Harbour» Forums » General

Subject: Category of characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hofland
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
I'm reading a lot on the balance of the game and some characters that are easier to manage.

Wondering if the rulebook will also contain a classification of characters, like easy, medium and hard for the more subtle characters for example. An icon on the character cards would work as well.

I think it comes in handy when more experienced players are teaching the game to new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotun wrote:
I'm reading a lot on the balance of the game and some characters that are easier to manage.

Wondering if the rulebook will also contain a classification of characters, like easy, medium and hard for the more subtle characters for example. An icon on the character cards would work as well.

I think it comes in handy when more experienced players are teaching the game to new players.

I could see this being handy when all players are inexperienced, but I would hope an experienced player would know that kind of thing by merit of being experienced!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Halvorsen
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
I could see this being handy when all players are inexperienced, but I would hope an experienced player would know that kind of thing by merit of being experienced!

I agree, and so maybe in the rulebook would be better, then its not present all the time, but is available for reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice idea, I agree, but yes, just in the rulebook would be best I think.

I also thought it would be fun to have the starting player cards as separate cards that slot into / go on top of the player boards (wouldn't work with the flavour text though I guess). Or maybe the bonus icons players have, plus the characters' special abilities, could be randomly drawn each time, so they aren't necessarily always attached to the same character. Just randomly choosing a starting board would pretty much do this, but it would allow for a lot more special powers to be included (but hard to play-test and balance them I guess)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
the bonus icons players have, plus the characters' special abilities, could be randomly drawn each time, so they aren't necessarily always attached to the same character...

(but hard to play-test and balance them I guess)...

Yeah, attaching a random assortment of icons and abilities is certain to make unbalanced characters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.