Popular Tags: hive [+] giant [+] awesomeness [+] [View All]
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine has a toddler and I decided it would be fun to make him a copy of Hive that wasn't easily swallowed by said kid.

This is not a replacement for our own copies of the game, but rather one that the baby can roll around on and play with. (Once I give it to him, I'll post pictures of the toys in action).

Here's the finished project:

The first thing I did was cut out the hexes in foam. I used another hex from a game and measured out an extra inch on each side so that I maximized the size with the foam that I had.

I measured out a grid and then make a hex stencil to mark out the hexes. Cutting the foam wasn't too easy. I recommend very sharp scissors.

As you can see they're very thick and chunky (good for tiny kiddo hands).

I wanted to go with a quilt-like feel so I choose two colors (green and orange) and picked out half a dozen patterns for each. The fabric store where I was shopping has small pre-cut squares used primarily for quilting anyway so it was easy and fun to pick lots out.

I cut out the bug shapes from solid colors. And a friend of mine helped out as well. (She did the awesome grasshopper, the bees, and the beetles).

I used the hex stencil to make sure that the bugs weren't too big. And I made sure to iron all the pieces so they would lay flat.

I used permanent fabric glue and fray blocker to make sure the bugs don't get frayed too quickly.

Then I used fabric glue and pins to cover the hexes after lining up the bugs (this is important, I missed the mark on a few of them).

The last step was covering the bases. I used some tough fabric that is primarily for outdoor furniture. Hopefully it'll be more durable that way.

I'm very happy with the finished project, and can't wait to gift it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
WOW!

Cutting the foam was hard? Wondering if you tried a sawing motion and that failed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! It looks terrific, Jes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we three wrote:
WOW!

Cutting the foam was hard? Wondering if you tried a sawing motion and that failed?

No I just straight up cut them with scissors. The cutting itself was easy, but it took so long I got a few blisters along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scdoster wrote:
Wow! It looks terrific, Jes!

Thanks Stasia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathryn Harmon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It turned out beautifully! I am so impressed. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work, it looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Can you take a pic of them next to a ketchup bottle, soup can, something for a size reference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
Can you take a pic of them next to a ketchup bottle, soup can, something for a size reference?

I couldn't find a reference pear, but a can of pop will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
jesb wrote:
toober wrote:

Mike, I'm glad you asked cuz I was thinking they were much smaller!

It's a good size for toddlers. I can also, if you don't mind, see these working really well as wall decor.
It would be SO CUTE!

Editing to add that I can see these in a 'bug' themed kids room that would work all the way up to maybe age 9 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we three wrote:
jesb wrote:
toober wrote:

Mike, I'm glad you asked cuz I was thinking they were much smaller!

It's a good size for toddlers. I can also, if you don't mind, see these working really well as wall decor.
It would be SO CUTE!

And they totally match my mix matched living room. Lol. Kind of wish I'd just made them for myself haha. They work really well just as building blocktoo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
You should see some of the stuff they try to pass off as kid room decor in some catalogs! I'm guessing the big draw is child safety and legal responsibility etc but have you see some of the crappy ideas for rooms?

Bugs would be a Great line and an easy sell to parents.

Bug toddler quilts, foam ( or wooden - painted with special 'safe' paint ),
a matching rug and pillows...

Just sayin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Nice work Jes! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valarie
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider, is chaos for the fly.
mbmbmbmbmb
These are amazing! Great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fabulous and what a wonderful idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McGinnes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we three wrote:
You should see some of the stuff they try to pass off as kid room decor in some catalogs! I'm guessing the big draw is child safety and legal responsibility etc but have you see some of the crappy ideas for rooms?

Bugs would be a Great line and an easy sell to parents.

Bug toddler quilts, foam ( or wooden - painted with special 'safe' paint ),
a matching rug and pillows...

Just sayin'.

I am guessing that you have never met a mother who is deathly afraid of moths. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I had a lot of fun making them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
badge
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd
mbmbmbmbmb
jesb wrote:
toober wrote:

These are awesome! (bonus points for calling it pop! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a very nice idea Jes. And it turned out very well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
These are fantastic! Thank you for posting pics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing. I'm tempted to make a set for our baby-on-the-way. Not sure if we have room though (apartments in Japan).

I do worry that they'll get destroyed much faster than you've anticipated. They don't look durable enough for a toddler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Amazing. I'm tempted to make a set for our baby-on-the-way. Not sure if we have room though (apartments in Japan).

I do worry that they'll get destroyed much faster than you've anticipated. They don't look durable enough for a toddler.

I'm sure they will. The recipient is a little tornado wearing a diaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really clever. I can imagine using this method to make hexes from, well, any game that uses hexes!

jesb wrote:
I wanted to go with a quilt-like feel so I choose two colors (green and orange) and picked out half a dozen patterns for each. The fabric store where I was shopping has small pre-cut squares used primarily for quilting anyway so it was easy and fun to pick lots out.

If you're going shopping, these pieces are called fat quarters, or there are smaller pieces that are fat eighths. A typical quarter yard is long and narrow (approx 9" x 44") and not as useful for quilting or crafting. A fat quarter is a yard of fabric cut in half lengthwise and crosswise (approx 18" x 22").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now it's time for a toddler friendly version of Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Now it's time for a toddler friendly version of Agricola.

thumbsup Squishy sheep! And cows! And pigs! This has so many possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.