Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the most common format that players who choose to play constructed Blue Moon would use?

Is it simply: 'Use Inquisitors, and all cards in the set are available for use'?

Do people sometimes play with a less powerful version such as 'no inquisitors, no emissary/influence/interference cards'? Or do people jump from preconstructed decks into full on, everything allowed deckbuilding?

It seems that playing a deck with Hyla cards against one without them would be very unfair, and that anyone playing constructed would be advised to put in some Hyla?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been two main forms of constructed deck play. (Note that emissaries and Buka families aren't considered here.)

Constructed deck play from the original eight decks (or possibly nine with the Buka). No inquisitors, 10 moons.

Constructed deck play with all cards, using inquisitors.

Of course these arose in part from how the game was published. But they still make a great deal of sense.

The first format is more constrained. It's about deck customisation. You can do a reasonable amount with ten moons, and of course you start with the 29 cards from your people, no cards from other peoples. (Mutants aren't included, but as they cost zero moons, you can have any.) it's also a good format to try some specific things out.

The second format is the everything goes format. Still not deckbuilding from a blank sheet of paper, but you can do quite a bit. Even with no extra moons, free Hyla and cheap Tutu make a significant difference.

No, don't play first format against second. It should be a walkover.

Of course it's easy to devise alternative formats without breaking any rules. All cards but only ten moons, no inquisitors, is an obvious one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timm Sch
msg tools
mb
Alexfrog wrote:

It seems that playing a deck with Hyla cards against one without them would be very unfair, and that anyone playing constructed would be advised to put in some Hyla?

If you have a "30 cards / 10 moons"-deck and you want to play against a constructed (with inq) just take swift-fist and add 2 hyla and remove 2 weak cards from your deck. Thats the easiest way to start with the constructed (with inq) format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
timmster49 wrote:

If you have a "30 cards / 10 moons"-deck and you want to play against a constructed (with inq) just take swift-fist and add 2 hyla and remove 2 weak cards from your deck. Thats the easiest way to start with the constructed (with inq) format.

While I haven't played constructed so far, I am pretty sure that when one switches from the first format Dearlove described above to the second, it is almost always a very good idea to also add the two new cards for your race with moons to the deck (from the three new cards for each race from the two Emissaries & Inquisitors expansions).
For instance, the Mimix have their two characters with the highest power values (Mimix 01 and Mimix 02, worth 3 moons each) as those cards. You would definitely want to include them in every Mimix deck that allows the cards from the Emissaries & Inquisitors expansions. Hoax, Khind, Pillar and Aqua even get a new 4 moon card. In case of the Hoax, you also need to keep the requirements for this new 4 moon card Hoax 31 in mind, I would guess this usually means you want to add more than just 2 Hyla cards to your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darador wrote:
While I haven't played constructed so far, I am pretty sure that when one switches from the first format Dearlove described above to the second, it is almost always a very good idea to also add the two new cards for your race with moons to the deck (from the three new cards for each race from the two Emissaries & Inquisitors expansions).

I was assuming this with the "all cards" description. All three in fact (though Chosen Ones being zero moons, that's an academic point, except to make them all available).

s/race/people/ incidentally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

I was assuming this with the "all cards" description.

Not quite sure why you mention this - are you saying that "your" first format was supposed to include the three new race cards from the two Emissaries & Inquisitors expansions? (That is not what you wrote above, you only talk of "all cards" for the second format and specifically mention 29 race cards for the first format, not 32.)

My posting was simply meant as an addendum to Timmster49's posting. He gave useful advice on how to switch from the first constructed format to the second constructed format as easily as possible (Swift-Fist as inquisitor and only exchanging two weak cards against two Hyla cards). But I think only doing that doesn't seem quite enough even when one doesn't want to put in much work. As a minimum, one should also take out two further weak cards and include the two new race cards with moons instead (except maybe new cards with only 1 moon in some cases).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timm Sch
msg tools
mb
Darador wrote:
But I think only doing that doesn't seem quite enough even when one doesn't want to put in much work. As a minimum, one should also take out two further weak cards and include the two new race cards with moons instead

That is true. So taking out 4 weak cards adding 2 hyla and the 2 "new" cards is the way to do it. I thought the deck you start with may already contain the new two cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timmster49 wrote:
Darador wrote:
[q="Dearlove"] But I think only doing that doesn't seem quite enough even when one doesn't want to put in much work. As a minimum, one should also take out two further weak cards and include the two new race cards with moons instead

That is true. So taking out 4 weak cards adding 2 hyla and the 2 "new" cards is the way to do it. I thought the deck you start with may already contain the new two cards.

Something wrong with the quoting, I didn't say that.

I also am not sure exactly what's being suggested there. It's not where I'd start by any reading.

Since I'm posting, I'd say first decide if you want to jump right in feet first, or be more gradual. I'd recommend the latter for most people who aren't (for example) serious MtG players.

The gradual start is to take the eight (let's leave the Buka out for he moment) preconstructed decks. Swap the three "guest" cards in each into the people deck. Throw the eight mutants (and if you like, all the other zero moon cards) into a pool. Pick one of the eight peoples, then construct with no more than ten outside moons from the other seven peoples and the zero moon cards (including mutants). None of the extra cards, no Hyla, etc.

That will, for example, allow you to, for example, create a Mimix deck that's better than the preconstructed Mimix deck. You can patch up weaknesses, or improve on strengths, or put in what you think are undercoated cards, or whatever.

Jumping in the deep end, you pick a people (let's say Pillar), take all 32 Pillar cards (card 32 has zero moons, so you can just consider it in with everything else), pick an inquisitor, and build a deck with 10 to 25 extra moons from all the other cards in the game, with 30 to 45 cards (not in that order) and maybe an ability.

Of course there are intermediate options between those two. Those two are the extremes, and also the well-defined cases. Other options (I could suggest some, but not really the point) are up to you, whatever works for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.