Subject: Globals (from annoying to awesome) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have played around 20 games of MDM with my girlfriend, and I feel like for the first time we now have a solid grasp on the rules and cards.

For the first 15 or so games I found global abilities a novelty/annoyance... so much so that I would often pick action cards that had no globals.

But recently I got a better grasp of them, and it has added much more decision making depth than before.

Last night we played a game with these two key globals:

1) Pay a mask energy to pull a character from the attack zone into the field.

2) Pay a bolt energy to force a character to attack.

I almost always have 4 Beast dice, so there were numerous times where my girlfriend would try and force my beast to attack (to avoid it's blocking abilities), and then I would counter it with a mask energy. Likewise, if I saw a couple of Tsarina (super rares) about to be rolled, I would try and keep a mask or two behind to cancel their attacks. (anyone know the exact ruling on this?... if Tsarina attacks, and then I respond with a global to pull her back to the field.. I assume the 2 damage ability triggers regardless... correct?)

Anyway, long story short.. it previously felt like the only real choices I was making were purchasing ones.. this has added much more depth to combat, and I like it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
largelylegit wrote:
(anyone know the exact ruling on this?... if Tsarina attacks, and then I respond with a global to pull her back to the field.. I assume the 2 damage ability triggers regardless... correct?)
Yes, Tsarina's ability triggers during the Declare Attackers part of the Attack Step. Removing her will not negate her effect.

Likewise, if you Blocked with your Beast, or three, during the Declare Blockers part of the Attack Step, that is when his "When Blocking" abilities trigger. That too will not be negated if you pulled Tsarina back.

More info here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1179560/new-mdm-players-aid-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My games have been very much the opposite of yours OP, Distraction (mask to remove an attacker) has been in 75+% of the games and only one or two haven't featured Mr. Fantastic and/or Phoenix (mask or bolt to force someone to attack). Rare games without both Global effects out there, there is a completely different feel and pace to the game, with players having far less control over attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very interesting. So are you saying that you prefer the feel and pace with them included, or without?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the question isn't directed to me, but I prefer to include them. They offer the counter options and allow a lot of control in the game. Without them, I would equate it to playing Magic the Gathering and not having any Blue cards or threat of counter spells.

The game is fun without them, but I would be playing a completely different deck if they were not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
largelylegit wrote:
Very interesting. So are you saying that you prefer the feel and pace with them included, or without?

Thanks.

Actually, I can't say yet. For sure, there is much more control (for both generally) when the Globals are in, but it also feels like you have less control as well (if that makes sense), since you can get forced to attack. It also leads to energy saving measures (I've kept back 4 masks for Distraction on some turns!), thus the 5+ cost characters get rarely involved in numbers and that kinda sucks. But like, if neither "forced attack" Global is in, Beast-wall can be very hard to get through, whereas with them, one can force Beasts to attack (while the other pulls them back and in return forces the other guy's characters to attack to trigger Beast's blocking abilities). I want to get more plays without Distraction in particular, forced attacks aren't that bad, but one mask to pull back a big attacker feels at times cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Makes sense.

I guess that this adds replayability to the game, as the game can play very differently depending on whether these globals are included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Dohnim
msg tools
I still think globals should only be for the player who brings them (with the action cards useable by both however). You want taunt? Bring your own reed Richards. It'd also make villains viable since they couldn't all be rolled away by the sonderkommando they're teaming with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vote Kodos wrote:
I still think globals should only be for the player who brings them (with the action cards useable by both however). You want taunt? Bring your own reed Richards. It'd also make villains viable since they couldn't all be rolled away by the sonderkommando they're teaming with.
Completely agree here. It feels like one player brings all the mechanics and globals while the other player gets to bring a fun deck that they made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the globals a lot. The one where you pull back an attacker by paying a mask is used a lot. We also seem to like the one where you pay a bolt and get +1A. I like having to make a strategic decision about spending the energy or saving it to use it for globals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.