Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/DM-Rainbow-Dr...

Whoever drafts more 2 cost cards wins! (just kidding... sort of)

Copy/Paste from official email from WizKidz:

Quote:
Marvel Dice Masters Update!

Greetings WizKids Customers,

While it may be redundant, we again want to thank everyone for their patience and suggestions during what has been a hectic few months. We continue to hear that product that we hoped would get us caught up is only scratching the surface and while disappointing for many we hope this bodes well to the future success of the Dice Masters line.

We have the following updates on shipments planned for Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men: There are several shipments of reprints on their way to the US. The next wave of Starters will arrive at the end of June with another wave of Gravity Feeds arriving in late July. Despite our best efforts to fill demand with these reprints, the product is still pre-selling before it arrives. We were able to bring on a very sizable amount of capacity, which has enabled us to add a reprint to the schedule (available in September).

We are also keeping an eye on the longshoremen labor dispute on the U.S. West Coast, and will deal with that issue if and when it happens. Obviously, any sort of strike will ripple through most of our product lines so we’re monitoring the situation keenly.

Briefly on the factory/capacity situation: we believe we are, or will be soon, the largest dice manufacturer in the world. Fortunately, making dice and making small plastic figures is essentially the same process. As we get our arms around the demand, moving volume between factories is pretty straight-forward and it is one of the reasons we are able to add reprints while also printing the next set. We appreciate the patience as we grow the Dice Masters business.

Organized Play

While it’s difficult to discuss in-store play programs when there isn’t enough product, we want to reinforce that we are in this for the long term and as such we’re looking ahead to when supply issues will be behind us. To that end we’ve taken another deep dive into our sealed booster program and have worked hard to come up with what we feel to be a new exceptional experience. We call it the Rainbow Draft format and you can read more about it here. We believe this format showcases how Dice Masters is a unique and worthy in-store organized play experience. While the previous formats are all still valid, the Rainbow Draft will likely be preferred by most of your customers.

That’s it for now, again we hope to get ahead of demand and we thank everyone for their continued support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
flag msg tools
HORRIBLE.

What's the point of building teams and having synergy if it's going to get thrown away by this. Cash-hog that ruins the game. Hopefully comic stores will do a vote or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great. Can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
likkuid wrote:
HORRIBLE.

What's the point of building teams and having synergy if it's going to get thrown away by this. Cash-hog that ruins the game. Hopefully comic stores will do a vote or something.

eekamouse wrote:
Looks great. Can't wait.

Well that covers both ends of the spectrum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
likkuid wrote:
HORRIBLE.

It's just an option, not mandatory. it's like MTG, it's just a different format to change it up.

I definitely like it better than "semi-constructed", where you'll see the same 4 characters on every team. Having the dice separated is great, so you can get a feel for what's out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
likkuid wrote:
HORRIBLE.

eekamouse wrote:
Looks great. Can't wait.

Some people don't like drafting. I PREFER drafting over constructed.

Did I mention I prefer drafting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both constructed and drafting equally! Think they're both totally different and extremely fun for different reasons.

All opinions are covered now. Lock thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it sounds fun. Ill try it with my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is more of what i want in this game. The bring cards to a draft thing feels counter to what makes a draft a draft. I am excited about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope my store goes this route, it seems way more fun than a constructed tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Without the ability to bring a reliable counter this format will be broken by certain cards. A Gobby or a Tsarina will ruin a draft squad as they won't have the pieces to slow it down.

In a card game very powerful cards can be balanced in a draft by two things. First their rarity, you are unlikely to be able to draft multiple of a powerful rare or even uncommon. This is not the case here as one draft of an SR can gain you access to multiple dice for that SR with subsequent drafts. Second you have the fact that you need to draw the card. If you don't see that one amazing card you drafted from your deck it does you no good. This is not the case here as every card you draft is always available to you at the start of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Looks great. Can't wait.

Agreed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
likkuid wrote:
Cash-hog that ruins the game.

