Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Current Jinteki building articles or rules of thumb rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Hogan
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I'd like to build a Jinteki deck, but I'm not sure where to get started. Does anyone know of any good guides, articles or even just rules of thumb that are out there?

I'm wanting to run traps, but not sure how ice light or heavy to go.

Is running a lot of one-ofs a viable strategy for ice and traps?

Is my dream of putting a runner through a gyri labrynth/rezzing the chairman before Ronining them to death something I could build towards or should I just let it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One approach is to start by looking at the tournament-winning Jinteki decklists on Stimhack. Jinteki tends to be a bit lighter on ice than other corporations, due to its traps.

There are a few archetypes depending on the specific Jinteki identity you're using - for example Tennin Institute will have lots of "end the run" ice, and Replicating Perfection will have Sundews.

I haven't heard of Gyri Labyrinth and Chairman Hiro being tournament-level competitive, but if you're playing more casually there's no harm in trying that combo. A guy I know built a deck with an infinite Cell Portal loop but I don't think he's ever got it working
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Tenin needs to run lots of ETR ice at all. Heavy taxing ice, or some mix of program killers will due just fine

At this point, with Jinteki, the first question you should ask is if you are going to go flatline or not. Or, if it is a secondary option. Also, do you want to run a never advance, non-advance able trap deck, or some sort of IA, IAA, with advance able traps. Those decisions should give you a good framework.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hogan
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I'd definitely like flatline to be my primary path to victory, with agendas a distant second.

I'm thinking a bit of brain damage, followed by a ronin would be good. Beyond that I'm unsure how to proceed.

Nasty ice fortress?

Trap-shell game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Consensus is that if you want damage to be your primary path, Weyland or NBN scorch is the way to go.

Jinteki is very reactive with it's damage. Other than double Ronin, you rely on the runner's making a bad choice. Scoring agendas actually pressures the runner into making mistakes that can lead to a flatline. But you can't just ignore agendas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
Jinteki is very reactive with it's damage. Other than double Ronin, you rely on the runner's making a bad choice.
Put a different way: you rely on giving the runner two choices, both of which are bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Cavalier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Begin with Hollis' guide "My secret love affair with Jinteki"
Read it again ... and again, regardless of what division you want to play. He dissects the entire mechanic Jinteki is working on
If you're interested in RP, then look at DB0's "Untrashable" build. It's a really extreme version of what RP is trying to do.
Tennin "Lighting" is a popular version of that deck, which I'm not sure I like ... too much 'end the run' for my taste, but it's still very effective in the right hands.

Just google those, you'll get ideas. Or PM me and I can send you a bunch of lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinteki Flatlining is difficult as an exclusive strategy, you will definitely want a way (or 2) to score agendas (like Trick of Light) for the games when flatlining doesn't look like a possibility.

I agree you should read the article written by Hollis, it is the best way to understand the unique underlying strength and play style of Jinteki.

I think there are strong Jinteki Card attrition builds in spite of what maybe most people might believe. I have one, you can PM me for the decklist if you like. They are tough to play, but with the right deck and pilot I believe they can be really good, and one of the best flatlining decks out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this as an anti-Jinteki agent attempting to find out Jinteki secrets.

Initiate Ronin protocol... Done

Execute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
It's not exclusive to Jinteki, but you might find my article "Structure of a Corporation Deck" to be useful. And I agree Hollis' article, (My Secret Love Affair with Jinteki while probably a bit outdated, is a great start.

But first you must decide what kind of Jinteki deck you want to build because there are many options, from the top of my mind these are the most competitive ones right now:

1) Lots of small agendas in Jinteki PE
2) Mushin no Shin decks (Normally PE or Harmony Medtech)
3) Taxing Jinteki RP decks
4) Tennin Fast Advance

If you want to threaten a flatline you either want to use the threat of Ronin or simply start playing facedown cards and chipping away at their health.

Since so many decks play Clone Chip and Deus Ex, I don't think using Ronin is viable right now. It's a great card but you can feel the weight of the metagame crushing it so I will take the chipping option.

