Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do experienced players use the historical set up (keeping Shields off map to start) or do they set him up on map?

I think that setting him up on map completely changes the dynamics of the campaign (units blocking Jacksons way early on that weren't there historically), but I'm worried that keeping Shields off map at start may be too big an advantage for the Rebs. I hope not, as I'd rather play a more historic game.

So, what do others think/do?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a big discussion with v1 rules and some changes made for 1.1 as a result of it being too easy for the union player to gain points, mainly by starting with shields on and then taking them off the map with The Rebs slowed. Head over to the forum on Columbia games as there is a lot of discussion on the pros and cons of shields on and off.

Personally I don't like to play with having shields units for victory points. I mostly start with him on the map as this prevents Jackson from moving up hard and fast and also sets up an interesting risk if the southern player decided to take on shields early and gets lucky dice. A lot of players I have spoke to like to have shields off map to start and then base entry on what the other player does, but I prefer the dynamics of the game that having him start on the map causes.

Your thoughts are correct though, the dynamics change with him on, and there can be advantage for him off map, but usually this advantage is negated with his entry later in the game. As this game plays quite quickly, I would suggest playing it twice in a sitting, once on and once off and you will find it's quite a different experience, equally good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Looby
United States
Wadhams
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play with Shields on the map at start, and I've played more games and tested the latest rules more than anyone in the world.

The chatter at CG forum is old news.... the latest rules are solid and historical.

Shields is tricky, I like to keep him on board until turn 6 or so and score points. Problem is that Jackson is capable of defeating the remaining union forces in detail.

The game with two experienced players will have 2-3 momentum swings, don't give up, hang in there until the last turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.