Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does everyone think of NF after all these years? I wish I played more of this game. I seriously enjoyed it when I was involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Night a Fusion is a pretty great set. It feels ALMOST like a new starter set/beginning of a new cycle, with Escape Artist and Mad Monkey Monk along with some other basic units.

I think, though, that Serrated Dawn would have been a turning point for the game, if it had been released. Madness and Passion would have gotten a huge boost and I have said it before and will probably say it again (even when no one else knows what the hell I'm talking about because I'm the only person that still remembers Dreamblade)—Madness/Passion would have been the warband to beat after Serrated Dawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Hergl
Germany
Riemerling near Munich
flag msg tools
I give demos for the Star Wars LCG in Munich
badge
I give demos for the Star Wars LCG in Munich
mbmbmbmbmb
Scud-O wrote:
I think, though, that Serrated Dawn would have been a turning point for the game, if it had been released. Madness and Passion would have gotten a huge boost and I have said it before and will probably say it again (even when no one else knows what the hell I'm talking about because I'm the only person that still remembers Dreamblade)—Madness/Passion would have been the warband to beat after Serrated Dawn.

Not true. Just played the game yesterday with my girlfriend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Milford Haven
Pembrokeshire
flag msg tools
Rai # 5 by Valiant Comics
badge
Jim Shooter is a comics legend!
mbmbmbmbmb
I never quite knew what to make of Dreamblade. I got a couple of starters, a few boosters and some job lots on eBay. I setup the least complex figures of each faction into armies and played a few games with my wife. She chose Passion, and I alternated between Fear and Madness (don't worry, that's not an allegory of our marriage).
I thought the game was an odd mix between chess-like, brain burn strategy and luck-based dice rolls.
I think the theme put a lot of people off. It's too weird for some, and doesn't have the big name draw of a Star Wars or Marvel Heroes licence.

Given the way the industry has changed since Dreamblade's release, I think a re-release would be in order, but with a new format.
I can see:
* Dreamblade basic set (2 pre-made starter armies, paper map etc.) a la Summoner Wars
* Dreamblade deluxe set (2 pre-made armies, proper board, guide book on army building)
* Non-blind blister pack mini-expansions
* Promos (like everything else)

I think a way to help promote the game and support the existing fans would require keeping all the original figures fully compatible, and maybe release Serrated Dawn as a set of non-blind boosters. Then maybe reprint some of the rarer original figures in the base sets along with completely new figures.

Does anyone else think this format could work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it would work, personally I would join it.

But I must admit that the CMG's I joined, always stopped after a few years...

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www_Mischraum_de wrote:
Scud-O wrote:

What part is not true? The Twin-Skull Archway/Skin Sculptor M/P band (using Warpstrikes and Crits) is a real thing. Or would have been. I haven't played in a while, but there was a point where we were using proxy sets of Serrated Dawn (stickers on wooden bases the same size as DBM bases) and the M/P band I put together won pretty regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
(even when no one else knows what the hell I'm talking about because I'm the only person that still remembers Dreamblade)

I'm pretty sure he was saying the above was not true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
(even when no one else knows what the hell I'm talking about because I'm the only person that still remembers Dreamblade)

I'm pretty sure he was saying the above was not true.

That makes much more sense. Sorry all, my experiences writing for Netrunner have made me reflexively defensive.

Dreamblade RULEZ!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attila Banyai
Romania
flag msg tools
My personal favorites are mostly from Anvilborn, therefore I would rank NF somewhere at 3-4 place, Anvilborn takes the first place, while base set takes second place.
I think where NF really shines is the creativity chapter : dream lords, shield abilities, multi aspect served with a bunch of new abilities.
The lineage minis were extensively tested since I like lineage warbands as a concept.
The dream lords were also tried out, but had... difficulty adapting to an unwishing well dominated era :-D Kendra was most liked, dropping her in combat to be able to throw a bunch o' dices is pure fun, even if she was overwhelmed most of the time afterwards.
To finish the write-up I would like to list the minis that most often participated in warbands, a sort of MVP list if you will:
Eggspewer (making his way into many fear warbands, due to good stats and attractive shield ability)
Mad Monkey Monk (being a passion player, he's around most of the time)
Nightfire Giant (preferred assault unit, taken 95% of the time versus the ragedrake)
Sun Titan (the fear factor)
Zungar Winddancer (so much more then a brighthammer avenger)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A guy can only keep and play so many of these clever CMGs. I had to move on from DB to HeroClix recently and while I enjoy them both, I can't afford the collectability aspect across the board. There is a complete set of Night Fusion on eBay as a result.

I think ultimately I found the DB figures to be a bit depressing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
don vandrei
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
$370 is a little much, I can buy individuals for a fraction of that, though it might take me a year or so. When your price gets down to around $125 let me know and I will take them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Z.
Italy
GE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
streaky2007 wrote:
Given the way the industry has changed since Dreamblade's release, I think a re-release would be in order, but with a new format.
I can see:
* Dreamblade basic set (2 pre-made starter armies, paper map etc.) a la Summoner Wars
* Dreamblade deluxe set (2 pre-made armies, proper board, guide book on army building)
* Non-blind blister pack mini-expansions
* Promos (like everything else)

I agree on all points bar the last one. Promos were good the way WotC did them (for DB but also D&D and SW) simply repaints. No one wants exclusive promo figures not easily accessible to everyone, because the time when an op one will slip out (and there will be one, be sure) it will go for stupid prices on eBay, no to (bar the more honest and virtuous ones) will ever give it at events to sell it instead on eBay. the whole process unloading buckets of grief on the whole game and its community. So please, I like promos, but keep them only for brag, no relation to what people will be able to play.

