Subject: Last Night on Earth . A GamerVrsGamer review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauricio Zebel
Mexico
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
When growing up, I always related board games to Disney Monopoly, Chess, Backgammon or Dakara, games I played with my parents or sisters. All my youth and teenage, my gaming life centered toward the video games and considered the board games as children games. LNoE was one of the first new board games I bought and it fueled a new gaming branch in my life, board gaming.

The game tries to emulate a Zombie movie, heck! It even includes a soundtrack to listen while playing (to be honest, I never used it). But to me, what it more closely emulates is a video game and it kind of resembles to Left 4 Dead, let me tell you a story:

The zombie apocalypse has finally happened, the city has been overrun by zombies and it seems like only you and 3 more people have survived. From time to time you see jets or helicopters pass through the sky but not a single soul other than your team. After fighting your way for days, you manage to get to this “place”, in the 2004 Dawn of the Dead reboot, you would had arrived to a Mall and it would be a safe haven; in this story though, you just arrived to the “zombie lollapalooza”. Damn! Your team is overrun, zombies are pouring out everywhere! What to do? What to do? Someone points to a car in the middle of the place, but when you get there the car is out of gas, luckily the people that was fighting the zombies before, used gas bottles and there are bottles scattered around the place, unluckily, they are hidden under the corpses or stored away, and again, let’s not forget, zombies are pouring out everywhere! So you and your team will have to fence of wave after wave of brain eater limb missing slow walking tricky zombies, while gathering the gas to fuel up the car and get the hell out of the place.

your team at Left 4 Dead

If you ever played Left 4 Dead 2, you will find this very familiar and the “place” would be a Mall, but speaking about Last Night on Earth, I am describing one of many scenarios that you will face in a small town attacked by zombies, but the true similarity that you will find between both games is the tension felt during the scenarios, that need of urgency to find an item and the feeling of being surrounded by a horde of zombies.

Last Night on Earth, is a game that plays perfect with 5 players, but can be well played with 3, 4 or 6, supposedly you can play with 2, but to be honest I haven’t tried with only 2 players, I would rather take out another game; what I do have tried is playing with 7 people, sub optimal, but can be done. The scenarios are balanced for 4 heroes and the zombies, but it is a requirement that at least one person controls the zombies and up to two people can control the zombies; if we do the math: in a 5 player game, each person controls one hero and you have a zombie player, as I said, to me this is the optimal setup, but any combination of players could work for you.

Each hero has different abilities depending on their previous background story and as expected, all the heroes have a higher probability to lose in a hand to hand combat versus the zombies, the real fun starts when the heroes get weapons and “movie like events” in the form of cards, greatly improving their chances to kill the zombies, cards are drawn by searching inside the buildings. At the same time, with each card that the heroes draw, the game is more challenging for the zombie player/s; who each turn has a hand of cards to give temporary boosts to his undead or to wreck the heroes’ plans. Each turn that passes puts more pressure into the players since there is a countdown time that marks the turns remaining until the “darkness” win.

I love this game, the balance between the heroes and zombies is nearly perfect, sometimes the zombies feel like being too powerful then the heroes draw a couple of good weapons and then start massacring the zombies until the zombie player adjusts his strategy and so on, every single game I have played with this game has being tense until the last round, and I have had the game for almost 3 years now. The best about this game is that it has everything, do you like playing “in your face” games? Be the zombie player and you will be hitting your friends all night, you like cooperative games? Be a human hero and work together in order to escape from the scenario, speaking about scenarios, you don’t feel like looking for gas bottles? Then go out in a zombie hunting in a “hack & slash” scenario, you want to play a campaign? Look for a fan made campaign on the web, haven’t I mentioned that? There are some official scenarios on the web page but you will find tons of fan made scenarios on the web or you could make your own, the game even comes with extra tokens, your imagination is the limit.

I have played it with my little cousins, my son, my friends and my wife, since the basic rules are so easy everyone grabs the rules pretty quickly allowing the players to focus on the strategy since the beggining, the complexity of the game is drawn via the cards which for non-regular gamers might take a minute to completely understand or would require the advice from a fellow team member, but nothing so difficult that halts the game, usually it can be explained while the zombie player takes his turn. This game has a perfect balance between fun, complexity and strategy which makes it one of my all-time favorites.

Complexity: Light – Medium

You should get this game if:

- You like the zombie theme.

- You like board games and loved the Left 4 Dead video game.

- You have 4 other friends to play.

- You like the idea of 4 other players versus you.

You shouldn’t get this game if:

- You are not much into the zombie scene.

- You don’t like asymmetric games, where one player is so different than the others.

- You don’t like dice games.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the game, the mechanics or feedback to the review or visit my blog at http://gamervrsgamer.wordpress.com/ and read more on how to get your GF/Wife into games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steψhen Hazy
Australia
Yagoona
NSW
flag msg tools
Why did the Kangaroo cross the road?
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like fun, thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The definitive Zombie game imo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Zebel
Mexico
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Plexqus wrote:
Seems like fun, thanks for the review.

You are very welcome, I had done many other reviews and realized hey! I am missing one of my favorite games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Zebel
Mexico
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tariff wrote:
The definitive Zombie game imo

You said it Chris!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that review Lohael!

It has really clarified for me that as I mostly play solo, and rarely have a chance at more than two players (and multiplayer tends to be reserved for brain-burners - A Distant Plain last time) that LNoE is not for me, although it looks like a great game!

In the meantime, back to Zombicide, Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and Galaxy Defenders for me.....

Cheers,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Zebel
Mexico
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
aaaaaaaaahhhh... now it all makes sense!! Have you tried Mage Knight Board Game or Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set already for your solo sessions?? I would like to know your opinions on those games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent review! this game was gifted to me so i had no pre-conceived ideas about it. definitely want to play it more now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Zebel
Mexico
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
reemer wrote:
excellent review! this game was gifted to me so i had no pre-conceived ideas about it. definitely want to play it more now!

Thank you Chuck, I really hope that you enjoy the game as much as we do, for your first play try to gather 4 other friends, for the first couple plays you will have to know all the rules in order for them to ask you questions, then it will be a walk in the partk!

Good luck! and if you have any doubt, please do not hesitate to tell me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.