Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tentacled Horror revolver rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Yarhi
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
We revealed the haunt Tentacled Horror, Haunt 23, and we ran into a situation where the explorer tried attacking the creature's Head, but wanted to use the revolver (item) to attack from the connecting room, so that he wouldnt be attacked on the creature's turn by the head.

Question: the secrets of survival book states Right Now Set aside 3 triangular Might Roll tokens.

The revolver item states WEAPON An old, potent-looking weapon. you can use the Revolver to attack with Speed instead of Might.

The conflict occurs when trying to attack the creatures Head, as it has no Speed value. We just home-ruled that it used its Might value, but the real question is whether or not this attack is even legal, and if it is, what does the creatures Head defend with?

We decided it was all legal because (being card players first, board game players second) the cards supercede all rules, and as it states that Might may be interchanged with Speed, it is legal, the issue is the defense of the creatures Head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 8 of the rulebook says: You can't use a trait to attack an opponent who doesn't have that trait.

I'm not sure how the "you can" on the revolver has to be interpreted. Wether you are allowed to choose the trait or you always have to attack with speed when using the revolver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rule that you can't use the revolver against the head, as the head does not has a speed trait. Just like you can't use the ring against an opponent that doesn't have a sanity trait.

In any case you can oly win by making 3 might rolls, so speed rolls will not fulfill the requirements for winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lear Wolfe

Kentucky
msg tools
mb
I'd actually argue the other side here. It says you can use your speed trait to attack. It seems to me that it would be an optional ability so you would just attack with might instead.

If it just stated that you attack with speed instead of might then I would agree that you can't use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevyn Hey
United States
Alfred
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of the revolver (2nd ed) says "You can use the revolver to attack with speed instead of might." To me, that means if you use the revolver, you use speed. I agree that a monster without a speed trait can't take damage from the revolver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I take it, as by the word "can" that it is optional.
"You CAN use speed instead of might."
If you HAD to use speed, you would think the card would say "You attack with speed instead of might" or comething similar.
The way it is worded suggests to me that attacking with speed instead of might is optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.