Subject: Help me satisfy a fickle gamer! (Likes Theme, Manipulation) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, we have in our game group a guy who has a nice big basement and likes to host games, but has some pretty definite ideas of what's fun and what's not fut.

He doesn't like Euros like Settlers, Princes of Florence, E&T, Goa, PR, etc.
Never found an Alan Moon game he liked.
Didn't enjoy Twilight Imperium 3rd Ed. due to the staggering amount of choices.
Doesn't care for secret objectives, and didn't much care for Nexus Ops.
Doesn't like "dungeon crawly" games, preferring more strategic level adventure games.

He loves Tales of the Arabian Nights, and has a well-loved and battered copy which we play fairly often.

But while he loves a game like Fury of Dracula and would play it again, he did NOT like Arkham Horror, but said that "Mall of Horror" sounded like right up his alley. Heavy theme, lots of mindgames and negotiation and diplomacy.

He also LOVES Memoir '44, and expansions, and a WWII miniatures game called Crossfire, which he has lots of terrain and figures for and which we play often and I really enjoy that also.

He loves Condottiere, and Knizia's Samurai. He also loves War of the ring, Battlecry, Wilderness War and most card-driven games.

He loves games with heavy theme, well integrated into the game as opposed to pasted on.

Basically he says if a game has a few discernable routes to victory as opposed to a huge variety of victory paths, and has opportunities for diplomacy, manipulation, head games and such, along with some luck which you can mitigate through clever play, that's fun.

He likes story, but dislikes clunky, fiddly mechanics. He likes RPGs, but hates the d20 system, preferring very fluid, story-oriented conflict resolution mechanics like the Everway system (Wizards of the Coast) or the WuShu rules.

GAME RECOMMENDATIONS:

My best guess for new games to play include Heroscape, Mall of Horror, Twilight Struggle, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Funny Friends, World of Warcraft.

Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest hitting him in the head with a big cartoony mallet until he stops being flaky and gets some consistency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Help me satisfy a fickle gamer! (Likes Theme, Manipulati
Mall of Horror jumped to mind before you even mentioned it. My game group unanimously enjoyed MoH with a few of them really loving it. It has a great theme that is well-integrated with the voting mechanic.

(But you should probably take my recommendation with a grain of salt as I am very new to the hobby and have little experience with other games. Although Mall of Horror seems to fit his tastes, there may be better candidates that I'm not aware of.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, in the event you ignore my mallet suggestion, I think Mall of Horror would work great here.

Based on this:

Quote:
Basically he says if a game has a few discernable routes to victory as opposed to a huge variety of victory paths, and has opportunities for diplomacy, manipulation, head games and such, along with some luck which you can mitigate through clever play, that's fun.

it fits the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Game of Thrones.

It is a fantasy wargame/avalon hill diplomacy hybrid.

Theme is good, especially if you are into the books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows Over Camelot might be a match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your friend seems to not really know what he likes.

I agree with the suggestion of Game of Thrones, though. Tons of negotiation in that one, and quite a bit of theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double D
United States
Morgans Point Resort
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I second Funny Friends.
I also suggest Diplomacy, althought it is Very long.

I have not played, but am looking at getting is Junta which might work. Someone who has played will have to tell you.

Power Grid is both a game of resource manipulation and player manipulation. Some people don't like the player manipulation and might try to say it doesn't exist, but for anyone looking for these oportunities will find them. FYI, I find myself suggesting Power Grid to just about everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since he likes Battle Cry and Memoir '44, I would suggest Command & Colors: Ancients, Clash for a Continent and For Honor and Glory.

Since he enjoys miniatures and fantasy, you might look at Battleground: Fantasy Warfare. While it doesn't use miniatures, it does use pictures of the units (top down) on card sized bases. Because of this, each army is really cheap. The rules are miniature rules, and you could replace the cards with based figures if you wanted to do so. Currently available: Humans, Elves, Undead and Chaos. Dwarves to be released any day now. Buy the basic and expansion decks for any army you want to play (one each).

For WWII miniatures, Flames of War (FOW) is huge right now, if he might want to try something different than Crossfire. FOW has just come out with a second edition set of rules, so this would be a good time to try it. I've played FOW and I'm about to get into Crossfire, so I don't think the two games are too similar.

I would also suggest Chariot Lords. It requires four players and can run 8 hours for the first game, but it significantly improves on the old game Ancient Empires, which was a good game in its own right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Traders of Genoa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the suggestions.

He didn't like Traders of Genoa, despite the negotiation, due to it's fiddly similarity to PoF.

I think Mall of Horror, Saboteur, I'm the Boss, Dragon's Gold, Lost Valley, Funny Friends and Heroscape are probably some of my next things to try out on him.

I also have to let him try Gunslinger and Return of the Heroes, and possibly Struggle of Empires.

Thanks so much, and any further suggestions are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
if a game has a few discernable routes to victory as opposed to a huge variety of victory paths, and has opportunities for diplomacy, manipulation, head games and such, along with some luck which you can mitigate through clever play, that's fun.

If you find a copy, "Dune" fits this bill. Must play with 6, though, for the "full story experience". Being an SF fan helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.