Popular Tags: AWAW [+] AWorldatWar [+] [View All]
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
After completing my solo introductory session of the Global War campaign, I came to know four fellow gamers who were interested in playing out this monster with me and my brother-in-law.

This report is part of a longer series of session reports about what transpires during the game. While I write these reports from Japan’s perspective, I try not to give too much away since this game is still in progress and my opponents are regular BGG members who read these forums often.

Players:

Jamie – Russia/Communist China
Boon – Britain
Ian & Jasmine – US/France/Nationalist China

Nigel – European Axis
Gary – Japan

Links:

Part 1: Six Newbies at War – Part 1
Part 2: Six Newbies at War – Part 2
Part 4: Six Newbies at War – Part 4
Part 5: Six Newbies at War – Part 5
Part 6: Six Newbies at War – Part 6
Part 7: Six Newbies at War – Part 7
Part 8: Six Newbies at War – Part 8
Part 9: Six Newbies at War – Part 9
Part 10: Six Newbies at War – Part 10
Part 11: Six Newbies at War – Part 11
Part 12: Six Newbies at War – Part 12
Part 13: Six Newbies at War – Part 13
Part 14: Six Newbies at War – Part 14
Part 15: Six Newbies at War – Part 15
Part 16: Six Newbies at War – Part 16
Part 17: Six Newbies at War – Part 17
Part 18: Six Newbies at War – Part 18
Part 19: Six Newbies at War – Part 19
Part 20: Six Newbies at War – Part 20
Part 21: Six Newbies at War – Part 21 (end)

==================================================================================

Ian and Jasmine could not join us for this round as well, so Boon stood in for the US & France and Jamie did the same for China.

Spring 1940 (Allies):

European Theater:

The Western Allies attempt to cement diplomatic ties with Sweden, though the endeavour does not end well and relations cool between the two sides as a +5 result is rolled. As Sweden turns pro-Axis, the minor power cuts off its BRP supply to the Western Allies and lifts the iron ore shipments ban which it had previously imposed on Germany in the preceding winter, thereby restoring Germany’s unit construction limit to its maximum of 50 BRPs per turn. Jamie’s Russia reaches out to Greece, who turns him down and leans towards the European Axis with a +5 result. At this point, it looks as if the neutral minor powers are carefully hedging their bets on how the war in Europe turns out.

The British and French air forces go on the offensive. Boon stages a total of nine British AAFs to London and counterairs the four Luftwaffe AAFs in Rotterdam. The German AAFs are obliterated, though they take down two British AAFs with them. Five French AAFs stage to Paris and engage the five German AAFs at Cologne, where each side suffers a loss of three AAFs and two aborts. The Western Allies are absolutely pleased about their successful battles against the Luftwaffe so far

On the ground, Boon retreats the British armour units from the frontline, and advances the French infantry units which seize Antwerp. This increases the number of French ground combat factors that are adjacent to the Germans to 22, which attrit accordingly. The Axis takes the resulting loss of two replacement counters from Germany’s homeland.

During the construction phase, Boon advances construction of the BB4 Prince of Wales and launches the CVL Illustrious. The British and Canadian shipyards are able to keep up with transport losses, as they replace two Western Allied transports and build out an additional transport. Mysteriously, none of the French losses are replaced.

The US builds out two NAS, two AAFs and advances construction of the BB4 Indiana. Jamie’s Russia remains silent throughout the turn.

Pacific Theater:
The Nationalist Chinese forces attrit the Japanese units facing them, though no losses are taken.

During the construction phase, the US advances the BB4 South Dakota one step closer towards launch.

Summer 1940 (Axis):

European Theater:

Nigel does not initiate any diplomatic roll, and opens the turn with an assault on the French defenders which are situated on the near side of the Seine river (i.e, the hex between Sedan and Paris). The significance of the German AAF loss from the Spring 1940 Allied counterairs is now painfully felt, as Nigel is unable to establish the minimal 2.5:1 odds that is necessary to ensure victory against the defenders. The Wehrmacht goes in at 2:1 odds instead, and suffers another setback with a roll of 1 which yields an “a” combat result and has the effect of decimating a significant proportion of the German attacking force. To avoid leaving a gap in the frontline, Nigel takes the losses from his AAFs. Despite the odds deteriorating to a risky 1:1, he opts to engage in a second round of combat (which the German Combat Training Level (CTL) level of two allows) and successfully destroys one of the defending 3o5 armour units with a “d” combat result.

While Nigel has the choice of taking an “Ex” result in place of the “d” result*, this weakens his ability to defend Paris during the Allied turn if the latter attempts to take back the city since he would also have to take further losses with the “Ex” result.

*15.53 SELECTING AN "Ex" RESULT IN PLACE OF A "d" RESULT: An attacker who obtains a "d" result may take an "Ex" result instead…”

While the advance on Paris stalls for the time being, Nigel takes Sedan in a separate attack with no losses with an Ex-2 combat result. This places him in a better position to take Paris in Fall 1940.

