Subject: "Winterizing" maps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maciej Czerwiec
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys!

Recently I got urgent need to somehow "pimp" my CC, and I was thinking - did you try to make winter versions of maps? I got an idea to paint plexi with white spray to add some snow to winter scenarios. I tried it on small plexi piece and I'm not sure if it's a good idea. When I'll get something with camera I'll try to post pictures, but for now you have to imagine it. What do you think about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrythesecond
United Kingdom
Camborne
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
A future player sleeps...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty certain there are guys on this forum with sufficient graphic design skills to produce a 'winterised' version of a CC map on a .jpeg or similar file type.

Any takers out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short of scanning and using a graphics to modify the art, I don't think your paint on plexiglass would be very aesthetically effective. Also the paint might block lines of sight, elevation contours, etc. making the game harder to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
see the vassal mod, map 5w, 9fw, or any of the other maps (you can tell they have map# with a letter code after) for examples.

All were done in Photoshop. In most cases, for winter or rubble a simple spray texture was used with a brush that suited the effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
travillaintim wrote:
see the vassal mod, map 5w, 9fw, or any of the other maps (you can tell they have map# with a letter code after)

Tim, I was going to post this answer, but when I went into the latest vassal mod (v2.3), these maps aren't presented on the board selection menu. Just maps 1-71, no letters. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
travillaintim wrote:
see the vassal mod, map 5w, 9fw, or any of the other maps (you can tell they have map# with a letter code after)

Tim, I was going to post this answer, but when I went into the latest vassal mod (v2.3), these maps aren't presented on the board selection menu. Just maps 1-71, no letters. Am I missing something?

Oops sorry was looking at 2.1

Yeah the map mods got removed because of terrain dependencies which were part of rules enforcement stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadgr
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about putting a sheet of tracing paper or tissue paper between the map and the plexi? Might work especially if craft stores offer varying opacities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious topic.

I have always considered my imagination perfectly adequate for adding snow to a map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Czerwiec
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know imagination means a lot, but I just like to see everything that is going on. If there is snow - I need something white on board! That's why I love additional counter representing damaged sherman tank from scenario 11.

I've looked through vassal mod files and found maps you guys were talking about - they look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.