War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scouts and sieges rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brendan morrissey
Australia
frankston
flag msg tools
If an army is already under siege by the shadow and the shadow attacks that siege can the free peoples player play the scouts card. Justification is that the siege becomes a battle and the scouts ability allows them to withdraw back into a siege, effectively killing of the shadow die used to launch attack and combat card if chosen.
The wording of the card would make it seem reasonable that this is allowable as there is no other reason to ever use a combat card to retreat into a siege if it is not already in one as it can do so freely without wasting of a card.
I understand people use scouts to move an army with say Aragorn out of a stronghold to save him and his die but this tactic only utilizes the retreat to adjacent region part of the text of the card. it seems quite logical that the text component relating to retreating into a siege is either redundant, for totally stupid use of the card or for the purposes outlayed at the top of this piece. opinions or official rulings???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FP is in the stronghold under siege. The SP attacks the stronghold. There is no further place for the FP to retreat. Scouts has no effect in this situation.

Scouts might have effect if FP attacked the besieging army, because then the FP could retreat bac into the siege. I do not remember if Scouts can be played by attacking player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scouts cannot be played when defending in a siege as the Army is unable to retreat.

Scouts cannot be played when attacking as the attacking Army never has the option to retreat (only cease the attack).

Scouts can only be played when defending in a field battle, as that is the only time retreating is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjmorrissey wrote:
The wording of the card would make it seem reasonable that this is allowable as there is no other reason to ever use a combat card to retreat into a siege if it is not already in one as it can do so freely without wasting of a card.

There is a reason to do so. The Free Peoples player can decide to not withdraw into siege at the beginning of a round in a field battle, then play Scouts to withdraw simply to cause the Shadow player to waste a combat card.

bjmorrissey wrote:
I understand people use scouts to move an army with say Aragorn out of a stronghold to save him and his die but this tactic only utilizes the retreat to adjacent region part of the text of the card.

This cannot be done, as the card only works when the Free Peoples are the defenders in a field battle (as Veldrin pointed out). The only way Scouts can save Aragorn (or any other Companion) is by playing it in a field battle in order to retreat before the battle effectively begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan morrissey
Australia
frankston
flag msg tools
bjmorrissey wrote:

I understand people use scouts to move an army with say Aragorn out of a stronghold to save him and his die but this tactic only utilizes the retreat to adjacent region part of the text of the card.

This cannot be done, as the card only works when the Free Peoples are the defenders in a field battle (as Veldrin pointed out). The only way Scouts can save Aragorn (or any other Companion) is by playing it in a field battle in order to retreat before the battle effectively begins.

what I was trying to say was that some people like to use scouts when the fp army is attacked first time in stronghold region to retreat to an adjacent region, giving up the stronghold but possibly prolonging aragorns life to keep the extra die going
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan morrissey
Australia
frankston
flag msg tools
but that's fine scouts only in a field battle, no worries makes sense just was not sure with the wording of the card, thought it might make even more use of itself but seems not, thanks for responses guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhardt Schroeder
msg tools
mbmb
If Aragorn were under siege in a stronghold region, could the FP on their turn attack the Shadow player (start a field battle), and then immediately play Scouts to retreat out of the region?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, only the defender in a field battle is allowed to retreat. The attacker can only cease the attack (taking them back into the Stronghold in your example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.