Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Need some advice from the crowd here:

I am earnestly thinking to sell my whole ASL collection - all the modules, journals, scenario packs, HASL, DASL and third party products. Most of the stuff is mint / near mint / excellent and unpunched (using the "Noble Knight Games" - rating system here).

But looking at the whole stuff I wonder how to sell it. Preferably it would be "all at once" since I did not want to spent hours / days on ebay.

1) Does this make sense or do you think one would not pay such a huge amount of money for the whole thing?

2) Shipping: Would offering this thing internationally would make sense since I assume I would need a wooden box to ship it complete (which should bring up some hefty shipping costs? I doubt that splitting it in smaller packages would make much sense since shipping / insurance would add up to the same amount of money.

3) Would you use BGG / Consimworld or is there a more specific platform for such a collection?

4) Would it make more sense to sell it to a company like Noble Knight / Troll and Toad or whoever sells (used) wargames?

Since this is much more than "just selling "A" game" I would appreciate if someone help me with a bit of "brainstorming" the project. Or maybe you have done it before and tell me about your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my experiences... it can be more profitable, though more work, to sell individual items, or small groups of items. If you put up a large number of items, with a high price tag, people are more likely to balk at it, because all they're looking at is the number. That and if someone has a couple of the items already, they may be less likely to shell out more for some duplicates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
1) Does this make sense or do you think one would not pay such a huge amount of money for the whole thing?
There could be players ready to buy the whole thing.
If your aim is not to "make money" (or even "milk the cow"), but to recover your investment, the "all in one" solution is not a bad one.
Alphawolf wrote:
2) Shipping: Would offering this thing internationally would make sense since I assume I would need a wooden box to ship it complete (which should bring up some hefty shipping costs? I doubt that splitting it in smaller packages would make much sense since shipping / insurance would add up to the same amount of money.
Calculate the shipping cost and inform the potential buyers of its amount.
Adding the International shipping possibility is an advantage.
Alphawolf wrote:
3) Would you use BGG / Consimworld or is there a more specific platform for such a collection?
Gamesquad's ASL forum (http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?30-Advanced-Squ...) is the largest in the world.
Be prepared to have posters suggest (sometimes strongly) not to sell your gear, though.
But GS is definitely a nice place to post your offer.
The French FFL-ASL forum can be a nice (European) place to post in (http://forum.cote1664.net/?action=unread)
Alphawolf wrote:
4) Would it make more sense to sell it to a company like Noble Knight / Troll and Toad or whoever sells (used) wargames?
Contact them an see how much they offer.
I see that you are in Germany : perhaps a German retailer will make a more interesting offer (as shipping costs will be sensibly lower).
Of course, a retailer will want some benefit out of the deal which could make his offer less interesting than a peer-to-peer sale.

Hope that helped your reflexions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with whole sales to others then a professional trader is that experienced players usually have already some of the stuff at home. Nobody other then a dedicated game hoarder really needs a second rule book, a third BV or any 1st ed. Last Hurrah at all... I could resale the doubles myself but usually the stuff comes in one big (unsorted) pile.

So how much are we talking about? Right now on ebay Germany is a very nice package offered at 500+ Euro (btw is it you whistle?) But as a new player even if I would have tried some SKs first (maybe even only as a single player) that is way to much for a game that I still do not really know what I will get.

Although if you can find someone who will pay several hundreds then he usually does not care for another 100 for shipping...

I for myself would sell it separated on ebay. In the last 3 month or so there was a guy on ebey who sold a huge set one by one, only 5 or 6 offers set up on each sunday evenings. It took him some time but he got very good prices for all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Knauth
Germany
Erdmannhausen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Wolfgang,

a difficult question, depends on which items you can offer, and how much do you expect/want/dream to get for them.

I'd recommend to have an intensive look at the Marketplace in the ASL Gamesquad Forum: http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?395-ASL-Marketp...

Some big collections were offered there recently, and many single items.
You can see, which modules are mainly sought for and which not, and you'll get an idea about the prices. But keep in mind, that you'll ship from Germany.

For a whole collection you probably will get much less than you think ...

So, why not play the game? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warbear wrote:

So, why not play the game? whistle

It's simply a question of time / approachability.

I get older, was very sick for quite some time and are still recovering and evaluating my time / possibilities.

1) My son is too young for this game and goes more in the Ameritrash - direction (not meant negative here).

2) I have so many wargames and might have thought about selling OCS than ASL or some other system. It is also a question of mental capacity.

3) Compare it with other games - while it takes time to master a system like OCS / Europa / EFS I have only 45 pages of rules before me. I can master this.

But take just the first box "Beyond Valor" - I need so many rules to at least be more than a small hiccup for an avid ASL - player - not to even think about starting this system with someone completly new too.

And VASL is no option for me - I have enough computer at work, don't need another one every night.

And even if I wanted too I can imagine the responses to:

"Complete ASL - noob, no rules - knowledge beside reading thru the book once looks for online - gaming..."

ASL is a great system - but taken seriously it needs to be "The ONE".

ASL - Starter Kits are great - I liked to play them but I got the advice that I should stay away from them if I wanted to go into ASL since I had to unlearn a lot of the stuff.

I'm not sure how much I should ask about - would be glad if a young man, wanting to go into this system, offers me a good (whatever this means) price and takes the whole stuff and plays it.

I'm well aware that I might not get my investment back (just looking at the prices here at the Geek).

But right now it just stands in the shelf and it won't get any better standing there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Wolfgang,

To a degree, the answer to your question depends on how much you value your own time.

Selling off your collection individually, item by item, will almost certainly maximise the amount of income you receive. However, that probably involves listing and managing individual ebay auctions and then packaging and posting individual items. For a large collection, that could take a lot of time.

