Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this has been asked before, but couldn't find it. Nor could I find a good one online.

Is there a program that will generate hex numbering for wargame maps, particularly one that will do it in a hi-res or scalable format?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
I presume that you mean "generated hex maps with hex numbers," since a list of hex numbers wouldn't be very useful...

Tom Russ has a PostScript map generator designed for Fighting Wings, Air Superiority, and Birds of Prey PBEM games. You just tweak the height and width you want (in hexes). There's a lot of unnecessary junk in it if you're not placing airplanes, giving them facings, etc., etc.

PostScript, of course, it directly understood by almost all higher-end printers. It's also the "food" for Acrobat Distiller to generate PDFs, and Adobe Illustrator's .ai format is actually a version of PS. Illustrator can import PS files and you can edit them that way.

http://www.grognard.com/board.html under "Fighting Wings." Tom has more recent versions on his personal site, but they mostly add things you dont' need (Dutch Air Force insignia...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to create a flight log for that game, not hex numbers/grids? Am I missing something? Maybe a link to his personal page would have it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
I presume that you mean "generated hex maps with hex numbers," since a list of hex numbers wouldn't be very useful...

Well, there are plenty that do hexes, just can't find any that do numbers. So I'd be happy either way (though it admittedly seems unlikely that someone will have made a number generator without making the hexes in the file as well)

Any ideas, folks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
West2 wrote:
This seems to create a flight log for that game, not hex numbers/grids? Am I missing something? Maybe a link to his personal page would have it?

Sorry, wrong link. Available here: http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sLvHRDfR3oGv4FptaAV7k4pPY5OD3Rg...
but you'll have to join the Yahoogroup to access it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Works and looks good, but incredibly complex to use. Anybody know of a simpler implementation whilst I try and figure this one out?
gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe ask this guy to add numbers:

http://www.incompetech.com/beta/hexagonalGraphPaper/hex.html

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I already did, but he didn't seem too thrilled with the idea... O well.
soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Just splitting the hex numbers in half means you can just make one row and one column of numbers, then duplicate like mad. Can't believe I didn't think of it before. I'm an idiot.
yuk

Took less than an hour.

Made a 100 hex square file, so will never have to do it again.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim K.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Consimworld, check out:

Hex Grid Generator
Compliments of CSW member, Joel Uckelman. Make your own hex grids and hex paper! mkhexgrid is a free, highly-configurable program which produces hex grids in PNG, SVG, and PostScript formats. The first released version, 0.1.0, was released on 6 August.

http://www.nomic.net/~uckelman/mkhexgrid/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.