Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the solo game 5 or 6 times, and I haven't even come close to winning. I think the best I ever got was the high 30's, with the ghost ship in the low 40's. It seems like the ghost ship always plays the worst possible card for me every time.

Is the solo game almost totally luck based, and just having the right cards come out at the right time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why do you lose? do you lose because the ghost ship crosses the finish line first? Or because you run out of turns?

I would think in the solo game there would be more opportunity for card counting and probability analysis that would help mitigate losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
why do you lose? do you lose because the ghost ship crosses the finish line first? Or because you run out of turns?

I would think in the solo game there would be more opportunity for card counting and probability analysis that would help mitigate losses.

Always run out of turns. In at least half of the games we don't even make it near the derelict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We? I thought you were playing solo?

I have not played solo, just read the rules, hmmm, 4 rounds seems pretty tight, and having no emergency stop seems pretty rough.

You at least see one card in each pile, so you know one card played by your opponent. Otherwise you will need to use probability to guess what your opponent will play, and whether they go before you or not. If you play a card from the (A-M) range, it is more probable you will go first, where as if you play a card from the (N-Z) range you will probably go second. Use that to your advantage to sling your opponent past you, so that you can then sling past them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By we I meant my ship and the ghost ship.

And i do do probablity when I can but it still doesn't seem to work very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is possible to win solo - you have to know what cards have come out and work out the probabilities. You're correct that there is some major luck going on as well, but since there are 6 cards for yourself and the AI, going into round 3 you should generally know the 2 cards that were left over, and the card that was flipped - which gives you an advantage into rounds 3 and 6.

Also, the timing in which smaller cards played is a major factor - for example A,B,C all are low values and act almost like an emergency stop. The gravitational pull card timing needs to be played effectively as well.

Out of the 15 games that I've played this solo, I've only won twice. I've finished through the warpgate immediately after the AI (same turn) 4 other times. The balance are losses due to not getting to the gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
Yes it is possible to win solo - you have to know what cards have come out and work out the probabilities. You're correct that there is some major luck going on as well, but since there are 6 cards for yourself and the AI, going into round 3 you should generally know the 2 cards that were left over, and the card that was flipped - which gives you an advantage into rounds 3 and 6.

There are only four rounds in the solo game. I think you're losing more than you think you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
...going into round 3 you should generally know the 2 cards that were left over, and the card that was flipped - which gives you an advantage into rounds 3 and 6.

I don't understand this comment.

I assume you are not talking about the 4 game rounds here, but instead the card play.

There are always 12 cards you know absolutely nothing about. How are you expected to "know" the 2 cards that are left in the ghost ship's stack (other than the one known before you picked the stack) after three cards are played?

And nevermind the fact that you were playing nearly blind for those first three cards and so are extremely limited in what cards you still have available by that point, no matter how much you have vague knowledge about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.