Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Escape: Zombie City» Forums » General

Subject: Expensive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Moreno
United States
Brentwood
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is it just me, or does the cost to preorder seem fairly high for what's included in the game? I don't know I guess i might be missing something. Is the game supposed to have a higher retail cost as well? Post kickstarter that is. That's my understanding on how most kickstarters work; your pledge price is usually lower than the final retail cost. It just seems that $55, $65 is a lot of money, and that that kind of money can buy a lot of game elsewhere. I do really love the concept, but I may have to wait a while before I hope on board unfortunately
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for most non-miniature boardgames, the OLGS should have the price around that of the KS, minus exclusives. If you shop around, you can get the base game *much* lower than the KS. This makes sense if boardgame companies don't want to upset their distributors by giving their backers *too* much of a discount.

OTOH, If you *want* the game ASAP and *want* the exclusives and expansions, the KS is a convenient way of doing this (well, if you don't mind the wait!). For EZC, $65 gets you the base game and an expansion. I don't think that's high, but EZC is not a "must have" game for me. I've found better places for my gaming money as well. Mmm... popup fantasy gaming terrain!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, IIRC my Kickstarter copy of Escape came to me MONTHS before it was available anywhere else, which I was very happy about... so if Queen is consistent, I think you're mostly paying to get early access
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cmoreno wrote:
Is it just me, or does the cost to preorder seem fairly high for what's included in the game? I don't know I guess i might be missing something. Is the game supposed to have a higher retail cost as well? Post kickstarter that is. That's my understanding on how most kickstarters work; your pledge price is usually lower than the final retail cost. It just seems that $55, $65 is a lot of money, and that that kind of money can buy a lot of game elsewhere. I do really love the concept, but I may have to wait a while before I hope on board unfortunately

I've got to say I agree with you on this one. I've been anxiously looking forward to this and awaiting the Kickstarter and have been let down by the pledge levels. I will pick this up once it gets to retail and it will get to retail. Not really bothered if I have to wait months extra for it.

That being said, Queen may sweeten the deal at some point by adding another game for "free" - they've done this in the past. If that happens, I will have to reevaluate my decision. As I stands now, I have not backed the game because if the price but have the reminder set once this one ends.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
Avatar
mb
Too pricey for me too - especially with $15 shipping on top, it's being produced in Europe, how can it cost nothing to ship it to the US but $15 to ship it to the UK

This is an automatic purchase for me at retail, though, I'll just have to be patient!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Queen Games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K T Magiosnik
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm sure some kickfanatics will have their objections to this, you can preorder the base-game on Coolstuffinc for about $34.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/202185
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno
United States
Brentwood
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Haha well now that's more like it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hmph! "Modern-Day Robin Hood." What am I supposed to do? Steal from myself and give to the poor?
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a bit much. I will wait two years for the big box kickstarter.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Are there any exclusives to this KS? I don't see any on the page. For Escape: Curse of the Temple there was a foil box that was exclusive, but nothing special (promos make it to BGG store, expansion came out later). I think all you get from Queen KS is just early distribution and receipt of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrachenFir wrote:
Are there any exclusives to this KS? I don't see any on the page. For Escape: Curse of the Temple there was a foil box that was exclusive, but nothing special (promos make it to BGG store, expansion came out later). I think all you get from Queen KS is just early distribution and receipt of the game.


Compared to Escape the Temple Curse, this one is quite expensive

For $50 and free shipping we got the game, the Promos, and the first $30 Expansion

This one is charging $65 +$15 Shipping for the game and Promos (more Zombies). So, minus the big expansion, this one is still $30 more. Sounds like a $60 loss to me

I really want it. But not THAT bad.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
the1jugg wrote:
DrachenFir wrote:
Are there any exclusives to this KS? I don't see any on the page. For Escape: Curse of the Temple there was a foil box that was exclusive, but nothing special (promos make it to BGG store, expansion came out later). I think all you get from Queen KS is just early distribution and receipt of the game.


Compared to Escape the Temple Curse, this one is quite expensive

For $50 and free shipping we got the game, the Promos, and the first $30 Expansion

This one is charging $65 +$15 Shipping for the game and Promos (more Zombies). So, minus the big expansion, this one is still $30 more. Sounds like a $60 loss to me

I really want it. But not THAT bad.


