Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a kids' game but I have a couple of rules questions:

First, do I have the following rule right? If all your dice come up cars, then your turn is over and your score is zero, no matter whether you are in a regular rolling phase or a Go Nuts rolling phase. Is that right?

(An alternative is that the "all cars ends turn" rule does NOT apply in the Go Nuts phase; on this alternative, the only thing that can end a Go Nuts phase is when all opponents roll dogs.)

(By the way, I realize that in a Go Nuts phase you do NOT set cars aside. So the only way to lose your turn and points in a Go Nuts phase, if the "all cars ends turn" rule applies, is for all the dice you are rolling in a Go Nuts phase simultaneously to come up cars.)

Second, suppose all but one of your dice are cars. So you have one die left and you must decide whether or not to roll it. If you decide to roll and you roll an acorn with it, the "one die left" rule applies and you get to pick up all five dice and continue rolling -- yay! If instead you roll a car, then your turn is over and you lose all your accumulated points (assuming the answer to question #1 is that yes, the "all cars ends turn" rule applies in a Go Nuts phase).

So far so good. But suppose you roll a squirrel with your one remaining die. Then you enter a Go Nuts phase, right? True, you only rolled one die. But it's still the case that all the dice you rolled turned up squirrel. So you enter a Go Nuts phase in which you frantically roll just one die -- right?

Third, suppose you are in a Go Nuts rolling phase and you are rolling just one die (as in the scenario I just sketched above in question #2). So you and your opponents are frantically rolling. If you roll an acorn during this Go Nuts phase, does the "one die left" rule still apply, thereby allowing you to roll all five dice again?

And if the "one die left" rule does apply, when you pick up your five die and starting rolling them, are you still in a Go Nuts rolling phase, or does that "one die rule" cancel the Go Nuts phase and place you back in a regular rolling phase?

(An alternative to the above is that the "one die left" rule only applies in regular rolling, NOT during a Go Nuts rolling phase, so that during a Go Nuts rolling phase with one die the roller keeps going with one die till either he/she rolls a car or all the opponents roll dogs.)

Sorry for the rules lawyerly questions... No big deal. Just curious how others play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
So far so good. But suppose you roll a squirrel with your one remaining die. Then you enter a Go Nuts phase, right?

A partial answer to my questions above (it always helps to read the rule book thoroughly!)

On my first read through the rules I missed the following text:

Quote:
Note: If you have one die left and roll a car, it ends your turn and wipes out your score for that turn. Rolling a squirrel also wipes out your score but you get to play a Go Nuts! round.

So that answer my second question (quoted above) in the affirmative.

I'm still curious about my questions 1 and 3, though!

FWIW, I'm going to treat the Go Nuts phase as one where all the usual rules are suspended. That is to say:

No "one die left" rule in effect (so, if you are in a Go Nuts phase with one die and you roll an acorn, you do NOT pick up all five dice; you just continue rolling your single die).

No "all cars ends turn" rule in effect (so if you roll all cars during a Go Nuts phase, you just pick up your dice and keep rolling).

Basically, I'll play that in a Go Nuts phase the ONLY thing that can stop your turn is all your opponents achieving a dog roll on their die.

I think there are two reasons that favor this interpretation, one to do with simplicity and the other to do with game play.

Simplicity:
If the only thing that stops a Go Nuts roller is dogs, there is less to keep track of (which is a good thing since it's hard to keep track of much during a frantic Go Nuts phase). Plus, this is a kids game and so the fewer things for players to keep track of, the better.

Game play: Suppose you are in a Go Nuts phase with just one die. Suppose further that (contrary to my suggestion), the "all cars ends turn" rule is in effect. Then once you get a few acorns under your belt as the Go Nuts roller, you might prefer not to roll much further, since a single car will wipe out your turn score. So you might hesitate between rolls, in the hopes that your opponents get the dogs they are aiming for, thereby allowing your turn to end. Meanwhile if you are an opponent rolling for dogs, you might hesitate between YOUR rolls, hoping the Go Nuts roller rolls a car and forfeits his/her score. See the problem? All players hesitating between turns would slow things down and be awkward.

Hence, my preference for suspending all rules in a Go Nuts phase except for the rule to keep rolling until all your opponents have rolled a dog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLeod
Canada
Lloydminster
Alberta
flag msg tools
The way we play is that if all cars come up during Go Nuts, that nothing happens. The only factor that stops that phase is all dogs being rolled.

Pretty much the last line of your most recent post sums it all up.

Also, one way we changed the game slightly to make it a little crazy, is that you have to hit 50 points exactly. If you roll over, you instead of going up, go down the amount rolled. That is, you do not go up to 50 and start subtracting points, but insteadd from the score you had at the start of the turn. The second you roll past 50, your turn ends and you go down. (Example: If i'm at 42 points and roll a total of 10 points in my current turn, my turn stops immediately, and I drop not to 48 (up 8 to 50 and down 2), but instead go straight back from 42 to 32). It really changes the strategy up once you are around 35-40 points. We have also extended the game to 100 and had done the rule previously mentioned. Also fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, re-reading my initial post I realize I must have been undergoing some OCD episode or something.

Having played the game dozens of times now, it is crystal clear to me that in a Go Nuts phase, all other rules are suspended. The roller simply keeps rolling and counting acorns, ignoring cars and squirrels, until all the opponents have rolled a dog.

Fun game. My kids love it even as teenagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.