Popular Tags: [View All]
Raj Giri
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: The report you want, i.e. the first place report by Joe Held, is here But here's the second loser (third place) report for your reading pleasure.

This past weekend I went to Seattle to play in the Netrunner regional tournament. My goal was top-16...I ended up third (out of 78 or so players...good gravy it was an insane turnout). Yay! Also....Portland's group had 6 in top-8 and all 4 of the top-4

6 Swiss rounds, cut to top-16 given the high player count. I played 18 total games over maybe 13 hours. Exhaustion in excess! Some of the top matches, incuding two of mine (one of which is against the king of Stimhack.com himself, SneakySly) were filmed by Champion Joe for Cascade Collective.

Decks:
Psycho-Beale v7
NetrunnerDB link
Quote:
NBN: Making News (Core Set)

Agenda (11)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
2x Breaking News (Core Set)
3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
3x Project Beale (Future Proof)

Asset (3)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)

Upgrade (2)
2x SanSan City Grid (Core Set)

Operation (19)
2x Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves) ••••• •
3x Closed Accounts (Core Set)
1x Fast Track (Honor and Profit)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Midseason Replacements (Future Proof)
3x Psychographics (Core Set)
1x Restructure (Second Thoughts)
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)

Barrier (6)
3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) •••
1x Hive (Double Time) ••
2x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (3)
1x Enigma (Core Set)
2x Viper (Cyber Exodus) ••

Sentry (5)
2x Data Raven (Core Set)
2x Draco (What Lies Ahead)
1x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set) ••

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Reinarado v6
NetrunnerDB Link
Quote:
Reina Roja: Freedom Fighter (Mala Tempora)

Event (15)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
3x Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow) •••
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (4)
2x Desperado (Core Set) ••••• •
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (3)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (12)
3x Corroder (Core Set)
3x Knight (Mala Tempora)
3x Mimic (Core Set)
3x Yog.0 (Core Set)

Program (11)
3x Datasucker (Core Set)
2x Djinn (Core Set)
2x Medium (Core Set)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)
3x Parasite (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Double Time

A few months ago I got tired of fast advance and decided to give Midseasons a whirl. Inspired by Jesse Vandover's deck at Worlds, though I think with some key differences, and I've gone 20-3 with it in tournaments since. It has never lost to Criminal in tournament play, for what it's worth.

The Reina deck I've played for a few months, and I probably need to retire it. It's not easy to play despite being super basic Anarch 101 stuff, with Desperado and Lucky Find to help solve econ problems. Why Reina? I found Whizzard's ability dead for awhile as CI and Weyland were popular, and Noise encourages them to block archives early and prevent me getting easy datasuckers. And the Reina built-in tax and 1 Link help a lot. Fast Advance isn't a real problem, but taxing decks (Red Poncho and Yellow Jackets) are a huge problem. -3 Daily Casts and +3 Kati Jones might help with that, not sure.

I should note I spent almost 100% of my Runner games up until two days before Regionals playing Parasite Katman. But at the last minute, not feeling comfortable with that deck, I switched back to this Reina deck. I played a variant of the above Reina deck at Portland Regionals (finished 7th/8th)

Corp: 8-1 during the day. 1 loss in Swiss. Smiley face.
Runner: 4-5 during the day. 3-3 in Swiss, 1-2 in double elims. Sad face.

1: Will
Making News/Biotics and Andromeda.

C: He mulligans into a terrible Andromeda hand, I think no economy and no Desperado. I get Astro-train going early behind a Viper, don't need MSR.

R: So, so close...I see Biotic turn 1 and so I know I can go low on cards (no Scorch). That keeps him from using Sweeps for awhile and Reina's tax helps deplete credits. I get to 4 points and Medium dig for 4 cards with 2 credits...and see 2 NAPDs. Sad face. He still has Biotic and a Sansan out, he can score either to win once he draws them. Next turn I Sure Gamble and run HQ 3 times, score 1 NAPD but miss the other one.

1-1 record. 2 points

2: Stephen
NEXT and Andromeda-Keyhole

C: Aggressive Andromeda is tough, and this one has Test-Run Keyhole! Crazy. However, I manage to land a Midseasons for 7 tags, and he then just runs through Data Raven on R&D and gets to 13 tags quickly. He only gets two Keyhole runs off, neither scores and agenda. Eventually I Restructure->install Beale->Psycho for 13 to win.

R: Deja Vu, man. I faceplant into a Rototurret (I saw Wall of Static off R&D, assumed that was it). That kills Corroder. I then hit an Inazuma+Ichi! That kills Mimic and Datasucker. A cool splash in HB. Fortunately that also lets me get free R&D accesses (and free money from Desperado) for 3 turns while I wait for him to draw past R&D lock and/or install in remote. I draw into another Corroder and Deja Vu back Mimic, Djinn out another Datasucker. He has Chairman Haas and scores Gila out of hand. I finally am able to score Haas, and then I use some strategic Knights to score the other ones he installs in remotes.

3-1 record. 6 points.

3: Riley
Desperado Katman and Making News

Fun note-- I've played Riley twice in tournaments before and gone 0-4, so I was nervous going into this round. He's a nice guy, afterwards we talked about various card games good (VTES) and bad (Rage) that we used to play.

C: Very close game. We're both at 5, Katman is Katman and he runs HQ and sees NAPD for the win...but not enough to score. At this point I have Sansan and an Astro counter, so I can install and score it to win. I used an early mini-Midseasons (for 4 tags) to help me keep him low on credits and prevent Pro Con from ever coming out, and it let me score a 3-point Beale early so I only needed an Astro and something else.

