BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: How to get started with Card Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Neitzert
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I was thinking of getting into card games such as Magic. I have never played games like that before and I was wondering if there were any suggestions for games to start with to easily introduce me to that type of gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What genre's are you interested in?
Are you wanting 2 player or multiplayer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
One way is if you have a gaming console from last gen (xbox 360 or ps3) get one of the games on there...you can learn alot just from that.

If you want to get into the actual cards...visit a store that holds Friday Night Magic and tell them that you are completely new to the game...you should get a ton of cards just given to you if they are good peeps and plenty of help getting started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are not looking for something specific, but just want to see if Collectable Card Games are something you'd enjoy, you could try Hearthstone.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/

It is free to play and even let's you collect and buy cards with an in-game currency (that you could buy with real money but you definitely don't have to).

This was my first major dip into the whole realm of Magic and the like. It let me experience all (okay I might be missing some, but you never know what you don't know...) of the facets of playing Magic, and with none of the costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic the Gathering is probably the most supported of the current card games, at least at local gaming stores, but there are others:

Ascension
Legend of the Five Rings (which is hard to find a group to play with)
Yugio and Pokemon (mostly played by younger people)

I think you will have no problems at all finding people to teach you Magic, but my advice is to visit more than one game store to find one where the atmosphere suits you -- they all vary. Ask the clerk if there's anyone who can teach you magic and will play with a new player, and what nights they might have opportunities for new people to play.

As for cards, the Modern Event Deck and the Journey to Nix deck are both really pretty good decks to start with, and are current. There are other event decks available, as well, which are pre-built and designed so you can start playing right away. They are worth the money.

You will end up spending more money than you want to, but you don't HAVE to. Casual/"kitchen table" play is fun and you don't need all the expensive card decks to do it. Have fun!

Edit: it's a good idea to sleeve your cards, even with your first deck. Since some cards have value, most people sleeve pretty much everything when they open the package. It's one of those things everyone does. Then you can learn to shuffle with sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the suggestion to try the video game - Duel of the Planeswalkers. I think you can get it for pc also.

You can check out the M:tG website - http://magic.wizards.com/en/new-to-magic

If you play somewhere for Friday Night Magic or other events, it's likely there will be some people who will help you out if you talk to people there. However, also be wary of people trying to rip you off - don't trade with anyone without looking up the value of your cards online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
visit a store that holds Friday Night Magic and tell them that you are completely new to the game...you should get a ton of cards just given to you if they are good peeps and plenty of help getting started.

The first hit is free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And before you might sell your soul to a CCG, know there are options such as LCGs and other expandable games. If you don't have a dedicated fellow gamer, see what is supported locally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jr. Rosbach
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
LCGs are fantastic if you got someone to play with. Android: Netrunner is a favorite of mine. You and a friend can actually get a lot out of that game since it is asymmetrical and you can build your decks online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a 2 player confrontational game with special abilities, Pixel Tactics is fantastic. It doesn't have deck construction before the game unless you get multiple sets (there are 2 sets out right now, and another one coming out soon), in which case you can opt to play constructed. I haven't tried that yet. Pixel Tactics is cheap and portable. The box isn't great, but you can fit the whole game in a deck box easily. If you don't want to mess with constructing decks, that's fine. You can just play with the sets as they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Neitzert
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will definitely try a few of these. Didn't expect so many great responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Duel decks for Magic are a great way to start. You get two balanced decks in the box that you can get several plays out of them with a friend. I like them over the intro packs because each duel deck pack is designed with a fun trick in it that makes them play differently. Tom Vasel has reviews of the duel decks and intro packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storm Ballad
msg tools
I'm going to throw my hat in with the Android: Netrunner crowd. The LCG model is much easier to follow after the base set compared to a collectible game, and (especially in the case of Magic) there's no secondary market to potentially skew more competitive play. Of the LCGs, Netrunner is definitely one of the strongest, with interesting asymmetrical play and lots of bluffing and strategy.

That said, Magic is very rewarding, and I'd recommend Duels of the Planeswalkers to get a taste for the rules. From there, a duel starter pack is one of your best bets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon Legends is a reprint of Blue Moon with all the people decks. It plays like a CCG/LCG but it comes with every card you ever can get, so it won't be a continued money sink. The people decks are all different and pre built and have a large amount of replayability. It offers deck customization as well which further increases this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Morgan
United States
Freedom
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO magic is not the way to go for your first card game. I have played magic for many years and have went to a ton of PTQs and gran prix.

Magic is a fun game but the people who play are often rude, especially at sanctioned events. Its an insanely expensive game too. With cards going out of style in standard depending on what cards the pros play. If your looking to just have fun with some friends magic starts off as fun until one of you or your friends gets "unfair" cards or you just get sick of bickering over rules and OP cards and silly infinate combos.

FNM is super fun for free cards and the atmosphere is okay but it runs into making sure cards are format acceptable and turns into a money pit because your constantly buying and trading.

I used to be a huge magic fan but recently due to lack of funds and annoyance with magic players at high competative events ive been into lcg like Shadowrift, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and those types of games. The playing field is even and its easy to learn rules unlike the dificult rules of magic, aka next level magic. Save your money and pick up ascension. Its designed by many magic pro players like the million dollar man brian kibbler and it gives similar game play but its cheaper.

Recently i tried Adventure Time Card Wars: Finn vs. Jake and i describe it as, if magic is college, card wars is middle school. Its complex and funny, even though im not a huge fan of the show, it has complex game play and its cheaper.

If you got money and time to burn and put into magic, go for it because its a great game. Definately check out a grand prix, meet some artists and promo cards and draft. But if you are money concious avoid magic and check out alternatives.

Again i dont mean this to be mean to all those magic lovers, Trust me i have great respect and love for the magic i grew up on but the cost of cards ruin it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.