A single auction for your entire collection would take a lot less of your time and effort.

Whichever option you choose - good luck and happy gaming with your son!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Periplaneta wrote:

So how much are we talking about? Right now on ebay Germany is a very nice package offered at 500+ Euro (btw is it you whistle?)

Nope, mine is about 2.5 times the size - which IS the problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, I am out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way is item by item if you want full value. I suspect that complete sets are usually purchased by speculators who buy it to sell one by one and turn a profit.

Believe me, there are hundreds of people out there in the EBAY universe who know what's rare and valuable and will work hard to buy/sell for profit - Furbie, Cabbage Patch Doll or ASL - they don't care. It's a very common "kitchen table business" on this side of the pond. The bottom line is that they are looking for value and will offer you pennies on the dollar.

Another possibility:

In the U.S. we have "authorized EBAY resellers". These are people who do nothing but EBAY all day long. They work on commission - a percentage of the total take. Perhaps you have these folks in Germany?

If not, consider finding an enterprising person (student?, child of a friend?) who is already an experienced EBAY user. Then, offer to pay them a commission. Once they look at the value of Bloody Reef Tarawa and/or any of the other OOP modules, they'll get Dollar signs in their eyes and go to work. If you did it this way, I'd break it up into 4 or 5 lots and only give them one lot at a time... making sure to hold back some of the high-dollar stuff until last. It will keep them motivated to work through each item and not just sell the crème and hand the rest back to you (most people being busy and human nature being what it is...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Parting it out is likely your best bet.

Speaking as a potential customer here, I played SL 'back in the day' and keep getting tempted to get back into it via ASL.

So while a 'full set' would be very tempting, there is also a very real fear on my part that I would start into the rules, think "what have I done..." and it sits on the shelf - not so bad with the rules and BV, a different story with a large, extensive collection.

However, if my lottery numbers come in, expect an email.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
ASL - Starter Kits are great - I liked to play them but I got the advice that I should stay away from them if I wanted to go into ASL since I had to unlearn a lot of the stuff.

Well there may be some slight changes to tactics because of concealment, bypass movement and various other things, those changes are no greater, in my opinion, than the difference in ASL between ETO and PTO, or between night and day, or even between city and open ground scenarios. So ASL itself has such a wide variety of tactics I don't think another mode of playing, i.e. Starter Kit, really 'spoils' you for the full game.

If you aren't going to play ASL any more, then this reason to avoid Starter Kit is moot anyway. But if you enjoy Starter Kit, maybe you'd be tempted back to ASL again...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Houben
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As many people here have advised, selling items individually would make you significantly more money, but also takes a lot more time. If you go that road, BGG works fine in my experience.

If you go for selling the whole collection in one go, ConsimWorld could be the place to be. I've seen similar collections get sold there in the past years. NobleKnight is an alternative too, if you can stand getting a relatively modest payment and then see the items listed for high prices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Talbot
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are not out for profit or need the money, How about just put it away in case you ever decide to go back to it...

Keith T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:

"Complete ASL - noob, no rules - knowledge beside reading thru the book once looks for online - gaming..."

I disagree.

I am sure that there are dozens and dozens of novice / beginner ASL players who would enjoy playing ASL with people as inexperienced as they are, even if they get all the rules wrong. What really counts is the enjoyment of playing tactical games.

BTW, I am not an ASL player. I am simply giving my opinion as an outsider.

I see this as the same difference as between being a solo classical violinist invited to play with an orchestra, versus playing occasionally the violin with family and friends on weekends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking the same thing, still haven't decided for sure. All my game pieces are lumped together into drawers which would be moved to zip-lock bags, but way too much time involved to break out each module. I have everything from the original set through Armies of Oblivion, all the Deluxe sets, and most of the HASL sets, as well as SASL and several journals. Collected all the scenarios I could find through The General and online. I just haven't had any of it out for several years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomaso827 wrote:
I've been thinking the same thing, still haven't decided for sure. All my game pieces are lumped together into drawers which would be moved to zip-lock bags, but way too much time involved to break out each module. I have everything from the original set through Armies of Oblivion, all the Deluxe sets, and most of the HASL sets, as well as SASL and several journals. Collected all the scenarios I could find through The General and online. I just haven't had any of it out for several years.

Yeah, this takes 2 weeks MINIMUM

You'd think it wouldn't but it just BURNS the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help, fellas.

Looks like I put the stuff on ebay in Oct / Nov when desperate wargamer - wifes are looking for some christmas stuff for their husbands

or some wargamers get their christmas bonus and don't know how to spend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stanley neo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
alternately, you can find someone willing to spend time looking for others to form a syndicate purchase from you as a whole set.

my own experience: we have a local player who wish to sell his set but since i already own several modules, and don't have the money to commit his whole set, i offered to find others to do a syndicated deal. took me some time but we managed to get the deal done. and the syndicate is international in nature i may add. win-win for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Knauth
Germany
Erdmannhausen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
[q="Warbear"]

ASL is a great system - but taken seriously it needs to be "The ONE".

Nothing of the above is true.

I invite you to visit me for one week (Mo-Fr).
During day 1 we'll play scenarios from ASL Starter Kit #1.
During days 2+3 we'll play scenarios from Starter Kits #2+3.
During days 4+5 we'll play scenarios from Full ASL (Beyond Valor etc.)

You have nothing to learn before, I will explain everything.
I guarantee that after this week
- you are able to play hundreds of the scenarios you already own (ASLSK and Full ASL)
- you've had a lot of fun during the week and you are not knocked out, for sure
- you won't like to sell your ASL stuff anymore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.