R: His ice is fairly porous, things like Pop-Up, Viper, Caduceus, RSVP. The Viper gives me trouble, I decide early on to run on R&D a lot. Eventually I Medium dig for the win. When my Reina deck gets going it works well, but it can rough to get running. I was up 5-0 at one point, then it was 5-5. Could've gone either way, I think. He ended up in top-16.

5-1 record. 10 points.

4: Ben
Andromeda and GRNDL

I played Ben twice in Portland Regionals. Really friendly guy, really good player. Surprisingly, he was playing entirely different decks!

R: At one point I go 0-for-8 on a huge Medium dig! That also sets me back quite a bit because I had been spending time Medium digging (since I have free access) instead of drawing breakers, in fact I don't even install Datasucker if memory serves. As a result he manages to get an Atlas+2 counters (I assumed the Cleaners, honestly) behind at Enigma. I also have to be conservative and stay above SEA Source range since the first few cards I see off R&D are Scorch and SEA Source! C-c-c-combo. Eventually I hit a Snare on R&D on Click 2 of a Medium dig and he manages to quickly remember to sacrifice False Lead and scorch me.

C:
I Midseason for a fair amount of tags and end up Astro-chaining with Psycho to win. I keep Andy poor for awhile, I think he managed one siphon but I just closed accounts after.

He also made top-16.

6-2 record. 12 points.

5: Anthony (aka SneakySly)
Whizzard and Red Poncho

C: Not close. I mulligan into no ice and 2 agendas. Game over in four turns.

R: Also not close. When RP gets going it is hard to face. I think I scored an NAPD at one point but my R&D accesses are largely not fruitful. I really want to practice more against this type of deck, I spent most of my regionals practice against Astrobiotics and/or typical NBN FA (i.e. not Yellow Jackets).

6-4 record. 12 points. He ended up in the top-16 as well.

6: Carlos
Reina+Keyhole and EtF/Glacier

C: Interesting and novel Reina deck, with Dyson/Underworld/Logos to get free credits and free tutors. He uses Knights and Rooks but I still manage to squeak out an Astro chain win.

R: He was very flooded, and I use early Lucky Find to help me trash two or three Adonis campaigns to keep him poor when he finally does draw ice. I think long term he could win, glaciers are a problem for Desperado Reina. But short term my deck does well, and this game was short thanks to un-rezzable ice on R&D and Medium.

8-4 record. 16 points.

Made double elims as 13th seed. 5-1 Corp, 3-3 Runner.

DE 1 (top 16):
James, playing Gabe

He elects to run, which really makes me happy as I'm far more confident as Corp. Unfortunately I have only 1 ice (Draco) on turn 1 but no agendas, so I tempt fate and stick with it.

Him: "Click 1: Indexing"...I knew it was coming but oh well. Fortunately he only gets 1 Beale out of it, but that's still a problem. I eventually get my centrals to be problematic, with Elis and Vipers galore. I get a Midseasons off and am at 3 points (Breaking News+Astro). He has 2 Beales by this point. I need him to not find the third Beale and I win...he runs R&D and can't break Draco. I could dump enough credits to end the run but that would delay my win by a few turns and I've used all my Closed Accounts. If he scores Beale he'd only be at 6, if he scores any other agenda I'll win. I play the odds and let him in.

He sees ice. Next turn Fast Track/Install Beale/Psycho to win. Phew!

DE 2 (top 12):
Riley, playing Making News

He's agenda flooded after a mulligan and installs two NAPD naked. I use Medium and Knights to get another agenda off Medium runs and I run HQ for the fourth to win. He managed to draw into decent ice but I don't think he saw either Astro or Sansan.

DE 3:
Joe, playing Red Poncho

Ugh. He crushes me, not even close. Caprice+Ash are rough. Having to Parasite all that ice sucks. At least Joe is always really fun to play against

DE 4:
Anthony (SneakySly), playing Whizzard

This time I'm not flooded and get to play. I have Data Raven and Data Raven on HQ/R&D...it's what I happened to start with. I think he's guessing Scorch, and I don't believe he is playing with Plascrete (!), so he does the datasucker/kill Raven thing. Eventually I get him to steal a Beale or something and Midseason for 8 tags. He gets money for a bit, eventually I manage to Close Accounts while I wait for combo parts or Astro. I eventually score Psycho-Astro followed by a Psycho-Beale to win.

This match was recorded. It being ~12AM, I actually Psycho-Bealed for one point more than I needed to win, I think. Whoops!

DE 5:
Brian, playing Andromeda

A fellow Portlander, I actually practiced with him two days before Regionals. I manage to win through good old Astro-Train. At one point my hand is two agendas and three other cards, he Legworks and misses both agendas Either way I managed to score behind Hive for awhile until he found a Corroder. He did have his full rig and suckers very early, it was scary if it went longer. Eli and Hive are really good ice, in case that wasn't obvious.

DE 6:
Kyle, playing Making News (Yellow Jackets)

Not close. I'm tired as it's past 1AM, his ice is too taxing and it's Tollbooths, and those aren't easy to parasite-kill unless I get datasuckers, which I can't because he blocks centrals so well. I think I score an NAPD but it doesn't matter.

This match was recorded, but I hope they lose the video somehow

And that was that! Third place, 8-1 with my Corp deck but 4-5 with my Runner deck.

I'm still elated at how I did, and thanks to Uncle's Games for hosting us!! The poor employee was there until 3:30AM, that's insane!! And thanks to Jeremy for running such a fantastic tournament, I'm super glad I came up for the trip.

A++++ would play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.