Since all you'd have to buy is a $15 starter and $12/month for six months, wouldn't this actually be cheaper than all the spending people do in rare chases?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottieATF wrote:
Without the ability to bring a reliable counter this format will be broken by certain cards. A Gobby or a Tsarina will ruin a draft squad as they won't have the pieces to slow it down.

In a card game very powerful cards can be balanced in a draft by two things. First their rarity, you are unlikely to be able to draft multiple of a powerful rare or even uncommon. This is not the case here as one draft of an SR can gain you access to multiple dice for that SR with subsequent drafts. Second you have the fact that you need to draw the card. If you don't see that one amazing card you drafted from your deck it does you no good. This is not the case here as every card you draft is always available to you at the start of the game.

That sounds like an assumption that a Gobby or Tsarina works in a vacuum. They... in fact... do not, and need other cards to really get the nasty stuff going. The Gobby or Tsarina need other pieces to make them hum, just as another deck will need pieces to slow it down.

Also, they are Super Rare so... there's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, with the exception of the Starter characters, anything that has a Super Rare has the smallest chances of showing up for more dice. Those characters are Common-Rare-Super Rare, opposed to other characters that are Common-Uncommon-Rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people like constructed and don't like draft.
Some people like draft and don't like constructed.
Some people like both constructed and draft.
Some people like neither constructed nor draft.

Now all bases are covered.

Though I'm not sure what that last group is even doing here. Get outta my store, you hooligans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
eekamouse wrote:
ScottieATF wrote:

That sounds like an assumption that a Gobby or Tsarina works in a vacuum. They... in fact... do not, and need other cards to really get the nasty stuff going. The Gobby or Tsarina need other pieces to make them hum, just as another deck will need pieces to slow it down.

Both work well in a vacuum and require little support, when your opponent can't reliably pick what they are bringing to counter. They don't have to be be running at peak potential to be effective because we are talking about a format where no squad is running at peak potential. You can win games in constructed just by buying straight Tsarina or Gobby if you opponent doesn't have effective counters. This is a format where by virtue of it many players won't have effective counters. The best defensive early buy isn't even available in this format.

Them being Super Rares doesn't help much, and they aren't the only cards that will cause issues just the most prominent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:

there's still a 41% chance to see at least one SR in 6-player pool, but as mentioned they're more likely to be short on dice. limited pools are unbalanced by nature so i don't have a problem with it, and i certainly like this better than semi-constructed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tosch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You have to remember that the other Black Widows and Green Goblins are also cheap cards (especially all the BWs). You act like everyone is going to pass you all the rest once you get that SR or that you will have a stock pile once you do crack one at the end...

If you have 4 BWs or GGs then either your opponents are terrible and you deserve to win anyways or there were a ton of other cheap cards going around (like storm and beast... who are good at countering them anyways).

If there an off chance that someone will put together an ACE team? Yes, but that happens in every draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
likkuid wrote:
HORRIBLE.

eekamouse wrote:
Looks great. Can't wait.

Rainbow Draft, spectrum, puny. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of draft format is kinda pricey. You need to buy 12 packs (they suggest 15 each!!!) and you have to WIN cause otherwise you'll probably go home with a ton of useless stuff (unless you didn't buy a single booster outside tournaments).

Also with 6 players per draft you'll need more than 1 GF each group of 6... with the supply available and incoming I believe they'll start rainbow draft in september.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
olimar44 wrote:
(like storm and beast... who are good at countering them anyways).

these are starter characters and won't be available aside from the uncommons, which won't get many dice. storm's uncommon is still worth playing even with only one die though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tosch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scud80 wrote:
olimar44 wrote:
(like storm and beast... who are good at countering them anyways).

these are starter characters and won't be available aside from the uncommons, which won't get many dice. storm's uncommon is still worth playing even with only one die though.

Completely missed that... anyways, even more reason for GG and BW to be top picks. Good luck getting a SR and more than maybe 2 dice for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm completely misunderstanding some of the comments.

Some cards are better than others in draft. What's new about that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's a problem if "get card x" = "win draft". this is likely not the case, but is more of a possibility for this game since all your cards are available immediately (unlike, eg, magic where you often won't even see your best card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.