Popular Tags: [View All]
cabel dawson
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
two questions as indicated by the title
1) what is a herd? someone was able to get all the cattle into a ring around the start and we were unsure as to if it counted or not since the term herd is not defined anywhere

2) how the devil are you supposed to fight a group desperados? the ways we see it could be:
--a) flip first one, pull bullets to fights (up to 3), if defeated leave bullets out of bag and fight next bad guy, repeat until all are defeated, you are defeated or you are out of bulltes

--b) same as "a" but you but the bullets back into the back after each fight

--c) you only have a single pull from the bag to defeat all the desperados?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Parker
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules, but for what it is worth:
1) At Genghis Con Sean demonstrated a herd as all the cattle being adjacent to one another. Hopefully, he will jump in here and clarify for you.

2) There is a thread that addresses this question here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1189248/desperado-gang-fight...

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weier
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the rules define the herd as all cattle who are adjacent to at least two other cattle (in a single grouping, if there are two groups of three, only one of them can count as the herd), so I think a ring would qualify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if you'd still get the fame if you have all the cattle as one herd but not all are touching two other cattle? thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paxton73 wrote:
I wonder if you'd still get the fame if you have all the cattle as one herd but not all are touching two other cattle? thoughts?

The rules are specific on this one. It requires all of them to be touching two others.

Rulebook Page 8, Cattle section, second paragraph, second to last sentence wrote:
If you succeed in having all the Cattle ending up with at least two Cattle neighbors, you also get the Fame point(s) reward shown at the lower left of the Challenge Token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on points only if a herd.

Confirmed that a herd is each cow touching at least 2 others.

You wouldn't want it easy, right? lol

Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to clarify how to award money and Fame at the end of the Cattle challenge:
1. You succeed at the challenge if all cattle are still on the board after completing the required rounds of movement.
2. If you have more than one group of cattle, you must choose one group to score.
3. You earn $5 for each cattle in the chosen group that touches at least two other cattle.
4. If all six cattle are in one group, and all six cattle are touching at least two other cattle, then you score the Fame points. (Apparently, this arrangement of cattle is called a "herd")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You succeed if all cattle are in one herd and all touching 2 other cows. This can be done in less than the required number of rounds.
2) Correct, and you would not get the fame.
3) correct
4) correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onekccs wrote:
1) You succeed if all cattle are in one herd and all touching 2 other cows. This can be done in less than the required number of rounds.
2) Correct, and you would not get the fame.
3) correct
4) correct

Sorry, I should have been more specific for 1). The rulebook says you "succeed" at the challenge if you survive all of the rounds without driving any cattle off the board. I think this definition of "success" means you resolve and remove the challenge token from the board, regardless of how much money/Fame you earned.

For example, at the end of the challenge all six cattle could be standing alone, or touching at most one other cattle. Even though this results in no money or Fame, the challenge is still considered successfully handled, and the challenge token is removed from the board.

If you fail the challenge (a cattle moves off the board), you don't get any money or Fame, and you leave the challenge token on the board, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. You fail if one goes off the board. You can succeed with a small herd, and get no fame, or get the full herd, ($30) and the VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which makes it hilarious when the bandit gets the full herd on his first attempt at it with just 2 dice and the cowboy fails it 3 times in a row and the bandit swoops in and rustles those cows right out from under him, lol. Priceless moment in the game watching my two good friends interact with this challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is definitely one for the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joe,

You know, your comment makes me think we should do an official FAQ and post it up here on the Geek and on our site.

Anyone out there (Matt maybe?) feel like helping me rustle up all the best FAQ's from the forums in a WORD doc so I can drop them on a nice PDF?

What do you folks think? Compile them into a nice PDF, or leave them on the page as is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote PDF!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm compiling a FAQ. Give me a few days and I'll have it over to Sean for his review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, you are THE MAN!!

Thanks so much for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.