Agreed. That's why I was asking about exclusives. Absent any exclusives, I'll wait for retail and my FLGS/OLGS to get it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrachenFir wrote:
the1jugg wrote:
DrachenFir wrote:
Are there any exclusives to this KS? I don't see any on the page. For Escape: Curse of the Temple there was a foil box that was exclusive, but nothing special (promos make it to BGG store, expansion came out later). I think all you get from Queen KS is just early distribution and receipt of the game.


Compared to Escape the Temple Curse, this one is quite expensive

For $50 and free shipping we got the game, the Promos, and the first $30 Expansion

This one is charging $65 +$15 Shipping for the game and Promos (more Zombies). So, minus the big expansion, this one is still $30 more. Sounds like a $60 loss to me

I really want it. But not THAT bad.


Agreed. That's why I was asking about exclusives. Absent any exclusives, I'll wait for retail and my FLGS/OLGS to get it.


i backed but i finally do the same as nothing is exclusive...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrachenFir wrote:
the1jugg wrote:
DrachenFir wrote:
Are there any exclusives to this KS? I don't see any on the page. For Escape: Curse of the Temple there was a foil box that was exclusive, but nothing special (promos make it to BGG store, expansion came out later). I think all you get from Queen KS is just early distribution and receipt of the game.


Compared to Escape the Temple Curse, this one is quite expensive

For $50 and free shipping we got the game, the Promos, and the first $30 Expansion

This one is charging $65 +$15 Shipping for the game and Promos (more Zombies). So, minus the big expansion, this one is still $30 more. Sounds like a $60 loss to me

I really want it. But not THAT bad.


Agreed. That's why I was asking about exclusives. Absent any exclusives, I'll wait for retail and my FLGS/OLGS to get it.


Agree high prices, stretch goals not much, doesn't support 5 players. I'll get from my OLGS. Dropped my EB pledge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, if you really want to get everything, chances are the KS version will be the cheaper way to go, mostly because you're getting a bunch (12 at current count) of different promos as part of the base price, and if you tried to get all those promos separately, they'd be $3 each via direct purchase (if history is any guide). Plus as noted above, actual price for sale online will likely be higher Plus you get a free copy of Inka, which if nothing else you can probably trade away as a $10 or $15-ish for some other game, cutting the price a bit more.

Or you can wait 18 months and get the big box collection of everything
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Or you can wait 18 months and get the big box collection of everything


Honestly that thought crossed my mind. I passed on the Escape big box because I had so much of the stuff, and $43 for promos seemed excessive.

I know with Fleet Arttic Bounty, they were Kickstarting for $46 (with shipping to Canada).

When the game released I picked it up for $18.95. Now, if I want the extras, it will cost me $22 to order from the company. Again, thats a high price for promos It works out just about even. So, would I have gotten anything from paying for it 6 months ago? Just a slightly earlier copy of the game I guess.

BTW Richard, your playthroughs are awesome. thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ended up pledging, see how it goes and if i don't like it then I will just cancel it. Though it doesn't feel very special to be an early bird II pledger.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does come with 2 free games also
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hemmed and hawed at this for hours yesterday. I found this whole game/kickstarter because I was trying to figure out how to get the stretch goals from the Escape Big Box Kickstarter which I didn't realize happened (Clearly I need to figure out how to learn about these things sooner!).

Many would probably see this as completely idiotic, but in the end, I decided to pledge because of the Big Box stretch goals $40 add-on. I feel like paying $40 might be much easier than trying to find and track down those promos later.

At the $90 pledge level + $40 for Big Box Stretch, I get the Escape stretches, Escape Queenies, this new game, its stretches, and two other other games that I wouldn't have purchased but will get at least a couple plays out of (so, maybe the cost of a Pick Up and Play Library ticket or two at GenCon!).


Is it expensive? Sure. If I tried hard enough, I could probably get both base games for ~$70-$80 total (eventually). For me, that means about $50 of my pledge for all the stretch goals and queenies for the two games which may or may not be released together if at all.

Collecting promos and exclusives is really where the hobby gets expensive anyway, and the Kickstarter seems to just make it a bit more convenient to obtain everything. It definitely took a lot of Excel massaging to find the value, but it was there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
just wait for it to release in stores and then you can get it on amazon for around $40ish
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.