Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Lovejoy
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey DOA II Fans,

So I love this game, but when I explain it to new players, I make it sound harder to learn than it actually is.

I don't know about you, but I'm just not sure where to start and end up jumping around since so much of the game is all connected.

Im talking about cards, then how to get them, then they ask about the symbols and then I move on to attacks and adventures. And because of this, it makes the game sound like a total mess or harder to learn than it is.

So I'm just wondering if any one had a way they explain the game, and how well it goes down?
Maybe an order, or just some ideas on how other people do it?

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I talk about broadly what is happening. Various characters running around getting gear and solving adventures. I point out a couple of archetypal characters and ask the players what they think those characters might be good at. Helps with the stats.

Give Spartacus a sword, etc and show how it works.
Turn over an adventure card and run through.

What works quite well is to reference The Hunger Games for my kids, and the Original Star Trek Episode with Abraham Lincoln and the Gorn Commander for my old school mates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lovejoy
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey G,

Yeah, I think the premise (Hunger Games or awesome Star Trek Reference) is really good and it does get people excited when I start to explain.

I just jump around on the details.

I think taking a character and giving him a weapons, and doing a few 'solo' turns would be good.

How do you explain how to win? You need to have a marker in each labyrinth for a point each and then the combat checks and Liths Lair too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice above, but don't neglect the power of the tutorial missions. I still use them to introduce new players to the game, but we only play these scenarios until the new players agree that they understand the basic concept of Melee, then Fire, then Adventuring (usually two or three turns into each scenario).

You don't even need to change the boards around between scenarios if you're not intending to play them to completion. Simply have a couple Ranged Weapon characters ready to introduce into the game a couple of moves into the first scenario, then add a Labyrinth and Team Bases into the mix and walk them through each example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lovejoy
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the tutorial missions. And I learned most of the game through Ricky Royals awesome tutorial on YouTube through one of the tutorial missions.

Great BoardGame YouTuber. Reccomend the MageKnight videos too!

Just I find people might lose interesting if i even mention.... 'lets do a few games to learn the main game'.

I guess a mixture of using characters to simulate turns as you run through a tutorial mission might be good. until they get the basics.

Going to try to explain it to 3 friends tonight for a 2 vs 2 match.
Hope I get the Cannon straight off the bat....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johan de rue
Belgium
Leuven
Leuven
flag msg tools
mb

In the 'variants' section in the thread "DOAII Beginner Scenario for People in a Hurry" I wrote a tutorial game to explain all rules and victory conditions gradually while playing.

(Note I never tried it because we are playing other games)
If you try this out, please let me know the results and if you have other ideas/comments you can add them to this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never used the tutorial scenarios, though people do talk highly of them.

It is VERY important to tell people how to score points, otherwise it can become a combat fest, especially with seasoned tactical gamers. Strangely enough, my non gamer mates are more likely to get the adventuring idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a common problem and I spent an evening writing my own teaching notes just because there is SO MUCH!!! What I and others have suggested is this:

Explain a few very basic points and then start paying the game and go over rules as you do your turns. Explain before you play:

1.) The Goal - what is the goal of the game! Explain where they can earn points but don't go into tremendous detail.

2.)Components - A very brief overview of the various components of the game.

3.) Skill Check - Stat vs. Stat!!!! Give each person the player aid. Tell the group that basically everything you do in this game is a Stat Vs. Stat check. Because really, that is all it is. I think people can wrap their brain around that easier. You don't need to tell them which stat does what when. You do that over the course of the game.

4.) Briefly explain the equipment cards. Types and how to read them, but again don't go into too much detail about the stats on the cards.

5.) OpFire - I read somewhere that this is an easy step to just complexly take out of the game for new players. It doesn't really change anything and its probably the most complex for players to grasp.

Important:

- Set up the game board ahead of time
- Choose simple characters that don't have difficult special abilities, preferably none. There are a few recommendations in the book I think.
- Make sure everything is already built before you start the game. Lets face it, they wont know what characters to pick or how to place the tiles anyways until they have played a game of it.
- Avoid Henchmen because it just adds more for players to do.
- Explain this is a learning game and do a "short" session.
- Its great if you have 2 experienced players because they can go on opposing teams and help the new players.

The rest, just play and teach as you go. The first few rounds will take longer but just explain it step by step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.