Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Harbin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
According to the printed rulebook, pg.4:

"Choose at least 4O cards for your deck from the 78 available,or follow the instructions given by the scenario."

Then it states, on pg.8:

"There is a certain number of copies of each card. As a result,you can not incorporate more than this number in your deck." The bullet line just points to the bottom of the card.

Played the first scenario "Godsend" and removed all the listed cards.

Now there are still several cards, on both sides, that will not apply to the units involved in this scenario, because they pertain to special equipment or units not used.Speed Setup,High Command,etc.

O.K. I went ahead and removed the unusable cards from my decks, but I had to read through ALL the cards, on my first playthrough, to even know that these cards would be useless.It kinda killed the surprise factor of exploring a new game.
Why wouldn't these be on the scenario list of removed cards as well?

My other question is about the number at the bottom of the Action Cards.
Every one has a number such as 1/3. For example, the U.S. card Second Chance has three cards total in the deck.Each one is marked the same as 1/3.

Do I only get to choose 1 Second Chance card for my at least 40 card deck?
If that is the case, then what would be the purpose of 3 copies of that card if I can only ever use 1 of them. Is it for future expansion or multiplayer or some rule I have not yet seen?

If I get to choose all 3, then what is the purpose of the rule on pg.8? Why does it matter if the card is 1 of 3 identical cards? What would be the point of the number as it is not a collection number identifying a unique card. As the deck is made up of at LEAST 40 cards, as per the rule on pg.4, there is no deck size limit, other than the 78 available, so more is better, right?

Should I take 1 or all 3 when I am making the deck?
Is it the 1 or the 3 that the bullet line and rule is pertaining to?

The revised download rules 1.1 are the same, only the page numbers are different.

The game is AMAZING, the rules...well, translation is maybe more of an art than a science?...Lots of vagaries and questions that I hope can be clarified in future revisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, you can use all of the duplicate cards if you wish. The secret is that you are supposed to have at least 40 cards. A smaller deck means that you will get to the "desired" cards "sooner" but also that you may not have all the dupes you might need.

Deck preparation is the slowest part of every game I have played that uses prepared decks. One way to speed this up is to just discard "unusable" cards as you go. I do find that removing the special cards and the called out cards first will help even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am solo playing the first few scenarios and, whilst I really enjoy the system and the high quality components, I have been a bit worried by the cards.

They can have DRAMATIC effects on tactics. Filling back to four each turn seems a bit overpowered. I am playing as per the rules right now but might limit cards somehow once I get a better feel for the game.

The deck size is a balance of variety, where more is good, and tailored utility, where fewer cards in the deck gives you the cards you want more frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harbin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I understand the min/max game of smaller deck,more favorites, bigger deck,more variety.My question is about which way to interpret the rule.

What made me think I was doing something wrong is the rule itself,not whether a card will come up more often in my draw.

I am not questioning the probability of a card coming up,I am wondering if I am screwing up a rule because the rule is printed in such a way that I can interpret it one of 2 ways.

The rule says"...you can not incorporate more than this number in your deck

Which number?

The 1 or the 3?

There is just a line pointing toward the bottom of the card.

The 3 makes more sense, but I am just making sure.

Just saying "You may take multiple copies of a card in your deck" would be crystal clear. As there would only be 3 copies of Second Chance, max, I would never take more than three anyway.

By printing 1/3 and pointing toward it saying "...you can not incorporate more than this number..." is a little vague, when I have two numbers to choose from.

Guess the second number is just informational and lets me know that I have multiple cards coming, if I put them all in my deck.

This game is a blast, and thanks for your replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with the '3'. It makes no sense to provide 3 when you can only use 1, unless they are back-ups or for multi-player rules.

It is my assumption that the '1/3' is an error for two of the three cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harbin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Going with the second number, as it does make more sense.

The 3 was only an example of the card "Second Chance".

All of the multi cards are like this, so I don't think its an error.

All 4 Burst Into Action cards are 1/4,2 Battle Rage= 1/2, 2 Sneaky Shot=1/2 etc...

Even the single cards like The Fury of the Fuhrer are listed as 1/1.

So I guess this means this is 1 card/of the only 1 I can incorporate in my deck.

Just seems strange to me to me, but as the french say...c'est la vie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or "c'est la jeu de guerre"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with 3.

There are many examples where the specific words used in the English Rulebook translations leave A LOT open to interpretation.

They are taking on board feedback for a version 1.1c Rulebook with precise English translations.

C'est cinematique, mais c'est lassiez faire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like cards in games... Paths of Glory, Tide of Iron, Memoir '44 Overlord ruleset being some of my Faves. However, the cards are more relevant in some games than others.

The beauty of Paths of Glory is that the cards can be played in six different ways. HoN on the other hand could be played just as easily without using the cards at all.

If you don't like the time it takes to set the decks up in HoN or you have limited time to play, try playing without the cards, the game is just as much fun. It's your game, play it the way you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi can I check a point with your comment. You state that you have 78 cards available in your deck.

I have counted mine and each of my decks is only 76 cards.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paletti
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sjwthomas wrote:
Hi can I check a point with your comment. You state that you have 78 cards available in your deck.

I have counted mine and each of my decks is only 76 cards.

Steve

V1.1 of the rules states that there are 76 cards per deck. So your decks are complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Snigwiddle wrote:

Why wouldn't these be on the scenario list of removed cards as well?

There's a number of reasons you mightn't want to remove them (including simply padding out the deck). Also bear in mind you can switch out units in the scenarios for others of the same cost, so you may end up including units for which the card is relevant (I'm pretty sure High Command is universal - it just gives you a special order for the turn).
Quote:

If that is the case, then what would be the purpose of 3 copies of that card if I can only ever use 1 of them. Is it for future expansion or multiplayer or some rule I have not yet seen?

You can use all three. I expect it's simply there for future expansions - if for example the SoN US deck contains copies of cards from the base HoN US deck you'd still be limited to the 3 originally in the base game, the same would likely apply to other expansions.
Of course, there's probably also players who have access to more than one copy of the base game too ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.