Subject: counter attack die question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dario gonzalez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
if you roll a battle stations on the counter attack die and choose to spend it, does it go to a hit or to a evade? or do you choose what it gets changed to?
while using your counter attack die, if your opponent kills you and you score a hit on the die does it go through? if so what happens if the final attacks kills him as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Edit: I know better than to post anything before my first cup of coffee.

I wrote a wonderful post, Shakesperian in depth, on the wrong thing. Carry on. There's nothing to see here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
he's talking about the counter attack die resource which is the participation prize for OP9 (Collective 1)

The Counter Attack Die is considered a defense die, so if you spend a battlestations token, it would change to an evade. "The attacking ship takes damage as normal during the Deal Damage step of the combat phase" so you would not be destroyed at the point that you deal damage.

Since the CAD is not an effect that triggers on your destruction, normal game winning procedure on page 17 apply. The player who had initiative wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:

Since the CAD is not an effect that triggers on your destruction, normal game winning procedure on page 17 apply. The player who had initiative wins.

Technically, page 17 specifies "hit or destroyed," but the CAD doesn't actually trigger from being hit either, I suppose. It would still go off if you successfully evaded with your other green dice.

So yeah, reading the rules strictly as written, the player with initiative would win in that case. But I would understand if it were ruled differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that when using BS on an attack roll, you turn it to a Hit, and when using it on a Defense roll, you turn it to an Evade. I think this would fall under that ruling. The CAD is still a Defense die and I would think that you would have to turn it to an Evade just as any other die.

The results of your defense roll are applied before damage is taken. It is at this point that you would inflict the hit from the CAD. This is also when you count up your Evades and subtract them from the hits that were inflicted. Since it is resolved before actual damage is taken, your ship will deal any damage from its CAD before it is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The attacking ship takes damage as normal during the Deal Damage step of the combat phase"

verbatim quote from the CAD reference card. it deals damage during the deal damage step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dario gonzalez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
delta_angelfire wrote:
"The attacking ship takes damage as normal during the Deal Damage step of the combat phase"

verbatim quote from the CAD reference card. it deals damage during the deal damage step.

do it both ships end up killing each other at the same time. the one with the better initiative wins. so if a borg ship attacks a federation ship both captains have the same skill level the federation ship will win because it has better initiative.
what if in a rare case both ships had the same captain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Initiative is based on fleet points first, then on ships. If both players had equal points and ships of the same faction, it's a roll (generally done at the start of the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Jigsaw Man
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
Initiative is based on fleet points first, then on ships. If both players had equal points and ships of the same faction, it's a roll (generally done at the start of the game)

There are currently rules for simultaneous fire. Given that, thematically, at least, the counter-attack occurs at the same time as the attack, I would invoke the simultaneous fire rule in this situation.

Of course, if it also caused both players to loose their last ship, I would rule victory for the attacker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Reale
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Does a "Hit" with the CAD count as an "Evade" for the defending ship or just a "Blank".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
VirtualReale wrote:
Does a "Hit" with the CAD count as an "Evade" for the defending ship or just a "Blank".

A hit result does not negate damage for the defending ship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.