Lukas Vodicka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
I love the theme of Dune, but I preffer the REX rules. So I'm thinking about making "REX in Dune's coat". And I need an advice form experienced playes. My goal is:

- Have a Dune board. I need to know if the distances between polar sink/council and the strogholds (and other strongholds) are the same in both games.
- I need to preserve 8 game round, so I will use mechanics from REX. It
means there will be 2 placeces where spice appears every round in the game round. So I need 16th spot for the spice. Any advice?
- Movement will be 2 for everyone, 3 for Fremens and 4 with space ports.
- Sand strom will move at last.
- I would like to use "worthless" card found in Dune.

Did anyone solve this problem too? I will be glad for any advice.
I have played Dune once few years later. REX for 7 times in past years. So I'm not so familiar with Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done my own variation on this. I went with the same increased movement, eight turns, and two spice blows per turn. I added a sixteenth spice blow in The Greater Flat, as it's a big open territory, and I figure dropping spice in the Fremen's home turf can help give them a slight boost to counteract their being viewed as the weakest side. I went with a card set that was closer to REX's, without the worthless cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
I've done my own variation on this. I went with the same increased movement, eight turns, and two spice blows per turn. I added a sixteenth spice blow in The Greater Flat, as it's a big open territory, and I figure dropping spice in the Fremen's home turf can help give them a slight boost to counteract their being viewed as the weakest side. I went with a card set that was closer to REX's, without the worthless cards.

Did you use any elements from the Rex game? I'm considering selling mine, but I'll hold on if I can make a Dune version more easily by converting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
Did you use any elements from the Rex game? I'm considering selling mine, but I'll hold on if I can make a Dune version more easily by converting it.

Physical components, no. I don't have a copy of REX, and am using a copy of Dune and a custom set of cards I ran off on PrinterStudio. (Actually, at this point, I'm just using the combat wheels and leaders, as I have custom versions of all the cards, a laser-cut acrylic board I made on Ponoko, crystalline spice tokens, and stacking plastic counters for army units. I'll probably replace the leader disks before long, too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Vodicka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
That's nice. If I understand it right, you didn't change anything on board. Except numbers of spice blows ofc. Sectors are unchanged; right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spatnak wrote:
That's nice. If I understand it right, you didn't change anything on board. Except numbers of spice blows ofc. Sectors are unchanged; right?

Yeah, I kept the board and how you interact with it the same, despite the weirdness with movement being by region and the storm being by sector, and how the two need to be reconciled. It would take a fairly fundamental redesign of the board to change that, as in REX itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Sudhoff
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tried the same thing... still working on it.

Following problems occur: (with optional Dune rules, that are mandatory imo - they make the fun!)

1) Guild (Hacan) is too strong due to...

a) possible spice-transfer (bribes)
b) "slowed-down-game-flow": landing in occupied strongholds very expensive -> leads to even richer Hacan
c) revival costs too low, too much tokens can be revived
d) Hacan is to move "whenever he wants" (optional advantage Guild)
e) only half of time must be survived until end-winning-condition
2) Fremen (Sol) are too weak
a) due to "first move, then ship"-rule, they can no longer enter the cities from reserves in one round. Same to some spice territories
b) their movement advantage is relativly smaller then that of the other factions (when not having one of the cities). They double their movement rate, Fremen only increases with 1,5 times.
c) they have no longer "starred tokens" (Fedaykin)

It is bad, that exactly the faction, that was considered weakest now is even weaker.
On the other hand, the faction that wins in the end anyway is stronger.

I tried several balances now:

It is a good idea to drop the worthless cards:
a) speeds up the game, as you no longer have to use your movement/shipment to get rid of them. -> Guild Hacan has to be more careful and intervenous
b) increased spice-income of the Emperor (Lazax, who is the usual counter player to the Guild/Hacan), as every card is useful -> more spice/influence is spent on them
c) Fremen/Sol get "good" cards, when they finally manage, to get some.

To increase the number of cards to "normal stack-size" again, I added a Karama, a truth-trance, a thumper, a harvester, a cheap hero. Also another hajr (Rex has 2) or Ghola (Rex has even 3) could be thought of... but were "out of print".

Increase revival costs to 3 spice/unit:
a) decreases the change for Guild/Hacan and their ally, to revive "endlessly" all troops, having always +10 troops to kill each turn - other factions have to revive AND ship -> Hacan would win. (in my first tryout, Hacan and Letnev made it: 10 troops for 14 spice each turn, anyone else landing 10 troops: 10 spice to Hacan... almost impossible to win against that... within 8 rounds!
b) those who revive only one token for free (Hacan/Lazax) have to pay more, Fremen/Sol almost doesn't realize the difference.
c) Spice/influence is not inflating at the end of game, but remains a precious ressource, you have to manage well.

Leaders can only be revived, when 4 other leaders have died after them: not needingly a balancing rule, but one of my taste
to make leaders more important and not revivable right after their death (would be easy for Hacan again, why to play the "2" or "3", when you can play the "5" every turn (or the "1", when no defence at hand)?? The leader that dies first, is put into the revival area, the second is put on top of him (independent of which race). As soon as a leader has 4 leaders "above" him, he can be revived. if Rex-leaders are to fiddly, they can also be laid in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.