Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Exploration like Betrayal at the House on the Hill? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Nham
msg tools
Hey, I wondering if there are board games with exploration aspects similar to those in Betrayal at the House on the Hill, but without the traitor phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly appeals to you about the exploration mechanic?

I only ask because without the traitor aspect, really, the core explore mechanic is flip-to-discover, which is quite prevalent. Whether games use tiles or cards for discovery is irrelevant.

If I had to really think about it, the core mechanic in BHH is flip for location. The result of that location is an item or event (encounter).

Most other games of this ilk, the locations are fixed on the board, and you're flipping for the encounter. Talisman, Relic?, Prophecy, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Arkham Horror, and several others fall in this category.

There are more tactical games where you reveal a map (with accompanying encounters). Doom would fall into this category.

The only other game I know of with revealed location tiles and accompanying encounters is City of Chaos. It's been a long time since I played Chill: BMM, but that *might* also work.

As you point out, the other key element is the traitor aspect. It creates a 1-vs-many endgame. If that's not of interest, you have to decide whether you want everyone against the game, or everyone for themselves. Doom is many-vs-GM, for example, Chill actually has a see-saw effect (though it's primarily many-vs-game), and City of Chaos is every person for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Dungeon Run without the traitor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nham
msg tools
@M. Shanmugasundaram: I think the main thing I'm focusing on is a game where you build the map by flipping tiles, and that the map isn't preset. I enjoy the idea that I'm really exploring because I don't know what's coming up next. Having a cooperative element or teams would be a nice bonus, but the main thing I'm focusing on for my search is the map building.

My fiance really enjoyed the first phase of Betrayal, but is only "okay" with the second phase. The game group I have now just started recently, so I'm still trying to get a feel of what everyone likes.

@Tony Go That looks like a good one. Now to find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kaiser
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but take a look at Mansions of Madness even if the maps are preset. There is a lot of exploring stuff in it. And the replay level is high. At least to me! And you can create your own adventures if you are a little bit creative. So map building is a part of this too. Maybe in another way than you are looking for but if you like you can play the maps first when the investigators enter the rooms so they never know what's coming next...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its Kickstarter is now over, but it sounds like you wound enjoy Unknown when it comes out. Also, check out Escape: The Curse of the Temple if you can handle a real-time game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They will not all be the style you want, but here is a list of games with a modular board. At least half of these are probably Betrayal-like "make the map as you go" games.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2011/modular-boar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
The kickstarter for this game is over too, but you may want to look at Secrets of the Lost Tomb. We backed it because it reminded us so much of Betrayal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery Mansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lazzaro

Schaumburg
Illinois
msg tools
+1 to Mystery Mansion although I'm not sure how available it is. My copy is about 20 years old but still in pretty good shape. I am not a fan of traitor mechanics but the first time that I played Betrayal at House on the Hill it definitely reminded me of Mystery Mansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
HeroQuest (to an extent), Advanced Heroquest and/or Warhammer Quest

I'm not sure how helpful those are tho....

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game do a similar thing and are probably easier to get hold off now. But, I just don't think they do it as well as any of the first 3 I listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nham
msg tools
Thanks for the help! The two kickstarted games look good. I might pick those up when they come out. I can try to find the other ones and see what my group things of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DungeonQuest is the one I used to play. It's "painfully" lucky, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Merchant of Venus (second edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dungeon Run.

I'm looking for a copy as well, right now. Depending on how theme dependent you want the game to be, there are a number of racing games that build the track as you go: Snow tails and Road Kill Rally (not co-op at all, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wylann wrote:
+1 Dungeon Run.

I'm looking for a copy as well, right now. Depending on how theme dependent you want the game to be, there are a number of racing games that build the track as you go: Snow tails and Road Kill Rally (not co-op at all, though.

I happen to have a copy up for trade! I really like the game but might group prefers Betrayal over it and they are too similar in my mind to want to keep both. I bet I eventually regret this decision once Betrayal loses all the post-Tabletop popularity. The dice mechanic is Dungeon Run is really clever and I'm surprised it hasn't been replicated much anywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Morstein
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little fiddly, but Lost Valley: The Yukon Goldrush 1896 is largely exploration.

Exploration is also a major theme in Eclipse, but that may be a heavier game than you're really looking for.

In a slightly different vein, Takenoko involves building the board as you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.