Subject: Rules Summary? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the best summary of the game in document form? I see in the “files” section some good stuff, but I’m asking you folks with some substantial time into this game to tell me what single document you think is most helpful in summarizing movement and combat rules. I'm considering buying this (at the exorbitant prices offered in the market place) but want to make sure I get a grasp of it first. I'm having a hard time holding the slippery fish that is the rules of the game. THANK YOU!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually haven't played this a huge lot - but I guess that doesn't really disqualify me for this thread, as you're in a similar situation to me...

I must have looked at most of the files for this game. These are the player aids I found to be most helpful for understanding the rules and their implications:

Graphical Cheat Sheets for movement and combat
NT Annotated Rules
NT Attack Rules Annotated with Strategic and Tactical implications
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guido. The last one referenced is the best so far. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably asking the wrong people. I don't know if I have "substantial" time in the game but I reckon I've played it more than 99% of the people who have ever bought it.

I find the rules themselves are the best summary of the rules. I have a feeling that most people who have put a substantial amount of time into the game will have a pretty similar response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I'd probably say the annotated rules (linked above) are the way I learned the game. On the other hand, I certainly read them multiple times before actually playing the game and that helped a toooon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See, you don't want a rules summary. You want a rules expansion.

These rules ought to start with a statement by the designer. "Now listen closely, I'm only gonna say this once."

This game is my absolute favorite game of all time, but it's a bear to learn. The best way is to work through it with someone. The annotated rules help, and also just walking through the attack sequence so you understand how it works. After that, it's all about understanding why you would want to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Eicher,

Just looking at it makes me think I want this to be my all time favorite game. It’s sheer beauty in appearance. The rules are intriguing but bogging my 50 year old brain down a bit at present. But I’ve been here before (try working through the Age of Napoleon with all its niggly little exceptions). That too is a beautiful game. Even had a large custom map made for it. But I first put the game away for 4 years! Hated the rule book. This (NT’s rule book) is not as bad but the annotated rules posted in the file section here has me on the verge of buying the game. I’m starting a vassal game with someone who’s played a few times and is very smart. So, I’m looking forward to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GA Jim wrote:
Just looking at it makes me think I want this to be my all time favorite game. It’s sheer beauty in appearance. The rules are intriguing but bogging my 50 year old brain down a bit at present.

Jim, I'm just a tad younger than you. Allow me to shamelessly promote the video tutorials I created, there are 4 in total: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/26213/napoleons-triumph/video...

I realize it will be different for everyone but I have only read the rules. Having said that, anyone who have been here long enough would recollect how I've bombarded this forum with my rule questions. The single most useful resource for this game is right here. If you are not abusing it, you must be smarter than me! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.