Personally, I've been exploring a Tori Hanzo build of Jinteki PE and I like it a lot. It went something like this and it really needs some extra polish:

3 House of Knives
3 Fetal AI
1 Philotic Entanglement
3 Braintrust
1 The Future Perfect
--------------------
11 Agendas

3 Komainu
2 Yagura
2 Himitsu Baku
3 Inazuma
2 Pieces of ICE you like
--------------
12 ICE

2 Snare!
2 Shock
3 Jackson Howard (3inf)
-----------------------
7 Assets

3 Hedge Fund
3 Sweeps Week (6inf)
2 Celebrity Gift
2 Medical Research Fundraiser
3 Neural EMP
-----------------------------
13 Operations

3 Tori Hanzo
3 Hokusai Grid
---------------
6 Upgrades

Very low ICE count because the Shocks and Snare! lower it. Give it a try, it's powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norris,

Question... I like the deck, but why would you play Sweeps week for 6 influence in a deck that is trying to do Brain Damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Nords3x4 wrote:
Question... I like the deck, but why would you play Sweeps week for 6 influence in a deck that is trying to do Brain Damage?

Because when I built the deck I didn't realize how dumb it was. There's really not much of a reason to import economy in the now terribly rich Jinteki, just change them to Caduceus or Elis or whatever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hogan
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

Thanks to all the people who linked advice.

Here's my draft 1 of a Jinteki Brain Damage/Ronin Deck. Any criticism (other than "This deck is bad and you should feel bad!") is welcome:

Identity:
Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core)

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (12)
Fetal AI (Trace Amount #32) x3
House of Knives (Honor and Profit #4) x3
Philotic Entanglement (Honor and Profit #6) x1
False Lead (A Study in Static #80) x3
The Future Perfect (Honor and Profit #7) x2

Asset (11)
Chairman Hiro (Honor and Profit #8) x1
Ronin (Future Proof #112) x3
Edge of World (Cyber Exodus #53) x1
Shi.Kyū (Honor and Profit #11) x2
Shock! (True Colors #73) x2
Snare! (Core #70) x2

ICE (14)
Fenris (True Colors #71) x2 ■■
Gyri Labyrinth (Double Time #110) x2 ■■
RSVP (True Colors #77) x2 ■■
Inazuma (Honor and Profit #16) x2
Himitsu-Bako (Opening Moves #13) x1
Quandary (Double Time #120) x2
Tsurugi (True Colors #74) x1
Yagura (Fear and Loathing #93) x1
Komainu (Honor and Profit #17) x1

Operation (9)
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3
Mushin No Shin (Honor and Profit #15) x3
Neural EMP (Core #72) x3

Upgrade (3)
Tori Hanzō (Honor and Profit #22) x3

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 8
Jinteki: 73
NBN: 4
The Weyland Consortium: 0

I feel like it needs more economy at present and could maybe redo the ice. Not sure what to change up.

At present, here's how I'd like to win:

1. Land some brain damage/get lucky with a Snare! and Ronin.
2. Lose a bunch of agendas and Philotic entanglement (Shi-Kyu and Chairman Hiro count towards this, right?).
3. Score agendas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomjester wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks to all the people who linked advice.

Here's my draft 1 of a Jinteki Brain Damage/Ronin Deck. Any criticism (other than "This deck is bad and you should feel bad!") is welcome:

Identity:
Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core)

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (12)
Fetal AI (Trace Amount #32) x3
House of Knives (Honor and Profit #4) x3
Philotic Entanglement (Honor and Profit #6) x1
False Lead (A Study in Static #80) x3
The Future Perfect (Honor and Profit #7) x2

Asset (11)
Chairman Hiro (Honor and Profit #8) x1
Ronin (Future Proof #112) x3
Edge of World (Cyber Exodus #53) x1
Shi.Kyū (Honor and Profit #11) x2
Shock! (True Colors #73) x2
Snare! (Core #70) x2

ICE (14)
Fenris (True Colors #71) x2 ■■
Gyri Labyrinth (Double Time #110) x2 ■■
RSVP (True Colors #77) x2 ■■
Inazuma (Honor and Profit #16) x2
Himitsu-Bako (Opening Moves #13) x1
Quandary (Double Time #120) x2
Tsurugi (True Colors #74) x1
Yagura (Fear and Loathing #93) x1
Komainu (Honor and Profit #17) x1

Operation (9)
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3
Mushin No Shin (Honor and Profit #15) x3
Neural EMP (Core #72) x3

Upgrade (3)
Tori Hanzō (Honor and Profit #22) x3

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 8
Jinteki: 73
NBN: 4
The Weyland Consortium: 0

I feel like it needs more economy at present and could maybe redo the ice. Not sure what to change up.

