Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say it costs 2 to move into a Forest, and 3 to move into a Mountain. At Origins I was taught that you can move from a Forest space to another Forest space for 1 movement, and same for Mountain to Mountain. Is this true?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Parker
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how it was explained to me by Sean at Genghis Con. The key phrase being "move into." Once in, movement was taken at a normal rate. Unfortunately, I don't have the game, so can't look at the rules myself. Though, Sean has been actively replying to questions here, so you might expect him to answer you directly. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no rules as written. But the intent may be different. If so, it should state, "crossing into terrain x from terrain not x costs 2/3" or words to such effect. As written, "move into" literally means every time you enter such terrain.

My 2 ¢, but I anxiously await Sean's reply here as it sounds as if the intent were different.

Edit to add: After further reading, this could easily go either way, as it is written, "moving into a forest" and "moving onto a mountain" which could easily mean an entire forest or mountain defined as touching contiguous spaces. Although, if this is the case, I'd say moving off a mountain would be just as treacherous.

Our first reading (and how our group has been playing it), we assumed forest and mountain meant forest space and mountain space. IMO, it makes more sense to charge it for every space, as forests tend to get denser further in, otherwise they are just a ring of trees, and mountains don't just go up at their edge and stop their incline like plateaus. Moving through them is strenuous.

It'll be very interesting to see what Sean and/or Ole says here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ole's intent was that it cost 2 to enter a forest and 3 to move onto a mountain space, then 1 to continue in that forest or mountain range.

I could see how that might not have come across in the rules. Thanks for asking the question.

Looks like we will need to bundle up these awesome posts for an FAQ!

Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which jives just fine with the rule as written, but an example in rev. 2 would be a really good idea. Especially a pictorial one,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Neikirk
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, I guess we've played it wrong. That question came up the first game we played, and after consulting the rules, I understood it as saying that you needed 2/3 per forest/mountain space. This made a lot of thematic sense to me, as each space is difficult terrain which needed a higher cost to move through it. Having played the game a couple of times, I can't say that I've seen it affect gameplay. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smartyjosh wrote:
Oh wow, I guess we've played it wrong. That question came up the first game we played, and after consulting the rules, I understood it as saying that you needed 2/3 per forest/mountain space... Oh well.

Same here.

I think I am going to stick with my incorrect reading, as it makes sense to me that forest and mountains are (continually) harder to move through.

Plus, a Mountain Man character could be made that eased movement restrictions as part of their bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
Mont Van wrote:
Smartyjosh wrote:
Oh wow, I guess we've played it wrong. That question came up the first game we played, and after consulting the rules, I understood it as saying that you needed 2/3 per forest/mountain space... Oh well.

Same here.

I think I am going to stick with my incorrect reading, as it makes sense to me that forest and mountains are (continually) harder to move through.

Plus, a Mountain Man character could be made that eased movement restrictions as part of their bonus.

Agreed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think having mountain to mountain travel require 3 movement points (and 2 MP for forest to forest) would result in too many turns where the player can't reach anything useful. Even using the correct rules, we had several player turns where they couldn't reach a challenge token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
I think having mountain to mountain travel require 3 movement points (and 2 MP for forest to forest) would result in too many turns where the player can't reach anything useful. Even using the correct rules, we had several player turns where they couldn't reach a challenge token.

True.

But on the flip side, it's pretty darned neat being Wanted and heading for those hills in the hopes of escaping revenge-seeking Lawmen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:

Now that I've tested this more I think you might be right. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would '2' to continue through the mountains hinder things too much?

I am purely thinking of a future Mountain Man character here. It seems so logical to have a movement bonus for such a character through that rough terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played both ways and I think the full cost/space worked better and it put a premium on things that added to movement (like Saddles and horses, both of which no one prioritized when using the faster movement rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any other rulings or clarifications on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paxton73 wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

Now that I've tested this more I think you might be right. :blush:

Can't you run through the other types of terrains to get to the mountains or forest? What exactly did you find when testing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Even using the correct rules, we had several player turns where they couldn't reach a challenge token.

I don't see a problem with this. It just means that the board state and your position on it are important factors to watch and plan for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
After several playthroughs we like the original rules the best but we do have a house rule: If you can't reach or do anything on your turn you can set up camp and pull one bullet for free from your bag to try to remove a wound. Seeing a Doctor is still much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am going with the incorrect interpretation. I like the camping idea. Either heal or try to heal or get a good night's rest and gain a spur to move faster on your next turn. Similar but not quite as good as the camping card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.