Subject: 24 hours to live. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Okay, so if I had 24 hours left to live (and I might, who knows?) and I knew I had 24 hours left, what Carcassone "master" game or expansion would you recommend? I have the blue box core version, with the river #1 expansion included.

I know I could just compare the ratings of all the products, but I think words mean more to me than numbers. Every expansion seems to have something I would like in it (pig meeples, a bag to draw tiles from, a DRAGON!) and stuff I'd rather not have. I'm pretty open to any expansion or other core game.

Please guide me true; share your wisdom.

Thanks,
Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The river, at least to me, is not worth playing. I only own two other expansions, but based on price, I'll probably buy the others.

I have Inns and Cathedrals, which is good one. Inns are added to the sides of roads and score 2 points per tile. They also score 0 at the end if you don't close them. Cathedrals are four sided city tiles and score 4 points per city tile, and 0 per tile if the city isn't closed.

Traders & Builders is the other expansion I own, and I won't play the original without it now. The city tiles that come with it have one of three resource logos on them (grain, barrels, or cloth). When you close a city, you get a tokens equal to the number of logos in the city. So if you close a city with a grain and a barrel, you get a grain and barrel token. You get these even if you close your opponent's city. So you have to watch for that. At the end of the game, the player gets 10 points for each resource that they have the more of than their opponent. I think second place gets 5 points, but not sure. There are also builder and pig meeples. When you place a builder token on a road or city that you have a meeple in, every time you add to that road/city, you get to place an additional tile. The pig you place in your farm territory, and I believe he adds 1 point per city in the farm. I totally recommend this one.

Now, if I had to choose between any Carc. games, I am one of those who would play Hunters and Gatherers. To me, this is a much better balanced games, as it gets rid of the farming, and there is no run away scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing Carc with your last 24 hours, then you need to rethink your life right now, before that last 24 hours arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caffinedrenchedfrog thegreat
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Nate,

I guess it all depends what kind of mood I'm in.

If I was majorly pissed off, I'd go for the princess and the dragon expansion. The dragon, being a meeple-vor, would allow me to express my rage through the destruction of my opponent's meeple people. The meeples do, however, resurrect themselves from the dead, so it isn't as satisfying as it could be. To make the game even meaner and, therefore, more enojoyable, I think that meeples that are eaten by the dragon should be dead and not allowed to resurrect themselves.

If I was in a more positive mood, I'd probably go for Carcassonne: The City. Being able to place guards on the city walls would enable me to see my death in a positive light, for, as a guard, I would be looking over and protecting my fellow meeple people, from a higher level -in heaven. Similar to the idea that meeples that the dragon eats should be ommitted from the rest of the game, I think that meeples that fall from their walls should be excluded as well. First of all, they failed to do their job and, second, they committed "meeple-cide".

If I was feeling materialistic, it would be all about the barrels and wheat and cloth found in Traders and Builders.

If I was feeling religious, I'd have to go for inns and cathedrals.

Jp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you are playing Carc with your last 24 hours, then you need to rethink your life right now, before that last 24 hours arrive.

Is there somewhere you can sign up to get a 24-hour warning ?

I'd be interested if there was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only have 24 hours to live, go watch Solaris 12 times. The 24 hours will feel like weeks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're dying and money is of no concern get them all!

I find they all add something and you can actually play so that all of the expansions work with each other (because of the expandability and variety, I would recommend the original Carc; but I like all of htem for different reasons).

But if you are somehow cured of this horrific disease, then I would consider Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders. As mentioned above IC is almost essential (I learned about Carc through Ark first so the oasis/Inn made a lot of sense to me and seemed to be missing when I first played Carc w/o any expansions). The double or nothing aspect is also neat allowing some further strategizing - or screwing of your opponent in the late game.

The pig from TB adds a little - though it would probably be best to move over to 3rd edition scoring rules. Though we were trying to be loyal to 1st edition, it was just to cumbersome with the increase in expansions. The goods give you something else to shoot for (only 1st place scores 10 pts for a majority or tie in each of the 3 categories). I think it is a nice option for those that can't quite grasp fields or how to work them to have something more tangible to pursue. I could do with out them but they are OK. What makes this a gem is the builder though. Being able to play a 2nd tile when you increase a structure with the builder in it gives you more options and speeds up the game a bit in my opinion.

What is nice about all the game sis you can play what you like out of each of the expansion. Just want the pig, use it and ditc the builder. Only want to play with the dragon and no princess, that works too. Aldaron did a good job of compiling all the rules and color coding them so you can use as many or as few of the aspects as you want. Regardless, the tile alone seem to be worth it because they allow for bigger and longer games and they help fill in some of the voids to better complete the things you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've only got 24 hours to live, and you just have to play Carcassonne...then you might as well play all of them together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo Drew's comments exactly.

I play with the exact same mix and it's a nice combination. At some point I'll throw in River 2 and The Count, and Princess & Dragon will be purchased sooner or later.

As I'm an aggressive / sabboteur player by nature I really like The Kathars and would recommend getting a copy if you're a real Carc fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I think The City is the be-all and end-all of Carcassonne. I don't even own the "Blue Box" edition+expansions anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I enjoy games, if I had 24 hours left to live it's unlikely I'd play any!

Although having said that, I could emotionally force friends to come and play Die Macher with me - a dying man's wishes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Vaca
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
If you only have 24 hours to live, go watch Solaris 12 times. The 24 hours will feel like weeks!

No it wouldn't. It would fly by because you would pass out after the first 20 minutes! snore (...but if one could stay awake though it I'd agree with you )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Well, I lived past the 24 hours. I died, but I got better. Like in a comic book or soap opera.

I picked up the Count. I think the expansion with the Pigs will be next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.