8 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Order of buying expansions/adventure packs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Huberty
United States
flag msg tools
I'm new within the past month to the game, but I've loved it so far and am looking to expand beyond the core set. I've read that you shouldn't buy later expansion packs without playing the earlier released ones b/c of progressive difficulty and rules...
My question is: would it generally doable/wise to buy the Khazad-Dum expansion before playing the Shadows of Mirkwood adventure packs, being they're not full expansions?
Essentially, is there anything earth-shattering/game-changing in those first six adventure packs that I should know/play before getting that first full expansion pack, Khazad-Dum?

Thanks for any input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer...

DAIN. Return To Mirkwood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth reading through this excellent post on TftC :

http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player...

And :

http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/beyond-the...

In short I think you will find the card pool too shallow to beat any of the quests if you leap from Core to Khazad, but it might be possible. The first thing that comes to mind is the 2 cost eagles that are in the Mirkwood cycle - even now they tend to be in most of my tactics decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the links given above, there are a few similar threads here on BGG about this, that you should be able to find through searching.

I'd do the research. Simply getting expansion A for card B presumes a certain style of play that you may or may not enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jr. Rosbach
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would recommend first getting cards that's would help make a deck you would like to try out. You can worry about challenging the new quest a bit later. Of the two, though, I would recommend Shadows of Mirkwood first since most of the cards can easily work with deck building ideas already shown in the Core Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The adventure packs work in synergy with the deluxe expansion from which they come. Core + Mirkwood. Kazhad + adventure packs.... Not that you can't do it in any order you wish but the designers made the game in that sequence as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Huberty
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks all. As intriguing as Khazad-Dum looks, I don't want to rush it and just make it a bad experience and it appears that's what would happen by the consensus here. I appreciate the links and advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Wojcik
Poland
Kraków(Cracow)
Malopolska
flag msg tools
designer
I very much like designing games but I think I prefer to play them.
badge
Metallum ... game I most proud of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some of my thoughts on the order: Solo player buyers guide (for those that have only the core set)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.