Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after picking this up at Origins, we broke it out a couple of times and I am concerned we are playing something incorrectly.

A few of the cards state to "scrap a card from your hand". My wife insisted that this meant after playing all cards and getting their effects, then scrapping one of them.

Is this correct or does the card have to be scrapped before it even enters play? And if not, it begs the question, when you are forced to scrap something, would you get that card's scrapping bonus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://starrealms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/StarRealmsR...

You play a card "from your hand", inference is that if you play "from" you are playing "to" somewhere else, in this case the table top (defined as "in-play")
By that, I say that you cannot trash a card "from your hand" that is no longer in your hand because you played it.

The scrap benefit on a card comes from using that card's self-scrap ability. You can't get the benefit from using some other effect to scrap it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, makes sense.

I guess it follows then, if the card in question is the last one to be played, telling you to trash a card from your hand, but there are no cards in hand, how is it handled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you just don't get the bonus or action that card provides because you have to trash a card from your hand and you don't have one to trash... simple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kelly
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they all actually state 'you _may_ scrap a card from your hand or discard pile'. So, if you 'play' your last card and it has this characteristic your only option is to scrap one from the discard pile. After it has been 'played' (ie. abilities used) it is no longer 'in your hand'.

This is how the digital beta version of the game handles the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Volinsky
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone seems to have given the response you need.

Most of those cards say "may". If you don't have one left, or choose not too scrap, no worries.

The card that is scraped with the scrap ability from your hand does indicate the card has never hit the table. You will never play that card and get any abilities from it. Most people try to use their discard pile.

Scrapping is by far the best ability in this game in my opinion. We used to avoid Red bases because they don't say usually "may".

You are never required to use a base/outpost primary or secondary ability unless you want too. Now everyone I play with scrambles for the red cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.