Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many of you chose your religion and how many of you just practice the religion you were born into? My parents were raised "Christian", but they don't go to church. I've maybe gone to two church gatherings in my life. That being said, I think they are still "Christian", just non-practicing. My grandmother on my dad's side stopped going to church several years ago because she didn't like the new minister and only one of my uncle's on my mom's regularly attends church. I am agnostic by choice and my brother claims to be a non-practicing "Christian".

I know it is a bit different for the Jews because that's as much an ethnicity as it is a religion.

Poll
Did you choose your religion or is it one you were born into?
Chose
Born Into
      79 answers
Poll created by mlcarter815

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
lol@results ><

Not surprising though, I dont' think anyone would actually say 'the only reason I'm in this religion is because that's how I was born.'

Any adult has to go through a period of choice, that being said, gonna do a backup poll:

Poll
Are you currently the same religion you were raised as?
Yes
No
      79 answers
Poll created by windsagio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you are born into a family that practices a certain faith/religion, doesn't everyone have to at one point or another chose to adopt the faith/religion or reject it and chose another?

In other words doesn't everyone, who is not a child, chose their religion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlieturtle wrote:
Even if you are born into a family that practices a certain faith/religion, doesn't everyone have to at one point or another chose to adopt the faith/religion or reject it and chose another?

To an extent, yes. I do know people who belong to the same religion they were born into because, in their own words, that was the way they were raised and they don't question the religion. I see it as sort of a nature vs nurture question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I chose my religion: It is the School of John.

You could join up, except the school is not accepting followers at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
charlieturtle wrote:

Not really, no. Habit is a powerful force. Unless someone was particularly unhappy with the religion they were raised in, they are likely to just continue in it. Even people who don't continue the actual rituals are likely to consider themselves "non-practicing X". It's the same as countless other traits and habits you carry forward with you in life because that just how you've always done them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother took me to the religious institution of her heritage and choice. I just had to grow out of the foolishness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My apologies for adding yet another poll, but if people would indulge me, I'd like to disentangle the smaller religious shifts (e.g. switching between different Christian sects) from the larger shifts to other faiths or from belief to unbelief and vice-versa.

For the purposes of this poll, please consider all the various and sundry branches of Christianity to constitute the same faith

Poll: Religious Persuasions
How would you describe your past and present religious affiliations?
Raised religious, still in the same denomination
Raised religious, now in a different denomination of the same faith
Raised religious, now in a different faith
Raised religious, now non-religious
Raised non-religious, still non-religious
Raised non-religious, now religious.
      90 answers
Poll created by toku42
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
My mother took me to the religious institution of her heritage and choice. I just had to grow out of the foolishness.

And here is your "angsty atheist" pat on the head. You sure told us... yes you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
charlieturtle wrote:

Not really, no. Habit is a powerful force. Unless someone was particularly unhappy with the religion they were raised in, they are likely to just continue in it. Even people who don't continue the actual rituals are likely to consider themselves "non-practicing X". It's the same as countless other traits and habits you carry forward with you in life because that just how you've always done them.

The only faith that I know might encourage their children to go out and experience other belief systems to see if they suit them better is the Amish, with their Rumspringa. Otherwise it's not necessarily an active choice, so much as a lack of strong incentive to consider the alternatives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was born a Jew but chose to observe Jewish Law.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
This is a bit confusing, as in the past you have said you converted you Judaism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Born into a non religious (but nominally Christian) family, tried one or two religions (excluding non "religious" faith, which I have also dabbled in), ended up a kind of agnostic (favoring "it does not really matter").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:
This is a bit confusing, as in the past you have said you converted you Judaism.

No, I did not. If you understood me to say that, then you misunderstood.

EDIT:
I did say my father is Christian etc but that does not negate being born a Jew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:

EDIT:
Ahh I see, you you are Jewish on your mothers side, that explains my confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Neitzert
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a great topic. Its one I have thought about before as my parents originally brought me to church and then stopped going to church when I was around 8 or 9. Also most of my relatives are christian. At times I think my parents no longer going to church was helpful in that I could truly explore all religious possibilities without anyone telling me that one was more correct over the other. I read the bible and other books about many religions on my own and came to a conclusion about what was right for me. Had my parents continued to bring me to church i don't think I would have felt free to explore other faiths.

Even though many people who have gone to a church, synagogue, temple, etc... their whole lives may say they made a choice at some point to be the religion they were born into, I'm not sure I really believe that. How many people who were born into a religion would have been free to go to another place or worship when they were living with their parents? Is it really a conscious choice if your told over and over that this religion is the correct one and others are wrong?

At the same time I sometimes envy people I know who were raised a religion their whole lives and never questioned it. They seem more content and more happy without having to question everything. Also I envy the sense of community they have by being part of something for that long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:

And here is your "angsty atheist" pat on the head. You sure told us... yes you did.

Angsty? Are you sure you know what that means?

It is a simple matter of fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:

A simple statement of fact... not laced with any loaded language whatsoever for those who still take part in foolishness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:

EDIT:

If, by some horrific clerical mishap, it turned out your mother wasn't really Jewish after all, would you convert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:

A simple statement of fact... not laced with any loaded language whatsoever for those who still take part in foolishness.

Umm, after the ninja edit, yes. Why can't I add more thumbs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
Dammit. Why can't I add more thumbs?

And why can't I add more indication of how much sarcasm was dripping from my post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:

And why can't I add more indication of how much sarcasm was dripping from my post?

[Saving this before it's changed.]

So, little truth in it whatsoever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:

My post simply pointed out the loaded language that was indicative of angst I pointed out. The fact that you are trying so very very very hard to celebrate some sort of victory in getting me to admit foolishness or whatever just confirms my observation for me.

An atheist out to prove something. Get your angst on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:

EDIT:

If, by some horrific clerical mishap, it turned out your mother wasn't really Jewish after all, would you convert?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:

My post simply pointed out the loaded language that was indicative of angst I pointed out. The fact that you are trying so very very very hard to celebrate some sort of victory in getting me to admit foolishness or whatever just confirms my observation for me.

An atheist out to prove something. Get your angst on.

Talk about angst, you've edited what I said. There was no "dammit" in the original post. And once again, you're attributing some agenda when there is none but saying the truth about me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.