Subject: Starter set recommendations? Y-Wing or B-Wing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a friend of mine just got the Core Set and we've played it a few times and I'm thinking of making the plunge as well.

Obviously I want the Core Set (will then have two when I play with the friend). Then I want to get two other ships.

After reading a few recommendations I think I might get the Tie Advanced, but not sure what extra rebel ship to get. I'm thinking a Y-Wing or the B-Wing.

What would be better when you have so few ships, the Y or the B-Wing? Or something else? (I was hoping to get something besides another X-Wing just to mix it up a little).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't have much experience myself, but from what I read I would get the B-Wing.

...and a couple of TIEs. Four TIE/INs and one Advanced seems to be pretty much on the low end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if just looking for "two ships"...

...the Millenium Falcon and Slave 1 are solid choices.

In fact, a Falcon + 2x X-Wing list, with the right pilots and upgrades, is actually an extremely even-tournament-viable list, to this day. And while a Slave-1 and 4x TIE Fighters...isn't, really, without the pilots from the TIE Fighter expansion, it's not awful.

ANYWAY, the other real reason to buy those two is that...if you are looking to just 'play casual' with a friend...they also each come with a very good scenario. (The 'small' ship packs do not, only the 'big' packs...so at the moment, just the Falcon, Slave-1, Imperial Shuttle, "Imperial Aces" pack, Rebel Transport, and Tantive IV)

So that gives you more options for how to USE the ships you've got!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
At the moment I would suggest the Y wing. It has some quirks but is an iconic ship. Two of the best non-EPT pilots are Dutch and Horton, they are so good they don't even need a medal! The turret upgrade is very forgiving which makes it easy to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd want to grab an imperial aces box set before grabbing a tie advanced. There's a lot of stuff in there. And the advanced isn't very good.

But I also second the falcon +slave suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Burke
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Part Owner, Gen Con Games Library
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Y-wing is also cool because it adds Ion and Turret mechanics. Those are fun to learn, and probably also good to learn early. Pick up the B-wing later (but it is sweet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solid vote for the Y-wing. Eventually you'll want the B-wing too, but Y to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chau
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are ONLY picking up two ships, I would definitely recommend the Y-Wing for the rebels. I find that the B-Wing seems to just replace the X-Wing while the Y-Wing plays differently.

For the Imperials, the Tie Advanced is generally seen as one of the weaker ships. If you don't plan on picking up other ships for awhile and/or you really want to play as Darth Vader (which is pretty much the only reason why you would want a Tie Advanced), then go for the Tie Advanced. But if you think you'll be building up, then you may even want to go for the Tie Fighter expansion so that you can get the other pilots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Ashram
msg tools
Definitely the y wing... The added play element of turrets is a great adddition, and you can still use droids on it. Save the b wing.

And I second the vote for imperial aces... Interceptors have a really fun mix of dial and boost and barrel roll.

Stay away from the falcon and slave one, I think... That's a lot of ship for a small collection and can throw off the dogfight feel a tiny bit at first. I would also stay away from the tie and x wing expansions, unless you are a tournament player... You can always print out the cards for those pilots, and spend your fifteen bucks on a ship with a profile and dial you don't already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Ashram wrote:

And I second the vote for imperial aces... Interceptors have a really fun mix of dial and boost and barrel roll.

Are the Imperial Aces better than just buying the Tie interceptor? Obviously it's two ships compared to one, but is there a reason that one or both of the Imperial Ace interceptors are just a better ship to have? (i.e., should I really spend the extra money on the Aces at this point?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
You will like getting at least one Interceptor expansion as Soontir Fel and Turr Phennir are very cool pilots plus you get the added bonus of Alpha and Avenger Squadrons (the plain Jane Interceptors).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lord Ashram wrote:
Definitely the y wing... The added play element of turrets is a great adddition, and you can still use droids on it. Save the b wing.

Stay away from the falcon and slave one, I think... That's a lot of ship for a small collection and can throw off the dogfight feel a tiny bit at first. I would also stay away from the tie and x wing expansions, unless you are a tournament player... You can always print out the cards for those pilots, and spend your fifteen bucks on a ship with a profile and dial you don't already have.

Sorry to bump up this thread again, but wanted to get some more thoughts on this. Can you clarify what you meant by "that's a lot of ship for a small collection"? I'm in a similar situation as the OP, and think the Falcon and Slave I just look cool. laugh Would love to hear more thoughts as to why not to go for the bigger ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Wittwer
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for them, both are fun to play. Combine them with a second core set and you can build competitive 100 point squads for both Rebels and Imperials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All I can say is the Y-wing is a solid attack ship capable of carrying good pilots & significant firepower. Although it can get costly fast. It isn't very maneuverable but can take a lot of damage & used with Garvin it can become very nasty very quickly.

Personally I'm not real impressed with the YT-1300. I mean it's a major firesoak that keeps Kyle Katarn & his moldy crow out of harm's way but for the cost with a good pilot, a missile, & a single crew I can pretty much buyWedge or Luke & a rookie who can put out significantly more firepower than can a YT. EEspecially Wedge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tantive IV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikehouserock wrote:
Lord Ashram wrote:

Sorry to bump up this thread again, but wanted to get some more thoughts on this. Can you clarify what you meant by "that's a lot of ship for a small collection"? I'm in a similar situation as the OP, and think the Falcon and Slave I just look cool. laugh Would love to hear more thoughts as to why not to go for the bigger ships.

I'm not Lord Ashram, but I think I can explain what he's talking about.

The large base ships fly very differently from the small base ships, due to a combination of their dials and the speed the increase in base size adds to each maneuver. This difference can really change the nature of the "feel" of the fights. The Falcon never feels like it's on a ship's tail and pursuing them, for instance -- it's just always a threat on the battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.