Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Event night! Finally, its long awaited debut in Arena #1 with newly installed floodlights for our day-night match.

If you love logistics and long range production planning, this is the game for you. The simultaneous play meant we were all engrossed throughout the 270 minutes, and we kept the pace cracking from phase to phase, not allowing Lindsay to sit down for more than a minute (the poor guy was just a bit too far from the board).

All being novices, and with a complex input/output hierarchy of resources for building requirements (gotta make this factory to produce this as input for this factory which will produce this which will enable me to ...), we all made many non-optimal moves and plans. Nonetheless the challenge of getting it right over different scenarios lures me to want to play more.

The game has definite pus possibilities for those of that bent (Hi Lindsay!) where they can send in a truck and pick up the goods ‘your’ building produced last turn, just when you planned to pick them up and use them yourself. This has the capability of producing a warfare like atmosphere. But depending on the players, it can also be played in a co-operative and peaceful spirit just as successfully. Simply choose the scenario to suit.

The game certainly inspired much kitchen post-game discussion on should-haves and what-if’s.

We played the “one size surfs five” scenario. My clay pit / stone factory combination churned out 75 points for the wonder wall, but it wasn’t quite enough to pip Rick’s last turn stock exchange / bond conversion. Jeff was pus’d successfully by some hard core gamer walls whilst Silvia and Lindsay stole each other’s production. Silvia unfortunately read the process chart incorrectly at just the wrong time to hinder her stock exchange program. All I can say is that you can go a long way with just three donkeys, some boards, stone and a gaggle of geese. Now if only I’d pulled out a gold instead of an ore on the very last turn for 10 extra points ...

Scores: Rick 218, Pat 215, Lindsay 176, Silvia 126, Jeff 109

A rating of 8 after 1 play; very good game, will happily suggest pulling this out every now and then (it’s a long game after all). It was the fastest long game I’ve ever played though, with no downtime. Any time waiting was spent planning. Even then, I had no idea what was happening on the other side of the board I was so intent on getting my area right. Next time, I’ll get it planned better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.