Subject: Trains rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Olson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
So -- I went to my FLGS store and finally tested "Trains".

I get the whole Dominion comparison -- but it feels like there's much more to this... but I want to make sure.

Who's played it? Thoughts? How about the re-playability factor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wuensche
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
The replayability is strong, even stronger with the upcoming expansion later this summer.

I finally tried a game of Dominion last week. The absence of the board made me realize how much more streamlined Dominion is, though. The exclusive focus on the deck and the restricted actions and buys mean that turns can be taken in a matter of seconds once the players understand the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first play of Trains was one of the quickest feeling I have experienced, and I believe the only person who knew the game beforehand was the person who owned it. We all had experience with Dominion though. I do think it has enough replay ability as is and now the expansions will add to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Dominion quite a bit (compared to how seldom I get to play games more than once) and I burned out on it rather quickly. Train takes the feeling of Dominion to a wholly different level by adding the board. There is much more variety here than with a base game of Dominion, I'd say. You can play rather aggressively by choosing a starting position next to another player and try to leech off his network or block him etc.. It's really awesome. And I've already played trains a couple of times which really means something in my case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played many deck builders, and Trains's addition of the board really makes it something unique. It adds several strategies to the game in the usage of Lay Rails/Station Expansion, which, in the context of players' starting locations and the setup of the market, can create different decision making and some nice game variance.

That said, because of the lack of defined actions in the game, there are some cards that, in our experience, have been definite "auto-buys", such as Garage and...the draw 1, +1 money...I think it's Passing Station? But I'm looking forward to the expansion adding more strategic possibilities within the market.

Definitely a great game, probably my top deck builder right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of my favorite games right now. I strongly prefer it to Dominion, and it has an expansion due out later this year: Trains: Rising Sun.

Trains is a great deck-building game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
It's one of my favorite games right now. I strongly prefer it to Dominion, and it has an expansion due out later this year: Trains: Rising Sun.

Trains is a great deck-building game!
Says there that it is NOT an expansion.... Second release that can be integrated or played separately.... so it's "Trains Intrigue"? Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go critical a bit. Trains is the exotic visitor and Dominion is the old predictable friend.

There is even more setup than with dominion, and I personally found it much easier to teach dominion than trying to teach essentially dominion + area control. The inconsistent art between the cards and the board also make it a little more confusing for new players (wait that's a mountain?).

There are some little things too that annoy me about Trains, but essentially the main thing is Dominion still gets to my table occasionally, but no one has asked for Trains since the first flush of cult of the new. Not at my table, nor at game nights where I offer to bring games. Compared to the fact that I still get play from Dominion.

Trains certainly has more to it than dominion from a mechanics perspective and I hope the upcoming expansions bring more life to it, but it's current status is overhyped. So many talk about how much potential the game has for the future, but I prefer to play a game that exists then say it sucks compared to something that doesn't exist (expansions). I can play dominion intrigue right now. It's comfortable.

(Of course, neither me nor many from my gaming group ever really got into all the digital Dominion games that burned out so many players. I'm sure after 100 or more plays of the same game in a year we'd burn out too.)

I find Trains is great for people who have played Dominion, understand deckbuilders and are looking for something new, but casual gamers who have no experience with deckbulders struggle with essentially learning multiple new mechanisms. At the same time, most of my friends seem to come back to Dominion because it is a bit simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains went over fairly well with my group(s) but the game lacks a significant amount of depth right now. The existing maps are also not designed for lower player counts, although I believe the upcoming map packs will address that.

Overall we had fun with it but the clear similarities to Dominion are very warranted (several of the cards in the base game are nearly identical analogues to ones in Dominion). I'm keeping just Dominion but I don't think Trains is a bad game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.