At present, here's how I'd like to win:

1. Land some brain damage/get lucky with a Snare! and Ronin.
2. Lose a bunch of agendas and Philotic entanglement (Shi-Kyu and Chairman Hiro count towards this, right?).
3. Score agendas.

Are you sure about Edge of World in a deck with just 14 pieces of ice? It seems like it wouldn't hit for more than a point or two of brain damage at best, and it's trash cost makes your R&D and HQ vulnerable to attack. (It's easy to trash it and run again to see a new card.)

You may also want to consider some good program-trashing ice, such as Rototurret or Ichi 1.0. Probably not Grim, since bad publicity could really hurt your deck. If you can clear a key sentry breaker or decoder at the right time, you can really put pressure on the Runner. Even a well-timed Aggressive Secretary or Power Shutdown could hurt the Runner a lot and force them to rebuild their rig or risk taking a lot of damage from your ice suite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daine .

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
You're also too stacked towards code gates, especially ones which wither to Yog. Consider adding more Komainus (seems counter-intuitive with brain damage, but with snare and ronin you can expect your opponents to be drawing up as much as they can before each run, making Komainu extremely taxing).

Tori Hanzo and Mushin No Shin are combo pieces without the rest of their combos. If you're going to include them, you'll need ice which does net damage or Hokusai Grid and at least one advancable trap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Nords3x4 wrote:

Because when I built the deck I didn't realize how dumb it was. There's really not much of a reason to import economy in the now terribly rich Jinteki, just change them to Caduceus or Elis or whatever

I quite literally laughed out loud when I saw those Sweeps weeks in there!

Not long ago I twiddled with PE deck, trying to make Tori Hanzo work and I too put sweeps weeks in my deck thinking, "hey, great economy card right? And I do have the influence to spare for it..". shake My opponent pointed out that maybe they're not so great in my deck... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hogan
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Daine wrote:
You're also too stacked towards code gates, especially ones which wither to Yog. Consider adding more Komainus (seems counter-intuitive with brain damage, but with snare and ronin you can expect your opponents to be drawing up as much as they can before each run, making Komainu extremely taxing).

Tori Hanzo and Mushin No Shin are combo pieces without the rest of their combos. If you're going to include them, you'll need ice which does net damage or Hokusai Grid and at least one advancable trap.

Thanks for the advice. Will probably replace Quandaries with 1 Baku and 1 Komainu.

Will replace Edge of World with Cerebral Overwriter, since I still have the influence.

I wasn't sure about Tori + Hokusai. I thought Tori could only be used during a run and that Hokusai fired when a run was considered successful, which intuitively seems to be when it's over (although, do doubt, I haven't studied the timing chart well enough).

I could see dropping Mushin altogether, but I like the idea of using it with Ronin. It might free up deck slots for more econ, Hokusai or ICE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My PE kill deck uses Ronin, Mushin, Cerebral Overwriter, and Trick of Light (all 3x). I also have 3x Neural EMP. I have taxing ICE for centrals and painful (damaging) ICE to spread around.

The idea is to always advance, and generally leave 4 advanced cards on the table. These could be traps, Ronins, or agendas. Mushin is the card that makes Jinteki horizontal trap play work. Score an agenda that's useful (like Nisei) after leaving it on the table to pressure the runner. Prove that your cards could be anything. Leave four advanced Fetals on the table as a cheap Snare, backup EMP, or easy agenda score. Charge up your Ronins and wait for the opportunity to close the game. Use Trick of Light from your facedown traps to finish charging the Ronin kill or to surprise the Runner with agenda scores.

The deck keeps your options open and facedown cards have their purpose, weather run on or not. Win with agendas when you need to.

Deus Ex/Clone Chip is a thing, but defeating it is not unlike powering through Plastcretes. They can't recylce it forever, and it doesn't protect against brain damage. With the confidence they probably have, they are more likely to faceplant a Cerebral Overwriter. Two to four brain damage will make getting them to flush the Deus Ex much easier. It's not easy, but if you agressively charge your Overwriters you can kill them or make them cautious and win on agendas. Runner card draw frustrates me much more than worrying about Deus Ex.

It's dead on about making things a choice between terrible options for the Runner. That is Jinteki's bread and butter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.