United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a well-timed Mind Control steal a High Hellion today at a critical juncture -- four amazing turns of upheaval! A few questions came up, though.

1. In terms of Squad Markers, do I simply use the opponent's squad marker as though it is my own (thus allowing me to have a Necro squad, five squads, and a Mind Controlled squad, as well as reducing my opponent's available squads by one for the duration?) Or do I take the creature and put him onto one of my empty squad cards at its present location?

2. I read elsewhere in the rule forums that a creature who is temporarily under your control cannot be released and turned into a Wandering Monster. If I bring the controlled creature adjacent to my Necromancer, can I sacrifice it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter, thank for the questions.

1. In terms of Squad Markers, do I simply use the opponent's squad marker as though it is my own (thus allowing me to have a Necro squad, five squads, and a Mind Controlled squad, as well as reducing my opponent's available squads by one for the duration?) Or do I take the creature and put him onto one of my empty squad cards at its present location?

A necromancer can only control his own cards. So the card has to be transferred to his out Control Cards. The 6 Control Cards represent the capacity it can control things. If all control cards are filled the Mind Control couldn't work, as it is using all the power of control it is able to wield.

2. I read elsewhere in the rule forums that a creature who is temporarily under your control cannot be released and turned into a Wandering Monster. If I bring the controlled creature adjacent to my Necromancer, can I sacrifice it?

You can sacrifice if using Sacrifice as its action.

EDIT: I didn't grasp the full context of your question. You could "abandon" this creature to open up the Control Card space. But after the D4 turns it would return to it's owner under it's control again.

Sacrifice is brutal, but it is also an action. if the Necromancer chooses to do this that would be his choice, and clever way to murder the creature and earn income. You could exploit these mind control abilities for said effect but again everything needs to be adjacent to the Necromancer for Sacrifice to occur and it is the only action the Necromancer can take this turn.

Abandoning is a choice you could do because you need space or even to be mean, but the decisions of the mind controlling Necromancer ALWAYS wear off after D4 turns. So if abandoned the grasp returns to original Necromancer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Sounds like we did everything right. I must say, it was very satisfying to have a Mind Controlled creature kill most of his friends, then willingly kneel before my necromancer on the last turn of control to submit to the sacrificial knife. Use 'em and abuse 'em, that's the Evil Wizard way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! So . . . after abandoning the Mind Controlled squad, do they permanently remain wandering monsters . . . or do they become the opponent player's squad again when the effects of the Mind Control wear off?

Never thought about using a turn to sacrifice them when adjacent to the Necromancer, though! This gives me ideas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry Jeff. I didn't understand the full context of his question. I edited it a little.

EDIT: I didn't grasp the full context of your question. You could "abandon" this creature to open up the Control Card space. But after the D4 turns it would return to it's owner under it's control again.

Sacrifice is brutal, but it is also an action. if the Necromancer chooses to do this that would be his choice, and clever way to murder the creature and earn income. You could exploit these mind control abilities for said effect but again everything needs to be adjacent to the Necromancer for Sacrifice to occur and it is the only action the Necromancer can take this turn.

Abandoning is a choice you could do because you need space or even to be mean, but the decisions of the mind controlling Necromancer ALWAYS wear off after D4 turns. So if abandoned the grasp returns to original Necromancer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent clarification! Thanks, man.

Mounted board has been put into use in our last two games, by the way. Really great! Thanks for making those!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.