The two German U-boat units continue to engage Allied shipping lines in strategic warfare, and successfully sink two Western Allied transports and damage a third. The three German pocket battleships depart for the Atlantic SW box from Bergen, and collectively sink an additional transport.

During the Axis construction phase, Nigel replaces one of his destroyed 4o6 armour units, and builds ten AAFs and three 3x3 infantry units. The Axis shipyards get busy with Kiel turning out a U-boat which is deployed to the Atlantic SW box, while Genoa and Trieste advance construction on the BB4s Impero and Roma respectively.

Things heat up on the Eastern Front as the RGT reaches 20. This triggers Russia’s second peacetime mobilisation (M2) which will take place during this turn and the next. However, this also means that Russia has to station its forces to meet the “Russian Garrison Requirements”*.

*Rule point: At the end of any Russian player turn in which RGT are 20 or greater, Russia is required to station the following units within four hexes of an Axis-controlled east Prussian, Baltic or Polish hex, or an Axis-controlled or neutral Rumanian hex:
- Ten Russian 2x3 infantry units;
- Four Russian 3x3 infantry units;
- Six Russian 3o5 armour units;

15 Russian AAFs must also end their turn within three hexes of an Axis-controlled east Prussian, Baltic or Polish hex.

For the first half of his M2, Jamie mobilises a second 5o6 armour unit which will be added to his force pool in Winter 1941.

Russo-German tension (RGT) = 20
US-Axis tension (USAT) = 14 (actual of 12, with +2 modifier)

Pacific Theater:
I continue to attrit the Nationalist Chinese forces, and take out a Chinese replacement unit counter.

As my factories complete construction of two elite Japanese NAS, my shipyard builds two DDs, advances the CV Zuikaku and begins work on a new BB5 Satsuma. I re-deploy infantry units from mainland China to Truk, Hainan, and Okinawa in preparation for a surprise attack on my American foe. I station a sole 1o3 armour unit in the middle of the vacated hexes and utilize its Zone of Control (ZOC) attribute to cover them. This prevents Jamie from building Chinese partisans in the empty hexes, as per the following rule:

11.353 RESTRICTIONS: Partisan construction is subject to the following restrictions:

D. Partisans may only be placed in an eligible country on vacant, enemy-controlled hexes or on hexes which contain another partisan constructed by the same major power but which would otherwise be enemy-controlled.
E. Partisans may not be placed in hexes which contain an enemy ground, air or naval unit, airbase counter, rocket base, bridgehead, port counter, railhead, IC, fortification or fortress, or in hexes which are in an enemy ZoC. If no eligible hexes are available, no partisans may be placed in that turn.

US-Japanese tension (USJT) = 6 (actual of 6, with no modifier)

Ending state of events:

European theater (continental Europe, Western Front)

European theater (continental Europe, Eastern Front)

European theater (Mediterranean and North Africa)

Pacific theater (mainland China)

==================================================================================

Links:

Part 1: Six Newbies at War – Part 1
Part 2: Six Newbies at War – Part 2
Part 4: Six Newbies at War – Part 4
Part 5: Six Newbies at War – Part 5
Part 6: Six Newbies at War – Part 6
Part 7: Six Newbies at War – Part 7
Part 8: Six Newbies at War – Part 8
Part 9: Six Newbies at War – Part 9
Part 10: Six Newbies at War – Part 10
Part 11: Six Newbies at War – Part 11
Part 12: Six Newbies at War – Part 12
Part 13: Six Newbies at War – Part 13
Part 14: Six Newbies at War – Part 14
Part 15: Six Newbies at War – Part 15
Part 16: Six Newbies at War – Part 16
Part 17: Six Newbies at War – Part 17
Part 18: Six Newbies at War – Part 18
Part 19: Six Newbies at War – Part 19
Part 20: Six Newbies at War – Part 20
Part 21: Six Newbies at War – Part 21 (end)

Edited for typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good for the allies. Where is the BEF? Can Russia attack Germany in the Fall? That might stop France ever surrendering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chiu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I staged a premature "Dunkirk" expecting the imminent fall of Paris.

Appropriately I then had to leave the game early.

I was suitably embarrassed to hear of the heroic defence of Paris by the French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Yeo
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Nah, the French did nothing. They enjoyed good baguettes and Croissants. The German just had too much beer and completely mis-fired. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Valer
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the geographical restrictions on all minors and the Axis minors in particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The German Luftwaffe pilots need a lot of training, and their C-in-C needs to make more "skilled dice rolls".

Thanks Phil - we will have to correct for the Yugoslavian units in Poland which are not supposed to be there.

Eric, I believe Heavy Armor was a research project in the 1st edition. It has been phased out in the 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Krug
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You appear to be correct. I deleted my comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added URL link to part four

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added link to part five

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added link to part 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added link to part 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added link to part 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added link to part 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added link to part 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added links to parts 11, 12 and 13

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added link to part 14

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added link to part 15

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.