his Star Fleet Battle Manual game but were used in Star Fleet Battles as the core fleet (Zocchi made the Romulan bird of prey and the Klingon D7 in lead as well). They are excellent replacements for the tinyprise but as it says above, you have to snap them together (they don't really need glue) and then paint them. You don't have to go crazy, just white spray paint, red on the nacelles and a few details and you can have a pretty good ship.

FASA's lead versions couldn't really support the weight of the lead in the nacelles and tended to droop. This is especially true for the Movie version. But Fasa's K'Tinga's were great as were their other designs for Klingons and Romulans. A weird and wonderful design was the Klingon 1 wing destroyer, an asymmetrical design. This was never produced in miniature, but only as a counter (though someone did a miniature later on in the aftermarket).

Yes the Klingon one armed bandit destroyer..lol would like to see that one on the table. FASA did give the main fleets a well rounded feel and history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.