Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Ahoy to you sailors!

While we are on this I had a idea that I'd like to share:

- SEASON CARDS: It strikes me that the game works over four buildings and I thought to create a timeline for this. So let's create a trigger.

I would say that when the game starts and then at each first, second, third building ( only once when they are first built) it triggers the season change.

What will happen in the season? At the beginning of the game each player will draw four cards and keep them for themselves. At the season change player will play a card face down. Cards will be shuffled and then ONE card will be drawn and the special effect applied to the season.
What special effects? Short list of some ideas follows:

- Good fishing/bad fishing (+1/-1 Fish resource for each time you collect fish)

- Mad cows (-1 cattle this season)

- Season festival (Good business! +1$ income once this season)

- Iceberg! (Difficult navigation, all income of the market is reduced by -1)

- Tsunami! (One building random for each player is damaged, due to repair, it may not be used THIS season)

And so on. What do you think of this?

EDIT: Version 1.5 is up, enjoy and leav feedback below if you will

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104970/seasons-game-addon-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Hsu
Argentina
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Timeline idea
As that is a good idea. I'd test it if something more detailed happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a cool idea. Very creative. Please let us know if you give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
already preparing the deck laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck finished and ready to roll as soon the validation is given.

EDIT: Vaidation given, please enjoy

[url]http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104840/seasons-game-addon-... [/url]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I like the idea; subscribed to keep up-to-date

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 1.5 is up, with new rules for taxes and timeline in the game.

I'm sorry, but I did delete the original post by error, if you were so kind to recomend me, could you do it again?

And please test the rules, feedback is very welcomed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Turvey
msg tools
mbmb
I have read through the variant, and it looks interesting. However I am personally not keen on the Tax Collector. Can Seasons be played without the Tax Collector, or would that break the variant?

It looks like it would work with just the Seasons, and if so, I will be keen to give it a trial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 1.0 was just the Seasons variant.

I added the tax collector because some people told me it looked too random and wanted something that could help them out of a negative season ( Like the "Bad fishing" card)

Of course you can ignore the Tax collector mechanic alltogether by not putting the cards in the deck if you like. You are the master of your harbour

That said allow me a question, why did you not like the Tax Collector? I'm hungry for any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Turvey
msg tools
mbmb
I will give you some feedback on Monday. Busy weekend here. Planning on playing the Seasons variant this weekend, so should have more information for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Turvey
msg tools
mbmb
Re: Tax collector
- The effect of the tax collector card is either penalising or null. I felt that this added a negative feel to the game, rather than enhancing the gaming experience.
- I also felt that adding both the tax collector and the season cards was adding/changing the game too much. I think they would play better as separate variants.
- Our gaming group generally chooses to play in a less-antagonstic manner, and the tax collector is counter to this style.

Seasons cards
We played according to your rules:
- We found that a negative season had too much impact on the game. (e.g.; We had bad fishing come out in summer, and it stuck around for ages. Fish were already hard to obtain, so this severely stalled the game and made it less enjoyable.)
- There was too much randomness in what seasons you had available to put into the pool, and which one came into effect.
- We found that generally the seasons were too long. We felt a greater turnover of cards would be better.

We then played a variant on your season rules:
- We made a single shuffled deck of the season cards
- We then turned over a season card EVERY time a building was built
- This reduced the prolonged negative effects of a negative season, but we felt the turn over was too high. It was difficult to take advantage of a positive season, and a negative season may only end up effecting one player.

Possible Variants we haven't tried:
1. Seasons rules remain the same as yours, except you deal more cards to each player (6?) to give them greater choice in what to play into the pool.

2. Seasons rules remain the same as yours, except you deal more cards to each player, AND when the season changes ALL the cards in the pool come into effect (instead of one random one). This would potentially balance out negative and positive season cards.

3. The season changes more frequently to reduce the effect of negative cards. Perhaps every player has two turns in each season, and then a new season card is selected.

I hope this helps. I really like the idea of having a card that temporarily effects game play for everyone - it adds some extra re-playability to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for testing this for me Claire. So let's see:

- Tax collector: I added this gamble for the reason I said before, as I said it is not mandatory to play with, but as you admit a bad season can really hinder your gameplay, so sneacking a little bit of goods is a blessing.

Anyway, not mandatory, let's move on.

- Seasons: It is true that my reasoning may be guided by the fact that I did just two player games, how many players did you have at your table?

I like suggestion number 1, more cards in the hand I will test this and come back at you. My only doubt is that if you put 6 cards in the hand of someone, seen that usually you get max 2 Tax Collector card, there will NEVER be a tax collector event in play.

Anyway, thank you for your time, if you try again, let me know :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Turvey
msg tools
mbmb
I first tested in a four player game, and then later with two.

We found that Spring didn't last long at all, but Summer seemed to last an eternity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sielty wrote:

We found that Spring didn't last long at all, but Summer seemed to last an eternity!

Lord, could this be true....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.