I also agree with your connection with Summoner Wars. In fact, I was surfing old posts on the major italian bg community and read a lot of negative posts on DB because "it's chess with dice" and dice should be kept away from chess, while since just a couple years on, everybody there praises SW (and the game deserves it, lot's of fun and I'm among the ones loving it). But it's still a chessboard with special abilities and dice (and lots of luck involved). Not so much diverse than DB, I was thinking reading those posts. So I'm happy someone else see a relation between the two.

To me, what DB failed is in the main factor that made me approach it: the miniatures, as I'm a sucker for little toy soldiers. But, honestly, while some are very good, lots of them go from unimpressive to plain ugly. Also, scale is a thing. Too much different sized figures makes the game hard to store. In the end, and I hate myself for writing this, if a re-release will ever happen, it should be without minis, just tiles, it would keep costs down, makes the game easier to store and transports, and the gamer-type who could appreciate this game is not necessarily interested in miniatures, and if it is (like me) he could satisfy his needs for little mens killing each other with other, more dedicated, games, games with properly scaled models and scenarios, and less abstract rules.
Alternatively, I would like very much miniatures made more in a chess-style (look at Navia Dratp or Loka, for instance) with a more compact and less bendy build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hurley
msg tools
I felt that Night Fusion was the most creative expansion with the new figure mechanics (multi-aspect and Dreamlords oh my!) and the really off the wall things they came up with that expanded on existing mechanics. However, I didn't (and still don't) think that the set changed the way anything was played. I was also a bit disappointed that no Anvilborn pieces were brought into Night Fusion (or Serrated Dawn, for that matter).

Even after the game died, WOTC held a Dreamblade tournament at (IIRC) Indycon the next year--one year after the 50K tournament. There was a small showing of dedicated players (no money prizes, just a lot of product and promos, to include Fear dice. I wanted to go, but the missus was pregnant with twins and we couldn't travel). But from what I remember, a year passed and the competitive meta barely changed. Unwishing Well bands were almost (save for 1, maybe 2 figures) unchanged from their Anvilborn builds, Hellbred bands were a thing, and Hunter-Killer bands were far, far behind. The only big noticeable change was that, if you had Unsated Ragedrake in a war band, you replaced it with Kendra Vale.

Unfortunately, it would have been Serrated Dawn that would have made the most interesting changes to the game. As said earlier, Twin-Skull Archway teams would have been the new tier-1 band to beat, with Unwishing Well variants and Hellbred teams vying for tier 2.
And with Berthing Frog and Muck Snake; Darkheart Cottage swarm teams would have made a resurgence. There were talks of using Bladespine Eyesack in a deathrip team, much akin to the Slaughterwheel builds. And using Sir Wolven as deathrip fodder (Advance All, anyone?). And there was a bit of commotion about the Madness location, Little Bed of Horrors, but I never saw anything come about that would have actually utilized it.

Scud-O wrote:
www_Mischraum_de wrote:
Scud-O wrote:
I think, though, that Serrated Dawn have been a turning point for the game, if it had been released. Madness and Passion would have gotten a huge boost and I have said it before and will probably say it again (even when no one else knows what the hell I'm talking about because I'm the only person that still remembers Dreamblade)—Madness/Passion would have been the warband to beat after Serrated Dawn.

What part is not true? The Twin-Skull Archway/Skin Sculptor M/P band (using Warpstrikes and Crits) is a real thing. Or would have been. I haven't played in a while, but there was a point where we were using proxy sets of Serrated Dawn (stickers on wooden bases the same size as DBM bases) and the M/P band I put together won pretty regularly.

Do you still happen to have notes of what would go great in the M/P Twin-Skull Archway team?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volunteer Magic wrote:

Do you still happen to have notes of what would go great in the M/P Twin-Skull Archway team?

Twin-Skull Archway

Skin Sculptor (Halo {B}: Crit 3)

Skatetrix ({B}: Wish — Assign one blade to one blade ability of each other creature you control that attacked this combat)

Cutterella (Edged Crit 2 — Whenever a local creature you control activates a blade ability, deal +2 damage this combat)

Horned Beast ({U}, {B}: Double Warpstrike 4)

Add in a few other Warpstrikers (Book of Nothing/Gun-Possessed Killer/Doomsinger) and go to town.

If I were really feeling mean, I'd figure out how to pack the Cyclopean Sprite + Gent combo, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scud-O wrote:
If I were really feeling mean, I'd figure out how to pack the Cyclopean Sprite + Gent combo, too.

I remember how it felt being on the receiving end of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a slightly tweaked (and therefore untested) version of M/P:

2 x Spellbound Scissors 2M
2 x Blood Thirsty Redcap 3P
1 x Night Gaunt 4M
1 x Horned Beast 5P
2 x Twin-Skull Archway 5PP
2 x Skin Sculptor 5MP
1 x Cyclopean Sprite 5M
1 x Gent 5M
1 x Gun-Possessed Killer 6MM
1 x Skatetrix 6MM
1 x Cutterella 10MP
1 x Little Charmer 12P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.